TESTERS WANTED: Gotham UPnP library sharing testing
Surely if the ability to expose the Add-ons via UPnP, all the way down to seeing the titles to the videos... then shouldn't we also be able to play those videos via a UPnP client that's browsed to that directory?

It doesn't look like that works, or at least most of the sources I've tried simply fail at the playback stage - the Apple Trailers and CBS News add-ons are a couple examples that fail in slightly different ways - I see one report an error while the other simply allows clicking on the video with nothing actually playing. This is while using XBMC as a UPnP server and another instance of XBMC as a UPnP client (both 13 beta 3 or 14.0 alpha 1)... though I'm hoping to use another UPnP client in the future - if it doesn't work between XBMC instances, it's probably not going to work for anything.

So is there any hope of this being addressed/fixed?

Thanks,
-ech
(2014-04-01, 02:13)edrft_99 Wrote: [..] then added the SMB location to my pi's directory and tried to play a video from the UPnP source with no problem. As far as I can tell it is using the UPnP to play the video file and not the SMB source. I will be conducting further testing to verify if the episodes show up as watched between the assets and so on.

I too tested this now, adding the SMB location as a source in the client XBMC session, and playback through UPnP "from" XBMC UPnP server was a success.
Server log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=163873
Client log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=163876

UPDATE:
After several more tests - also including XBMC UPnP Host library entries stored on SMB locations that did NOT require credentials - it turns out this ONLY happens with SMB mounts that require user/pass credentials.

This strengthens my suspicions; XBMC does not provide the XBMC UPnP servers credentials for the SMB location of the selected library item. This makes actual file access rely on the XBMC UPnP client to already have the credentials (which must be input through adding the SMB location as a source with the client). No UPnP client SMB source added, no credentials.

Initial look at the Debug logs from failed tests, seem to confirm this - see http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=157623 - line 862-865. This SMB mount requires user/pass credentials. XBMC UPnP server only sends the client an SMB location link for the video (/audio) file - no credentials.

I'm not sure what would be an appropriate solution to this. How do XBMC handle, store and send SMB credentials? If passing these credentials from server to client, this should really be encrypted. If cleartext, anyone with access to either ends log file can get the credentials. Another option would be for the XBMC UPnP server to "proxy" this instead of just serving up direct location links.

As is - I consider this broken. Suggeting that users should avoid minimal network security, is just really not a viable option. For each UPnP client to add each SMB source that requires credentials, is not exactly a (U)PnP solution.

(2014-04-01, 12:20)ech68 Wrote: Surely if the ability to expose the Add-ons via UPnP, all the way down to seeing the titles to the videos... then shouldn't we also be able to play those videos via a UPnP client that's browsed to that directory?
[...]
On a side note to what I've sritten above: If this is *the way of it* - any add-on contents would probably only work if the XBMC UPnP client also has the add-on installed and properly/identically configured. If you could install the add-on in question on the client and try out access through UPnP - that would be great. Debug logs are most welcome - and frankly, expected in a thread like this (Read Post#1). Saying "[function] is broken, when will it be fixed?" without providing debug logs - is really not helping. At all.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-01, 19:57)pr0xZen Wrote:
(2014-04-01, 12:20)ech68 Wrote: Surely if the ability to expose the Add-ons via UPnP, all the way down to seeing the titles to the videos... then shouldn't we also be able to play those videos via a UPnP client that's browsed to that directory?
[...]
On a side note to what I've sritten above: If this is *the way of it* - any add-on contents would probably only work if the XBMC UPnP client also has the add-on installed and properly/identically configured. If you could install the add-on in question on the client and try out access through UPnP - that would be great. Debug logs are most welcome - and frankly, expected in a thread like this (Read Post#1). Saying "[function] is broken, when will it be fixed?" without providing debug logs - is really not helping. At all.
Sorry for not adding the logs - I figured that since it's simple to repro and I wasn't sure that this was in fact a bug, or simply the expected behavior, it didn't make sense to add logs.

Here the full client log:
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=164078

and server (the full one kept giving "502 bad gateway" errors, so just up through the Apple Trailers failure):
http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=164087

And this was done with the same plugin installed on the client and the server - though I'd hope that wouldn't necessarily be needed. Why not proxy the request?
Another couple datapoints to support the idea that this _should_ work without any plugins on the UPnP client... Plex Media Server, serving the same content (Apple Trailers via a Plex Channel) via UPnP works fine serving to both a WDLXTV device and XBMC via UPnP.

Here is the successful XBMC client log of the interaction:

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=164431
Been a week since there was any feedback from devs or other staff...
Are they still watching this?

