TESTERS WANTED: Gotham UPnP library sharing testing
Bug 
Feel free to use this thread for both reporting and asking questions about the test.

What is this
Testing for the various UPnP (wiki) features coming in XBMC v13 "Gotham".

What is needed to test
  • You need two XBMC devices running the most recent beta or nightly build (wiki). The more recent the nightly build, the better, on both XBMC devices.
  • Both devices need to be running on the same network.

Tests:
UPnP "play using":
  1. On an XBMC device that we want to "play to", which we will call the "HOST":
    1. Enable UPnP control: ( XBMC -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Allow control of XBMC via UPnP )
    2. Enable debug logging: Log file/Easy (wiki) ( XBMC -> Settings -> System -> [select "settings level" on the left-side so that it says "advanced"] -> Debug logging -> Enable debug logging )
    3. Restart XBMC (exit and reopen the XBMC application)
  2. On a second XBMC device that will play the file, which we will cal the "CLIENT":
    1. Enable debug logging: Log file/Easy (wiki) ( XBMC -> Settings -> System -> [select "settings level" on the left-side so that it says "advanced"] -> Debug logging -> Enable debug logging )
    2. Enable UPnP lookup: ( XBMC -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Look for remote UPnP players )
    4. Navigate to a video file, either a plain file from Videos -> Files, or a file in your library.
    5. Select the file and bring up the context menu and select "Play using".
    6. This should show a list starting with "DVDPlayer" (which is the name for the local player XBMC uses), and any UPnP targets that XBMC finds. This should include the HOST.
    7. Play the file from the CLIENT and see if it plays on the HOST.
  3. Feel free to test various things out, like the player controls on both the client and host side, switching the video back to local or back to UPnP.
  4. If you have a keyboard connected you can switch the player in mid-playback by pressing "Y". If you have a remote you can map a keymap (wiki) to this function using the "SwitchPlayer" action ID.
  5. If playback or controls fail then please see the next section:"Reporting the test results". If everything seems to work correctly, you don't have to report anything, but feel free to let us know that it worked for you.

Accessing TV shows and episodes:
• You need at least one device needs to have a library with at least one TV show with episodes inside.
  1. On an XBMC device with a library, which we will call the "HOST":
    1. Enable UPnP library sharing: UPnP/Share (wiki) ( XBMC -> Settings -> Services -> UPnP -> Share video and music libraries through UPnP )
    2. Enable debug logging: Log file/Easy (wiki) ( XBMC -> Settings -> System -> [select "settings level" on the left-side so that it says "advanced"] -> Debug logging -> Enable debug logging )
  2. On a second XBMC device, which we will cal the "CLIENT":
    1. Enable debug logging: Log file/Easy (wiki) ( XBMC -> Settings -> System -> [select "settings level" on the left-side so that it says "advanced"] -> Debug logging -> Enable debug logging )
    2. Restart XBMC (exit and reopen the XBMC application)
    3. From the home menu go to Videos -> Files, and now we will add a UPnP source: Add source -> Browse -> UPnP -> [Find your host XBMC instance] -> Okay -> name it (anything is fine) -> Okay again -> and you should have the new UPnP source listed with your Files in XBMC
    4. Open the UPnP source you just added and navigate to: Video Library -> TV shows -> Title -> [ Note if this takes a long time ]
    5. Select any TV show -> [ Note down if the folder opens or if nothing happens or if you get a "playback failed" message ]. You might try selecting the specific TV show a couple of times to make sure the folder is not opening.
    6. If nothing happened or you got a "playback failed" message when you tried to open a specific TV show folder, please see the next section: "Reporting the test results"
    7. If the specific TV show folder opened and you see season folders, please try opening those folders and then playing an episode.
    8. If the episode fails to play then please see the next section: "Reporting the test results". If the episode plays correctly, you don't have to report anything, but feel free to let us know that it worked for you.

At this point, anything else UPnP related that you can think of.

Reporting the test results
In this forum thread, please report back the following information:
  1. HOST OS:
  2. CLIENT OS:
  3. If you have issues or things don't seem to be working correctly, please upload both HOST and CLIENT debug logs to a paste site such as http://xbmclogs.com (see Log file (wiki) for details on how to do this) and include the URLs for both:
    1. HOST debug log URL:
    2. CLIENT debug log URL:
  4. Any other details you with to share about your setup:
Will be trying this tonight when i get in from work.
Hi Ned,
I'm happy to assist with this testing, (I hope I did it right). I already had UPNP set up on my Galaxy S4 and it worked fine from the start. Here's the info, please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Host= HTPC Win7 Ultimate64 Dubug log

Client= Samsung Galaxy S4 Android 4.3 Debug log

Host library is local, usb ext hd on a shared network

Opening library thru client using Files->>>> Title Node was very responsive, opened within seconds.
Played a couple of SD and HD Tv shows both were very responsive and opened within seconds, also displayed all episodes and artwork.

