OS X Lossless PCM blu-Ray tracks
I have been reading that HD audio can not be passed through under OS X. While doing some digging around about this I came across a thread on another website that asserts that if you convert the proprietary audio into LPCM and then play the audio as PCM you will be able to pass the HD audio to a receiver which can then decode it properly.

This is the thread: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/3...pid=246237

In post #12, the poster writes:
Quote:I was able to use clown_bd (via VM) to read an MKV file that I created in MakeMKV to include a BR disc's DTS-HD track, take the resulting LPCM file (which is output as a .wav audio file) and use Mkvtoolnix to combine it back into a new MKV file for playing

Has anybody tried to do this and have it work using XBMC?

I would try this but I won't have a capable receiver for about another 6 months.
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
It's not passthrough, it's just converting the audio to another format and then sending it over HDMI. XBMC for Mac OS X should already do this. In other words, Mac OS X has no problem playing back HD audio tracks. The issue is passing the raw audio stream, untouched, to the audio receiver, which is not supported in Mac OS X's hardware drivers.
(2014-01-19, 05:51)Ned Scott Wrote: It's not passthrough, it's just converting the audio to another format and then sending it over HDMI. XBMC for Mac OS X should already do this. In other words, Mac OS X has no problem playing back HD audio tracks. The issue is passing the raw audio stream, untouched, to the audio receiver, which is not supported in Mac OS X's hardware drivers.

So you are saying that if the bluray has DTS-MA, when the ripped bluray is played back, over HDMI, using XBMC, the receiver will decode DTS-MA and show it? How much of a loss in audio quality is there?

Will this also work if I use the digital optical output?
Kodi 17, Transparency Skin
PogoPlug v4 running Arm Linux 4.4.63 as MySQL (mariadb) server.
Mac OS 10.12.5
2015 27" iMac 3.3 GHz Quad, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
2015 13" Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD
AppleTV 4 TV OS 10
For DTS-MA XBMC will send the DTS core portion. The receiver will just see it as DTS, rather than DTS-MA. As for the quality difference, I do not know since I don't personally have any HD audio equipment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Lossless PCM blu-Ray tracks0