Linux AHEM! Let me clear my throat...
(2014-01-22, 20:07)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 20:01)tential Wrote: Assuming a lot? I assumed 1 thing. The price of the hard drive lol.

Still a LOT of hard drives and a LOT of cash. $80 would be $10240.

10k on just Hard Drives is still a lot!!!!!!

I am struggling to fill up 20 TB of space let alone 512. What do you have on there lol.....

You also assumed EVERY partition, on EVERY DRIVE to be 100% full...and ALL bought TODAY at TODAY's prices. Remember how cheap they were before the flood in Thailand?
You should visit your good will store (if you are in North America) or flea market in the rest of the world...pick up used DVDs and BluRays for pennies...
You also discover there is a world of cinema outside of hollywood :-)
It all adds up quickly...

Exactly! Just ask YIFY
@KrazyJoe,
The idea to use XBMC was to negate the need for NetFlix, if I am commited to that idea, then I gotta have a setup that at least is as good as NetFlix and at most leaves it in the dust...
Kinda like put up or...
(2014-01-22, 20:07)jacintech.fire Wrote:
(2014-01-22, 20:01)tential Wrote: Assuming a lot? I assumed 1 thing. The price of the hard drive lol.

Still a LOT of hard drives and a LOT of cash. $80 would be $10240.

10k on just Hard Drives is still a lot!!!!!!

I am struggling to fill up 20 TB of space let alone 512. What do you have on there lol.....

You also assumed EVERY partition, on EVERY DRIVE to be 100% full...and ALL bought TODAY at TODAY's prices. Remember how cheap they were before the flood in Thailand?
You should visit your good will store (if you are in North America) or flea market in the rest of the world...pick up used DVDs and BluRays for pennies...
You also discover there is a world of cinema outside of hollywood :-)
It all adds up quickly...

I'm confused if you understand what the word "assume" means.

I didn't assume anything so please, stop putting words in my mouth. I do remember how cheap they were before the flood, and it wasn't below 80 USD. I'm now starting to see why your other threads didn't go too well. You don't have very good reading comprehension/response skills.
@tential,

"...I am struggling to fill up 20 TB of space let alone 512. What do you have on there lol..."

Note that the difference between wholesale vs retail pricing is sometimes staggering, specially when considering shipping and manufacturing costs; and that those shipping and manufacturing costs are influenced in turn my the price of certain commodities (oil, rare earth metals...); which are in turn influenced by temporal, localized and sporadic events near the supply lines (The Arab Spring, Fighting in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Floods in South-East Asia)...

"...You don't have very good reading comprehension/response skills..."

Quite true. I am but a simple peasant. A poor fisherman, sitting on a boat in the mid Atlantic, off the coast of Cape Verde and the Gulf of Guinea, so please forgive my ignorance..
512tb of space is insane.
(2014-01-29, 07:50)tsiroadkill Wrote: 512tb of space is insane.

Indeed Rofl
512TB is not much acctually, think about 4K and 8K in the futureWink
Now some can feel it is way to much but not in the futureBig Grin

I have 20TB now in raidz or raid5, but will expand in the summer with 32 to 40TB raidz raid5
(2014-01-30, 11:57)rogern Wrote: 512TB is not much acctually, think about 4K and 8K in the futureWink
Now some can feel it is way to much but not in the futureBig Grin

I have 20TB now in raidz or raid5, but will expand in the summer with 32 to 40TB raidz raid5

That is also true...
You start with the idea that a 10 tittle library will be enough...18,000+ titles later, you still are not satisfied...
Photo 
My future NAS setups will be with some of these

They holds 20 hdd bays but i am not sure wich mainboards to use when 4K/8K is thereWink

These is not ment for E-ATX eighter an will not be so deep as E-ATX racks gets and cheap
I'll bet these would be cheaper:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180...4&at_pos=2
http://www.45drives.com/products/order/enclosure.php
(2014-02-03, 16:15)CaptainPsycho Wrote: I'll bet these would be cheaper:

http://blog.backblaze.com/2013/02/20/180...4&at_pos=2
http://www.45drives.com/products/order/enclosure.php
I have known about the backblaze pods for years; but I wasn't convinced the throughput I would get validated the expense. I built my pods for far less than $1,900+ and managed to cram 16x 4TB...
The rack is quite cheap as 350$ pluss taxes though

link

And with some LSI SAS controllers i can build the nas.

Not intended to highjack this thread Wink
(2014-02-03, 21:08)rogern Wrote: The rack is quite cheap as 350$ pluss taxes though

link

And with some LSI SAS controllers i can build the nas.

Not intended to highjack this thread Wink

The Rosewill Swappable Chasis is half as much and holds 16x drives. I have a self imposed limit on the number of drives per server (again, no particular reason; specially now with Openstack up and running)...
512TB? wow,......I'm not sure the NSA has that kind of storage. Wink

(2014-02-07, 16:06)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: 512TB? wow,......I'm not sure the NSA has that kind of storage. Wink

Oh great! Now I'm being tracked! Sad
(2014-02-07, 16:06)GortWillSaveUs Wrote: 512TB? wow,......I'm not sure the NSA has that kind of storage. Wink

Oh great! Now I'm being tracked! Sad

Not to worry...your private info is safe with me...

I am considering building another rack, I am in the process of converting ALL my media library into OpenStack objects and I need a couple of servers to start the transfer...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AHEM! Let me clear my throat...0