Self Movie Scraping Question
I have all my movies, posters, fanart, and .nfo files on my nas. I have organized everything with the VI Media Manager and have everything set the way I want it to appear on my ATV2 running XBMC.

They are in the format of:
Nas NFS Share
++Movies:
+++Movie Name - Date
++++<movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.mkv
++++<movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.nfo
++++<movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn
++++<movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-fanart.jpg

Now since I am on frodo, and just did a full reinstall, I am trying to become more compliant with the naming structure liosted in the wiki. Which means nuking the .tbn files and replacing them with -poster.jpg.

I have renamed all of my .tbn files from <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn to <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg

So the question is, do I need to go into every single .nfo file and change the pointer to the poster from <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn to <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg. I ask because all thumbs are hard coded in the .nfo files to link to the previous TBN file for each movie folder.

Or will XBMC be smart enough to automatically grab <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg or will it still be looking for the <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn that is still hard coded into the .nfo file for that movie.

Hope that makes sense.

Double Thanks!
For instance, in Home Alone in my .nfo file, I have the following line:

<thumb>Home Alone_720P_tt0099785.tbn</thumb>

I have now changed it to:

<thumb>Home Alone_720P_tt0099785-poster.jpg</thumb>

Now that was easy. However, I have thousands of nfo files to do that to. So once again, the question is, do I need to go into every single .nfo file and change the pointer to the poster from <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn to <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg. I ask because all thumbs are hard coded in the .nfo files to link to the previous TBN file for each movie folder.

Or will XBMC be smart enough to automatically grab <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg or will it still be looking for the <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>.tbn that is still hard coded into the .nfo file for that movie.

Thanks

Or perhaps if the thumbs don't need to be hard coded in the nfo file, I can write a script that goes through each .nfo file and deletes any lines that have <thumb>WILDCARD</thumb>. That would remove the pointer to the poster, the fanart and also delete all those thousand lines of text inside the cast linking to online actor thumbs.

At that point, there would be no thumb links or pointers in any of the .nfo files. At that point, one wouild hope XBMC could just realize there are <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-poster.jpg and <movie name_Resolution_IMDB#>-fanart.jpg in the same directory as that movie.
I have been using NFOs for years and use Media Companion to generate them.
I dont recall seeing if they have any thumbs in the nfos, but I dont think so, as when I change the thumbs or whatever it gets updated.
XBMC should know and is coded that way
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Thumbnails

*-poster is newer after Eden release I believe.
If you really want
It should be rather non difficult to use Notepad++ Find/Replace , in files, feature and swap .tbn</thumb> with -poster.jpg</thumb> in one click.
Search first, provide details and keep forums clean. Mark things solved, to close them out and acknowledge helpful volunteers who share. If I have helped, click the plus button.
I was originally going to do a multi file find/replace using sed, however I discovered that there are a few files which escaped my naming convention. So that would lead me to go to every nfo and examine directly. if i could remove all <thumb>***</thumb> entries from all .nfo files, that would solve the issue. That would also kill all thumbnails to cast, but I don't ever use cast icons anyways.

Then maybe I should change to the alt format for xbmc and just call all posters poster.jpg and all fanart just fanart.jpg. However, when i do an export of the video library, XBMC changes them to the -poster.jpg format. So i would have poster-poster.jpg and fanart-fanart.jpg after an export of the library through settings.

I have a feeling that Vi media manager is the culprit that put in the hard links to thumbs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Self Movie Scraping Question0