Solved XBMC 12.3 All video playback freezes but audio plays fine [SOLVED]
watch gallery

Ive had xbmc working just great for the last 6 months, but recently no matter what i try to place, DVD, avi, mpeg, mkv XBMC will freeze and become unresponsive to anything but the audio will be playing. Every 10 seconds or so i may get an updated frame on the video.

The only way to get out of xbmc is with sudo killall -9 xbmc.bin

The only thing i can think of is i done an update recently but i dont remember seeing anything that could have effected xbmc... Im sure it was all audio related plugin stuff.

I'm running kxstudio 12.04
XBMC Frodo built december 2013
AMD Athlon 64 2ghz 64bit CPU
Nvidia nforce 401 (6100 integrateted GPU)
4gb Ram
3.11.0-11-lowlatency

I've no idea whats going on. It was working perfectly before. The only thing previously that would produce this behavour was if i changed a video setting during playback from bilinear to another filter and that would cause video to become seriously laged, xbmc unresponsive but audio playing fine.

updated to mark as solved
Welcome to forums.

You probably upgraded your video drivers but mm.. For sure anything newer than 2xx series drivers cant have any fixes for your GPU and probably make it actually worst. Who knows really.

Can you pastebin a Debug log (wiki) and also a screenshot of your xbmc audio settings.

Your gpu is on the low end of what XBMC supports though that's an observation.
yeah i know my gpu is pretty poor but it had been working perfectly even with 1080p videos. Its pretty much handled everything great until now.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=113295
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=113293
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=113292
watch gallery
In playback settings Disable av sync method or select drop/dupe

Disable syncback to display as well.

You could also pastebin a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rename it if you have any and retry.

I dont get why you also pastebinnig logs for android machine when the issue is on the nvidia machine... or is this in all?
(2014-01-20, 16:42)uNiversal Wrote: In playback settings Disable av sync method or select drop/dupe

Disable syncback to display as well.

You could also pastebin a copy of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and rename it if you have any and retry.

I dont get why you also pastebinnig logs for android machine when the issue is on the nvidia machine... or is this in all?

thats what the log uploader in xbmc uploaded, i did wonder why 1 of the logs mentioned android..

Im not using xbmc on an android machinem just my kxstudio machine. so not sure why thers android

Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

My xorg.conf is pretty empty, though i dont expect much if any config in xorg since the way x is configured is now different these days.

anyway disabling av sync done nothing, i couldnt find the other setting.

is there a way to look at the video settings that you can change while playing video without actually playing a video?

there are options like post processing, and filteres etc i know that 1 of them causes this issue but there only accessible during playback, unless there hidden somewhere else/
Both settings I mentioned are in same screenshot page you showed in playback settings.

All the other option you wnat to access are only available when you start to play a movie, bring up osd and goto videos and uncheck stuff and then at the bottom select and save for all videos . ok done.
(2014-01-20, 18:11)uNiversal Wrote: Both settings I mentioned are in same screenshot page you showed in playback settings.

All the other option you wnat to access are only available when you start to play a movie, bring up osd and goto videos and uncheck stuff and then at the bottom select and save for all videos . ok done.

right well im stuck then, playing a video pretty much brings xbmc to a halt and unresponsive. so cant bring up the OSD, but since i havnt changed anything then it should still be working...

kxstudio forums havnt been that helpfull in tracking the problem down since its not a kx studio app..
You can start playback and immediately hit pause.

I cant blame kstudio on their stance, its not their problem so why should they support it? On the other hand I dont work for the team either, Im just a user, like you.
Right...

I got it working again,

Seems like using the Advanced Render sharers doesnt work anymore. Basic and software works, but not advanced.

playing any video back renders xbmc unresponsive, so no stopping playing, mouse freezes, keyboard doesnt respond all i can do is switch to a tty and kill xbmc.

anyway ive got it working with basic shaders. Will need to put a DVD on and see what the picture quality is like, but from playing a couple of files it looks like the picture quality is worse than what it was
Well, I cant help you with any of this worst picture than before comments, simply because who knows if your gpu actually supports half this stuff, even if it seemed to be working before.

