• 8(current)
Intel® Bay Trail 'OPEN STB'
(2014-01-29, 11:04)mafgr Wrote: Can somebody tell if the NUC with the celeron n2820 can play 3d (frame packing )adequatelyHuh

Can you not double post or ask an unrelated question to a thread? This isn't a NUC thread.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Hi All

We have made the decisions to add CEC and SATA to the board although currently the chassis can't support a HDD. We are working very hard to keep the price at $150. The CEC and IR in/out will need software integration. I would like to ask members of the community with the relevant experience to PM me regarding the scope of works.
SATA sounds good for those that might want to add an extra hd for local storage. Does the Mini PCIe support bootable mSATA devices? Maybe consider two chassis for the future, one with room for hd and the other without. I know I would prefer a smaller chassis that doesn't have room for internal storage.

With regards to CEC and IR, the answer is it depends....

If you are using a common cec and ir chipset the software side is simple, as they should be commonly supported under most OS's. If they aren't then it will need some work, but given you have only just added it to the bom, i would make sure its something thats supported out of the box on most common OS's.

You should also consider adding IR power on support (requires hardware support).

For this kind of device, most users are probably going to look to use something like OpenELEC as they are going to want it to work as an appliance type device. Sure, it can be done using windows / linux distro of your choice - but the key is to keep it simple.
(2014-01-29, 14:45)prae5 Wrote: ........

You should also consider adding IR power on support (requires hardware support).

For this kind of device, most users are probably going to look to use something like OpenELEC as they are going to want it to work as an appliance type device. Sure, it can be done using windows / linux distro of your choice - but the key is to keep it simple.

Ir power on and openelec are must..
Hamk does this box come blank ? or does it come with XBMC pre-installed out of the box, with STB I assumed it ran XBMC out of the box or at least has some basic launcher (like AppleTV) allowing you to download it if doing your own custom OS.

If it runs openelec or geexbox out of the box than I would guess that takes care of all of that.

P.S. come up with a better name than intel baytrail stb something that rolls of the tongue easily : )
(2014-01-30, 14:25)Starstream Wrote: P.S. come up with a better name than intel baytrail stb something that rolls of the tongue easily : )

Yeah, something that doesn't have "box" in the name! Wink
(2014-01-30, 21:38)Tobor Wrote: Yeah, something that doesn't have "box" in the name! Wink

The Not-Box?
(2014-01-29, 14:45)prae5 Wrote: SATA sounds good for those that might want to add an extra hd for local storage. Does the Mini PCIe support bootable mSATA devices? Maybe consider two chassis for the future, one with room for hd and the other without. I know I would prefer a smaller chassis that doesn't have room for internal storage.

With regards to CEC and IR, the answer is it depends....

If you are using a common cec and ir chipset the software side is simple, as they should be commonly supported under most OS's. If they aren't then it will need some work, but given you have only just added it to the bom, i would make sure its something thats supported out of the box on most common OS's.

Hi
We have added IR and CEC power on updates to the board.
Sounding like it could be a real good product.

Does the mPCIE slot support bootable mSATA devices?
To the question about CEC and new TV's, yes new 60" Samsung "Dumb TVs" don't have them, saved about $300. But they do have a serial port which can be feed commands which can be used instead of CEC control.
Any update on thisHuh

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Yeah any news ?, hope you haven't abandoned it, this is a nice project.
I was about to ask the same question. I'm holding out on making a purchase until I see where this project is going.
(2014-02-27, 18:35)LazerBlue Wrote: I was about to ask the same question. I'm holding out on making a purchase until I see where this project is going.

I wouldn't.

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2014-02-27, 20:09)jammyb Wrote:
(2014-02-27, 18:35)LazerBlue Wrote: I was about to ask the same question. I'm holding out on making a purchase until I see where this project is going.

I wouldn't.

I'm in no rush. Still trying to get the misses to learn how to use it. She refuses to learn and instead just watches tv in the bedroom even though I've got it working almost the same way (one extra button push). I've got to get her to accept the technology before I try to replace the bedroom set top box.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel® Bay Trail 'OPEN STB'1