Win New user looking for guidance
Hey All,
I'm new to XBMC, and have been reading every guide I can find and any newbie questions I see posted in the forums. Overall I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the different versions available, and the complete ability to customize it anyway I see fit. I'm going to try and explain what my overall goals are and hope to get some guidance on more sources to read outside of the wiki, versions to focus on, or if I'm simply asking too much.

I'm currently organizing my music and movies, working on the proper tags and files. We plan on dropping cable, and using hulu plus and Netflix and the convenience of xbmc in its place. My hope is to eventually use XBMC in a whole home system for both video and music, but I do understand that type of integration is tricky at best right now.

We're going to start with one TV/stereo, and use Android phones as the remotes. Should I start with Gotham or Frodo? Should I run HDMI to the TV, or is it worth experimenting with chromecast as a newbie to XBMC? As I read older threads, I'm worried the information is outdated, are there any threads or resources you'd recommend? Are there any obvious problems for what I'm trying to do? Thanks for the help in advance , I hope this information wasn't to vague or general, and I hope this was the right spot to ask.
Personally I don't know whether xbmc does hulu plus, but there are certainly addons for netflix.

don't bother with chromecast, xbmc is designed to be used as a mediapc plugged in by hdmi direct to the tv.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The Hulu add-on will work with Hulu Plus, last I heard. Be sure to check out the beta version mentioned here: Hulu (wiki)
From what I understand Yatse on android accomplishes a task similar to chromecast. It allows you to "Send to XBMC" from your android powered devices and quite honestly is the best thing I've found for a wifi remote.

There's also a chrome extension called "Play to XMBC" that lets you send videos from your browser to XMBC, albeit with strict limitation on the links with which it works.
Thank you for the quick responses. I'll look into yatse and grab the Hulu and Netflix addons, glad to hear they work. Sounds like my Google searches did get old information. Would you recommend I start with Gotham or Frodo? Is Gotham stable enough for a first time user?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New user looking for guidance0