OpenELEC very slow connection
I am getting a few weird issues regarding my internet connection on OpenELEC.
First of all, all repositories show up as empty except one - I've tried force refreshes and deleting my userdata folder to no avail. This includes repositories that I installed via zip file. The only thing I can use to test my speed currently is updating OpenELEC. When I try to do that, it downloads the updates at 1 to 5 Kb/s. I also managed to install PleXBMC (which was in the repo that does not show up as empty) and when I try to watch a movie via PleXBMC it buffers at a rate of like 1% each 5 minutes.

I am on a wireless connection and when I check my network status on the System Info section, the 'Internet' part will often say 'Busy'. Not sure if that's related or not.
Sounds like a wireless performance problem. What wireless adaptor are you using and how far is it from the base station ? I would start my troubleshooting by testing over a direct Ethernet connection. If a repository refresh times out or fails due to connectivity issues you will just see an empty repository, and 5kb/s is extremely poor speed, slow enough that the repository refresh will probably time out.
Kodi 18.3 - Mid 2007 Mac Mini, 4GB, 2TB HD, Windows 7 SP1
Kodi 18.3 - Vero4k, Raspberry Pi 2. OSMC.
The adaptor is an EDUP EP-N8508, brand new. It's centimeters away from my modem. I will try an ethernet cable as soon as I can, thanks.
Okay, I started transferring some data to my SD Card via Samba and it's taking forever to copy some files...it's going at 71kb/s and slowly dropping. Could the write speed of the SD Card be the reason for this instead of the internet speed? Sorry if this sounds dumb, I'm a complete newbie...
If there is wireless interference you could have very slow speeds regardless of how close it is. Is it normally that close to the modem ? If so I would recommend using Ethernet all the time. If not I'd still suggest trying it to narrow down the cause of the problem..

71kb/s copying to the SD card via samba is exceptionally slow. I have my Pi connected to my wireless router by Ethernet, copying from a wireless connected laptop to the SD card on the Pi through samba I get about 3.3MB/s (26.4Mbit/sec) which is roughly 50x faster than what you're seeing.
So I've tried a couple other wi-fi adapters as well as Ethernet. Same result. With ethernet I could get about 600Kb/s though. Still not even close to my actual internet speed.
This also happens with other RPi XBMC based OS's, not only with OpenELEC.

I have yet to try another SD Card.
Your transformer has at least 1A?
I don't know if this can be lack of power to the rpi.
Try testing the speed of your SD card to make sure its not a bottleneck. The following page shows how:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewto...26&t=31925

Be careful you don't make any typos with the dd command as you have the potential to erase the SD card.

Performance of my Samsung 16GB class 10 card running Raspbmc (Super Over-clock enabled) is as follows:

6.3MB/s write performance
19.6MB/s read performance

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC very slow connection0