On another hand you could try a build from fernetmenta master ppa It should help playback issues a great deal.

1) Back up your userdata (wiki) before. you can revert if you really have too and always good to backup.

2) remove the current ppa hosting your xbmc buld and add new one and update xbmc.

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties pkg-config
sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:current_XBMC_providing_ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get remove xbmc xbmc.bin
sudo apt-get install xbmc xbmc.bin
My gpu is an nvidia 6100 nforce 405, according to nvidias site it has there features (removed the descriptions so it didnt hog space on my post)

Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Shader Model 3.0 Support
Video Scaling and Filtering
Video Color Correction*
NVIDIA® CineFX™ 3.0 Engine
NVIDIA® Intellisample™ 3.0 Technology**
Full-Speed 32-Bit Color Precision
NVIDIA® Digital Vibrance Control™ 3.0 Technology
OpenGL® 1.5 Optimizations and Support
300 MHz RAMDAC
HyperTransport™ Technology

Anyway, i installed xbmc like you said, and so far it seems to work fine, though i do notice that i cant seem to find the setting that lets me choose wether i want software or hardware rendering,

but,,,

xbmc crashed when i added a source directory for videos,

ffs and now it crashes everytime i try and load it

Edit:

left it a while and xbmc started again, adding directories no longer crash, so guess it was just a random glitch,

Playback is working fine on everything ive watched so far, not convinved though on the video quality,
On post #3 man, XBMC playback settings... There you can define hardware or software rendering along with all other settings related to playback ecet those only available via OSD, Like for e.g de-interlacing, post processing etc ... You submit the screenshots and dont actually read what settings say. Its now second time you make similar observations. Wink Not that Im counting Smile

To repeat myself, and I hate doing that, I recon you went too far with your video drivers, but again I reserve that until a later time especially when I see logs and if any crashlogs (they are in xbmc directory Not where normal logs are.

For your reference, everytime you post about a problem such as crashes and whatnot, make sure that Debug is turned on when this happens and pastebin a corresponding Debug log (wiki) or pastebin any crashlogs as well.
sorry, i was using a theme previously and things were laid out a little differently.

i've uncovered a few extra options using expert level and now video quality has returned to what it was before. Still cant use Advanced shaders but its working again.

Will mark this thread as solved.
If you are sayin that build you have now, advanced shaders option are disabled and you cant select them, its likely because your hardware doesn't support it.

If you actually read the features description on the page you looked up http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpumobo_6100-...tures.html, it painfully obvious hardware support for rendering is not there so at best you could use software rendering but that means your CPU will take the hit since your GPU doesn't support any hardware acceleration either.

But ya, it works and its as good as it will get for that GPU.
Thanks for the info.

Advanced shaders is there in xbmc it just freezes xbmc up when video plays, basic shaders seem to work so and 1080p vedeos playback smoothly. That probably expa8ns why my other mach8ne that i had setup as a media centre machine uses much less cpu than the machine im using now. It has a graphics card in it...

anyway back working. not that theres much point in 1080p videos for me since my monitor and projector only have a native res of 1024*768.

But its really usefull having xbmc. Vertical shift is something i have been looking for, for a while since it allows me to get the largest screen size without tilting the projector and then having to use nasty keystone.

Anyway its all back working again, thanks for the help.

(2014-01-21, 17:04)uNiversal Wrote: If you are sayin that build you have now, advanced shaders option are disabled and you cant select them, its likely because your hardware doesn't support it.

If you actually read the features description on the page you looked up http://www.nvidia.com/page/gpumobo_6100-...tures.html, it painfully obvious hardware support for rendering is not there so at best you could use software rendering but that means your CPU will take the hit since your GPU doesn't support any hardware acceleration either.

But ya, it works and its as good as it will get for that GPU.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC 12.3 All video playback freezes but audio plays fine [SOLVED]1