Time to try this out
Been running XBMC for my library and addons for quite some time now. Time to try and integrate live tv. I've read through many posts and i've read through LifeHacker's guide as well. I simply need some recommendations as to USB TV Tuners.

Is there anyone running a USB TV Tuner with the following type of setup:

- Satelite TV to set top (dish network)
- set top into USB TV Tuner inserted into HTPC running NextPVR
- NextPVR integrated into XBMC

If so, could you please let me know exactly which USB TV Tuner you are using? I currently control navigation in xbmc using a WMC remote with a USB IR. I want to be sure that EPG info will come down, and that I will be able to change channel and navigate using the same WMC remote.. ie: I don't want to have to change channels using the dish networks remote.

As usual, any and all info is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I have provided enough info as to what I am looking to get accomplished so that someone will be able to provide TV Tuner info.

Thanks in advance!
This bit is confusing me:

Quote:set top into USB TV Tuner

Can you expand on that a bit? Does your STB have some kind of passthrough function, or are you looking to feed an AV signal (HDMI, RCA, even SCART or coax) into the tuner - which won't work?[/quote]
Right. Sorry for the confusion. My external sat cable goes into the back of my STB (LNB in) in order to decrypt the signal. From there, I have a few options:

1 - component and rca out - for direct connection into my TV
2 - LNB out - for connection to a second STB (i don't have one, just describing the back of my receiver)
3 - ANT - Connects to TV antenna input
4 - TV/VCR - For connection to a VCR

Connections 2,3 and 4 are all coax. My thought is that i should be able to use either ANT or TV/VCR to go into a USB type TV Tuner such as the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q in conjunction with NextPVR and XBMC but I simply am not familiar enough with all the backend technology to make an accurate assessment on my own.

Here is my reasoning; the TV/VCR coax on the back of my receiver (which, incidentally, is the iLink-210) must serve as a decoded signal to go to recording devices. However, not sure the EPG and channels will come down and ultimately be controllable ie: need to change channels from the iLink-210. The ANT coax on the back of my receiver seems like it will act more in the fashion that I would like wherein it will send a decoded stream to the TV (or TV Tuner) along with all EPG and Channel info thus allowing for NextPVR to control it.

The big push here is to get integrated with XBMC and control via my WMC remote and not the crappy remote that came with the iLink-210.

I would have thought that there were multiple Satelite viewers who were attempting to go from their sat receivers into a TV Tuner integrated into XBMC.... is that not the case? Thanks again for any and all info!
(2014-01-17, 16:14)Adrenachrone Wrote: I would have thought that there were multiple Satelite viewers who were attempting to go from their sat receivers into a TV Tuner integrated into XBMC.... is that not the case? Thanks again for any and all info!

Afraid not. The Satellite/cable Companies generally try to restrict you to their own (controlled and restrictive) hardware. Your SAT box acts as TV tuner and will only output a single channel to the TV (or XBMC).
If you want live TV through XBMC, you would normally bypass the SAT box entirely and connect your satellite directly to the SAT tuner on the XBMC box. I don't know dish network so I can't comment specifically, but unless the signal is unencrypted you may have problems trying to do this.
You can use a capture card like the Hauppauge HD-PVR if you need USB or the Colossus for the PCI-express version.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

I use the Colossus with Media Portal as the backend.
Thanks T-Magnus! Just sent you a PM. Thanks also to all who took the time to share their input.
Yep HD_PVR with mythtv.

Downside:

*only record one channel at once.
*need to control the STB via firewire or a IR Blaster

Upside:

* the "analogue hole"

So long as STB providers have component out enabled, this will work. Of course the next time your provider 'upgrades' you, you may be left without component out.

Another option might be a DVB-S card with some sort of CAM interface. Possibly not within your providers T&C so ssssshhhhhhh.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Time to try this out0