Ripping to MKV
I have just started trying to convert movies using MakeMKV. I have the store bought DVD and on some I also have a shrunk version on burned DVD's. None are Blue-Ray.

I am surprised how big the files are coming out. For the movie only they seem to be about the same size as the shrunk ones or bigger. I have a 1080P TV. Do I have something set wrong? Or is it normal to be getting 5-7GB files for each rip? I am right on the borderline of being able to fit my DVD's on the current hard drives I have. So I want to make sure I am not wasting space.
Makemkv doesn't shrink or convert anything - it merely takes the .VOB files, sews them together (minus subtitles and audio tracks as you request) and pops them into an .MKV file. So yes, it could potentially be the same size as it was on the original disc.

If you want to shrink them down, look to Handbrake (which will rip and encode directly from DVD IIRC, or will certainly work on the MKVs you have).
(2014-01-17, 17:48)Lake Camelot Wrote: Or is it normal to be getting 5-7GB files for each rip?
It is normal size for DVD, and it is nothing compare to my Avatar blu-ray nearly 50GB....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-01-17, 17:48)Lake Camelot Wrote: I have just started trying to convert movies using MakeMKV. I have the store bought DVD and on some I also have a shrunk version on burned DVD's. None are Blue-Ray.

I am surprised how big the files are coming out. For the movie only they seem to be about the same size as the shrunk ones or bigger. I have a 1080P TV. Do I have something set wrong? Or is it normal to be getting 5-7GB files for each rip? I am right on the borderline of being able to fit my DVD's on the current hard drives I have. So I want to make sure I am not wasting space.

That's normal.

You're choices are:
-get a bigger hard drive/add a big hard drive
-use handbrake to compress the videos. There are many guides out there on how to do this. You can shrink them considerably with a loss in quality or shrink them to about 1/4 of their original size with no perceivable difference (to me).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping to MKV0