Ticket posted : http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15081
Please add in if you've got logs same or closely similar issue.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
I can't even access my upnp sharing since beta 3

Host : Beta 3 on android Minix X7
Client : Beta 3 Osx 10.9.1

should i try with nightly ?
(2014-04-02, 22:15)DrMacabre Wrote: I can't even access my upnp sharing since beta 3

Host : Beta 3 on android Minix X7
Client : Beta 3 Osx 10.9.1

should i try with nightly ?

You can, but either way please include debug logs (wiki) and details. For example, are you able to even see the UPnP server listed on the client?
sometime i can see the server listed but i can't get in, sometime i don't even see it.

It seem related to the host because when i do the same with my laptop as host and my Nexus 7 as client, it works fine.

It was working fine until beta 3

Host log : http://www.guillaume-leroux.com/Temp/host.log
Client log : http://www.guillaume-leroux.com/Temp/client.log
Host OS: OS X 10.9.2
Client OS: OS X 10.9.2

Client debug log: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=166472

When selecting 'hide watched' on the client machine, any shows shared via UPNP that are not 100% unwatched will be hidden. IE: If a show has 1 or 2 new episodes as yet unwatched, but the rest are watched, the show will still be hidden. When deselecting the 'hide watched' option though, the unwatched episodes do not have the watched 'tick' next to them.

In short, The client XBMC appears to know that the episodes are unwatched (hence no tick), but the filter used when selecting 'hide watched' acts differently on local files than it does to UPNP shares.
Hi,

I don't use UPnP, but was testing it out against the PS3, and found this issue which I thought to report:

I have created trac ticket 15102 just for documentation...

I am away from my house, so will add logs when I get home...

Build: XBMCSetup-20140405-ca6c289-Gotham.exe
PS3 Firmware: Latest -> 4.55

On the PS3, the traversal of the path seems to work fine (artwork displays etc). However, drilling into any "directory container" (e.g. "Recently Added Movies") and backing out to the higher level in the tree results in the PS3 showing that given directory container (what was previously shown as "Recently Added Movies" in this example) as a " - ".

XBMC's UPnP implementation is the first time I've seen this behavior (previously used TwonkyServer, MediaTomb, PS3Media Server).
Just tested v13 running on OSX 10.9.2 as a UPnP controller, sending commands to my Pioneer SC-57 to stream FLAC files that reside on my Synology DiskStation. This worked correctly, however it only plays a single song and then stops. Is this a bug, a feature, something unavoidable in this "three legged" scenario, or other? Apologies if this has been discussed in a different thread. My search-fu was weak and turned up nothing obvious that addressed this.
(2014-05-03, 22:30)dscottj Wrote: Just tested v13 running on OSX 10.9.2 as a UPnP controller, sending commands to my Pioneer SC-57 to stream FLAC files that reside on my Synology DiskStation. This worked correctly, however it only plays a single song and then stops. Is this a bug, a feature, something unavoidable in this "three legged" scenario, or other? Apologies if this has been discussed in a different thread. My search-fu was weak and turned up nothing obvious that addressed this.

Off hand, I'm not sure and I don't have access to two systems to test with at the moment. I know that XBMC video playback to XBMC will continue playlist playback, but I don't know about music and/or non-XBMC targets. In the back of my head I want to say that's someone said music playlist stuff wasn't working with UPnP, but I could be confusing it with a different discussion about gapless playback or something.

I'll try to test this tonight or tomorrow.
That's cool. If it's not a known issue let me know, I'll file a bug report.
Hi, I am unsure if this is the right thread but I have a UPnP issue with Gotham over Openelec 4.0.0 on Raspberry Pi. I am using this as a host to stream to a wifi radio. When I select 'songs', 'singles', 'albums' or 'year' on the radio I can play fine. When I select 'artist' or 'genre' I get a message there is a network error straight away. I can see the artist, I can see albums by the artist, when I try to select one of the albums or all tracks by that artist this is when I get the error. I emailed the radio manufacturer who said because the error happens straight away this means there's a problem with how 'artist' or 'genre' are being listed.

I can select artists and play fine on XBMC with no problem. Can anyone help please?
I have XMBC server running on a Windows 7 PC, a couple of clients running on Mac OSX x86.

All seems to work well, with the exception that TV shows do not show the "watched tick" after a program has been watched or "mark as watched".
Yet it shows on the server almost instantly a change is made. If I mark a film as watched, it shows the tick instantly.

The watched ticks seem to be updated if you restart XBMC, is there an update delay, does it not update real time or do I need to do something else ?

Also the SD and HD icons dont show on the clients, not sure if this is by design or not.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TESTERS WANTED: Gotham UPnP library sharing testing3