Everything worked as expected, no delays or crashes. Smile great job guys

Question: Is there a way for the host to show up as Movie etc.. Library in the home screen?
Host - Windows 8 - Log
Client - Windows 7 - Log
both x86

From the perspective of the HOST, were the library video files local files or were they on a network share?
SMB Network Share - Buffalo LiveStation 100mb Network Wired Connection

Did opening the "Title" node on the client take a long time?
Almost instant

Were you able to open a specific TV show folder from the "Title" node?
Yes

I also was hoping to see an option to add to library as such, so a upnp share could be viewed from Tv Shows & movies
I tried out the play to other instance of xbmc, very nice so far. Quite amusing results.
From the client machine i told the host machine to play a video i had selected from its upnp shared library, worked perfectly but when trying to stop the playing video with the remote connected to the host computer it stopped but restarted the video. only way to stop was to send the stop command from the client computer which had initiated the play command.
not sure if thats how its supposed to be, but in my setup at least that would be a pain. surely after the play command has been sent that should be it. both xbmc's should then have local control?

hope all of this helps and makes sense and i have uploaded the correct logs, as usual thanks for all your hard work.
Think my win8 logs are wrong, not debug level.
(2014-01-24, 00:44)DoubleT Wrote: Think my win8 logs are wrong, not debug level.

No worries, no need to include the debug logs if everything went correctly.
Well, I guess I'll post my own results as well :P

1) Host OS: Mac OS X 10.8.5
2) Client OS: Android 4.something (OUYA)
3) Files were local to the UPnP host, mounted on an external USB hard drive
4) Opening the Title node took at least 2 minutes, which is abnormally long. The "Recently added episodes" node/section took only a few seconds to open by comparison.
5) Was not able to open any TV show, was only able to see the list of shows.
6.1) Host log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=121695
6.2) Client log - http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=121696
7) The same host on the same network does not have this issue with some other clients. One successful test included iOS on an iPad 4. Files also play just fine on the local XBMC "host".

I'm not sure why it works on some but not others. All are using the Jan 30th 2014 nightly build.
Do you have another upnp client to test its not some other part of your network?
Don't mean to ask the obvious question but this nightly works perfectly for me on 6 different rigs.
Mine are all windows based though...
(2014-02-01, 01:24)DoubleT Wrote: Do you have another upnp client to test its not some other part of your network?
Don't mean to ask the obvious question but this nightly works perfectly for me on 6 different rigs.
Mine are all windows based though...

Yeah, for most of my devices it works great and only on a few that there is an issue. One of our devs gave me some feedback on this and tells me that while he hasn't personally seen this in XBMC, he has seen it in another UPnP client application, and he thinks it might have something to do with XBMC's semi-non-standard way of handling seasons and episodes for TV shows. It doesn't seem to be a widespread issue, so at least that's good.
Been having problem with my MySQL setup after updating to Gotham nightlies from Frodo. So decided to toss MySQL and try this out.

1. Windows 8, Gotham nightly
2. Windows 8, Gotham nightly
3. Local video files
4. Opening the TV title node didn't take too much longer than before (187 items). Opening the Movie title node takes quite a bit longer, anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds (2,800+ items).
5. Had no problem opening and playing TV shows from the client.
6. Will have to update later with debug logs, heading out in a minute.
7. I added the Music section from the upnp host as a favorite and added it to my main menu. All of the artwork comes through, but I don't see the artist bio or album reviews. Is this to be expected with upnp sharing?
Waned, ded or alieve., (queue guitar rif) Big Grin
(2014-02-01, 20:41)bryanbrazil Wrote: Been having problem with my MySQL setup after updating to Gotham nightlies from Frodo. So decided to toss MySQL and try this out.

1. Windows 8, Gotham nightly
2. Windows 8, Gotham nightly
3. Local video files
4. Opening the TV title node didn't take too much longer than before (187 items). Opening the Movie title node takes quite a bit longer, anywhere from 3 to 15 seconds (2,800+ items).
5. Had no problem opening and playing TV shows from the client.
6. Will have to update later with debug logs, heading out in a minute.
7. I added the Music section from the upnp host as a favorite and added it to my main menu. All of the artwork comes through, but I don't see the artist bio or album reviews. Is this to be expected with upnp sharing?

No logs needed if it worked okay.
Ok, thanks Ned. Any tips on the missing artist bio and album reviews for music?
(2014-02-02, 01:43)bryanbrazil Wrote: Ok, thanks Ned. Any tips on the missing artist bio and album reviews for music?

No idea, sorry.
So I discovered something very weird. I have a library of about 315 shows, but two of those shows (yes, I went through each one) could list episodes while others only gave errors. The only difference were that the two shows did not have fanart on the server XBMC instance. I went to another show, one that was not listing episodes, and removed the fanart on the server instance, and it suddenly worked, showing the list of episodes on the client instance.

However, I still have XBMC clients that have no issue with any show, fanart or not. It seems all my iOS clients work all the time, but all the Android clients I have tried only list episodes for shows without fanart.

Can anyone with an Android XBMC client give this a test?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTERS WANTED: Gotham UPnP library sharing testing3