Linux XbmcBuntu (Lubuntu 12.10) - xbmc.bin high cpu usage
All,

i installed the latest Xbmcbuntu, i updated my xbmc towards the xbmc-xvba-frodo (12.2) and i installed the latest amd catalyst drivrs 13.11 Beta V9.95 .
I'm still using an AsRock e350M1 motherboard, with an integrated AMD Radeon HD 6310. This was said to run everything very smooth.

Well ... i did all those optimizations within the advancedsettings.xml like the dirtyregions, and nofliptimeout, etc...

But for some reason, when i check my cpu usage in a terminal via 'top' command, i get xbmc.bin running on 102% and it goes up to 199% Huh?

When i play movies, all is just fine (exept the h264 encoded files, those stutter ...), but i hate the cpu usage being so high (even in idle)

Any ideas??

--> see example of the 102% (and it will only go up)

Thanks for any help.... (i should mention that i removed my thumbnail folder, but xbmc already restarted and recreated that; Is there something with that? ... if not don't go in that direction as it might not be the reason)

Regards,

RvN
Tried disabling the RSS feed on the homescreen?
Yes, i also disabled the rrs feed, i didn't mention that yet.

It really weird ... could it be that it has something todo with the xbmc-xvba-frodo using fglrx + amd catalyst driver?
But my movies play well so ... that looks weird aswell.

I also saw something in the log (i don't see it in the log i posted) that xbmc started a background load thread... so is xbmc doing stuff in the background? And if, can i see what it does and optimize that?

I'm running the aeon nox skin. Maybe that is usefull info.

thx
I disabled the recently added movies feature, and i browsed through my complete movies list, to load all necessary art. Now the CPU on idle using TOP is acceptable!

The only weird thing is that when accessing the system information screen in xbmc, 1 CPU is still running 100% always, the other is 6%-10%
Upgrading fglrx bad move? (I think so, based on expert comments about this matter Wink). Dirty regions are part of xbmc by default at level 3. all other dirty regions levels are broken iirc.

Please use pastebins for logs in future Wink

FYI AEON is a really heavy skin probably the most resource intensive skin, however this high cpu usage is really only during regular skin usage right?
I'm using the default confluence skin now, and i have the same behaviour.
When i enter the system information screen in xbmc, 1 CPU gets to 100%, while the other is staying low.

All seems to be working just fine, but 100% CPU on one core sounds like overhead... i'm just trying to understand

When you state: Upgrading fglrx bad move? I think so... --> what do you suggest then? upgrading towards radeon OSS + vdpau? (using http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854) , or downgrade to an older fglrx?
Might this solve the issue? Or is it just 'a thing' to try?

Do i need to change the dirty region level to 3 in my advancedsettings? Or will xbmc ignore that setting and overrule it anyway to 3?

Thx in advance!
default is level 3
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I said it previously and Martinjn echoed, XBMC by default already sets this Dirty regions at level 3, all other Dirty regions are broken iirc, Smile So doing it via advancedsettings can only benefit if you want a <nofliptimeout> other that what it is, which maybe wont help anyway. Remove the DR settings for as.xml.

The AMD binary drivers are horrendous in Linux, each upgrade breaks more things and more compatibility with GPU's, so keep original driver if possible. Also depends what your GPU is if you can go OSS or not.IF your GPU is HD5xxx or newer you are in luck > Go OSS, if not open a Window, wait until the AMD CEO is driving past and thrown it at the general direction of the BIN Big Grin

Seriously now Smile if you have a AMD card that is not supported by OSS, donwgrade to previous version, idk which one was best anymore, fritsch knows this crap backwards. Smile
Ok, thank you for this information!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XbmcBuntu (Lubuntu 12.10) - xbmc.bin high cpu usage0