'Random Movies' background (home screen) shows random black screens
I am running Frodo 12.3 and using Aeon Nox 4.1.9.

I recently enabled the 'Random Movies' background for 'Movies' on the Home screen (and the Random Episodes background for TV Shows) and whilst it's rotating through some background images fine every 10 seconds or so, quite frequently it'll just go black, like it's trying to display artwork that doesn't actually exist.

Is this a known issue or is there a known solution for this?

I've tried running the Artwork Downloader manually, getting all types of Artwork, but even after this it doesn't appear to have made a difference?

Any help would be much appreciated...
I just wanted to post an update as this now seems to be fixed. I used the brilliant Texture Cache Maintenance Utility from MilhouseVH. Since running that, everything has been looking 100%.

Thanks a lot to Milhouse for his help!
Just out of interest did this start on a clean install of xbmc?

This problem has just started for me after installing a ssd and doing a clean install of windows and frodo 12.3. Where as previous i upgraded to 12.3 from 12.2 and all custom backgrounds worked fine.
So i uninstalled 12.3, reinstalled 12.2 and redid custom menus, backgrounds etc... all working fine with no blank backgrounds. Just updated to 12.3 and the problems gone.
(2014-01-20, 18:59)starnzy Wrote: I just wanted to post an update as this now seems to be fixed. I used the brilliant Texture Cache Maintenance Utility from MilhouseVH. Since running that, everything has been looking 100%.

Thanks a lot to Milhouse for his help!

I have exactly the same problem.

I'm on OPenelec. What's the procedure for this? That thread is quite technical.
OSMC Vero 4K, Intel NUC Celeron 847, ODroid N2+, Raspberry Pi3 LibreELEC. Amazon Fire TV
Vizio  Atmos 7.1
LG 65" OLED
(2014-01-25, 03:00)moofandango Wrote: Just out of interest did this start on a clean install of xbmc?

This problem has just started for me after installing a ssd and doing a clean install of windows and frodo 12.3. Where as previous i upgraded to 12.3 from 12.2 and all custom backgrounds worked fine.

Sorry for the delay responding - It happened after doing clean install. I uninstalled 12.2 and installed a new 12.3 installation, so all previous files were removed before the new install.
I have this issue with 12.0. Had to do a clean install as Windows 8.1 messed up my OS and now both my Movies and TV Shows main menu items won't show the random movies/episodes background. What causes this and how do you fix it?
I think the screen might be blank because it's trying to access a background that hasn't downloaded yet. I had the same problem after doing a clean install and fixed it by going through my movie collection and making sure each movie had the backdrop downloaded.
(2014-02-06, 16:35)Doctor Eggs Wrote: I think the screen might be blank because it's trying to access a background that hasn't downloaded yet. I had the same problem after doing a clean install and fixed it by going through my movie collection and making sure each movie had the backdrop downloaded.

Hmmmm..... I export my library to individual files as back-up and that's where my new library was scraped from. So is the main library not saving the backgrounds to itself then? I can choose the "New Movies/Episodes" background option and that works, but not simply random (which never seemed to be all that random to begin with, tons of repeats).
So when you go into your movie collection and scroll through all of your movies you see all of the backgrounds for each movie?
(2014-02-07, 17:50)Doctor Eggs Wrote: So when you go into your movie collection and scroll through all of your movies you see all of the backgrounds for each movie?

Yup. Just when I'm on the main menu I get no random movies, or episode when I'm on TV Shows. The last image from the previous menu item remains, power or system or whatever.
Bump to hopefully be seen by someone who knows how to fix my issue. On the main screen when on the Movies menu item the "random movies" background does not work. Same thing on TV Shows, no "random TV Shows". Any help?
Any fix here? I have the same issue. This worked awesome. I deleted my textures & image folders. Rescrape from my NFOs only. Everything works great except 1tv show and random movie backgrounds of the main menu screen. The rest is good.
I had the same issue.

If you look in the xbmc.log file you'll see "Unsupported Protocol(image)" errors whenever a blank background is shown.

This occurs when the background has not been cached in the textures database.

I fixed this by downloading and running the Texture Cache Utility (you need to run it on a system that has Python installed).

For me it was some of my movies that were missing, so (on my windows machine) I ran:

python texturecache.py c movies

And this cached all the movie images, and the problem was gone.
I looked and have no clue how to operate that. I just kept smashing buttons until it worked. All good now. Weird.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'Random Movies' background (home screen) shows random black screens0