[OSX] Can't get Live TV or Recorded content to play
Hello, I am new to this PVR stuff through XBMC, so there is a small chance I might be doing something wrong.

I am trying to do this on an OS X machine running Mavericks and Frodo. I also tried it on an ATV2 running the latest jailbreakable version with Frodo installed.

I installed the server part on my Windows 7 WMC machine that I use constantly to record content and watch TV, so that is all set up.

Whenever I try to play any channels on either the OSX install or on the ATV2, when trying that main list of the channels that it found it just doesn't do anything. When I pull up the EPG, I choose a show on a channel that is currently on and tell it to switch to that. After a few seconds of trying with the waiting thing in the lower right, it comes up with the "This channel cannot be played. Check the log for details." message. When I go in the recorded TV section to try to play something, I choose the episode I want to play, hit enter, but nothing happens. It acts like I didn't do anything.

I installed the latest non-beta build of XBMC on my Windows 7 machine that is also the WMC machine and put the PVR.WMC on it. It plays back live TV just fine. I didn't try the recorded stuff. So, at least I know I have the server side stuff set up right.

I just cannot for the life of me figure out what is going on when trying to do it from a remote machine. I left everything as default when I first set it up, then I went and tried to change a couple of things. I can't exactly remember what I tried right off the top of my head. I am just getting frustrated with this. I have no clue what is going on. If someone can help me figure this out, I would greatly appreciate it.
Ok, never mind. I think I must have gone really stupid or just forgot one simple thing. Reboot the Windows machine. LOL. It appears to be working now on the OSX machine. Smile
Have you been through the setup instructions on the wiki linked at the top of the forum? You need to setup a share on the Windows 7 PC to the recorded TV folder, and since you are coming from a non windows remote client, you also need to configure a username and password (note that in windows "Everyone" does not mean Anyone, they still need to be a known account). Alternatively you can configure Windows 7 to turn off password protected sharing in which case it really is anonymous... that is done in the Advanced Network section
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Yeah, I had done all of that stuff. I've done all kinds of stuff like this for years. You'd think I'd know better. LOL I've had everything shared and my network security set up for a long long time now, so there was none of that in the way. It was just a simple fact of my needing to reboot my Windows machine to make everything work.

Well, I say everything, but that is not entirely true. I can't get a single recording to play back through XBMC from the Windows box. I've got the username and password info put in on the server side, I've connected to that folder from the Mac side, but it just still won't play. Not sure what the deal is.
And as soon as I say any of that, it no longer works. I didn't actually try it on my OS X machine last night when I found it working. I was using my ATV2 when it worked. Oh well, this appears to be a major headache. Not sure if it is worth it.

EDIT: I can play channels from my HDHRPrime tuner via the "HDHomeRun Live DMS" entry in the video files area just fine. So, I know it can do at least that. Smile
Ok, turns out there was something on my network hosing the whole deal. Not only was it affecting this, but it was making my sons Windows 8 Media Center box not be able to show any TV. I just tried playing back recorded content and it worked. It also started showing live TV immediately when I told it to. So, nevermind. Smile
cool. Thanks for letting us know.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[OSX] Can't get Live TV or Recorded content to play0