Help getting my Harmony 700 working properly with XBMC...
I have read through the various guides but they don't seem to quite address my problems, and they are a little outdated considering the user interface has changed on myharmony.com. So here are my issues:

Hardware:

Harmony 700
IR6 receiver
HP Microserver N40L running Windows 7

Background:

For some reason my Harmony does not like the MCE keyboard or Microsoft Media Centre programmes from myharmony.com. Nothing works when I opt for these, so I have chosen to simply teach my remote all of the commands from the basic remote I bought.

Problems:

The basic remote doesn't have an info button, nor a tab button, so I can't activate info or go back to a playing video once I exit it. I have searched high and low to figure this one out but I can't. My volume buttons on the remote are also not functioning at all. They don't change XBMC nor Windows' volume.

My basic remote that I am using to teach my Harmony has one or two buttons that don't appear to do anything in XBMC. The problem is if I'd like to be able to customise these by teaching the Harmony and mapping other functions to it, I'd need to know what the functions are in the first place. I don't know how to work this out. I also don't know how to custom map anything at all.

What I'd like it to do:

I'd like to have an activity that switches on my TV and AV receiver (media centre is always switched on), but allows me to control XBMC with the custom learned functions, and let my amp control the volume. This seems pretty much impossible. I've tried all sorts of combinations of activities but I cannot figure it out. If this isn't possible, then I'd at least like to be able to control either XBMC or Windows' volume with the Harmony.

My HDMI CEC switches off my amp when the TV switches off which is fine, but it doesn't switch it on for some reason when the TV switches on. So I'd like to be able to add my amp and tv as devices in the activities when switching on, but only the TV when powering off. Seems myharmony doesn't allow this. Once a device is added in the activities, it doesn't allow you to remove it from either the switch on or switch off processes. It allows you to add new functions during this process, but the power functions are set in stone apparently. The problem here is that the amp is switching off from the TV CEC and then back on again from the signal from the remote. I don't want to switch off CEC as it is useful for other functions I use the amp and TV for. Any advice here would be great.

I'd also like to be able to map other functions to various unused keys. I just don't know how this works. I've read about Eventghost but the guides for it on the forum seem to be incredibly dated as well and reference plugins and so on that I think are no longer around.

If someone could guide me in the right direction here I would appreciate it...
Try the mce codes with xbmccustomregis
(2014-01-24, 00:17)teeedubb Wrote: Try the mce codes with xbmccustomregis

Thanks. I'd not heard of them before.

Looking at their site and following page 1, it seems that my first major problem is that my receiver is not RC6 compliant, even though both were sold to me on that basis. I only bought the remotes for the bloody receivers to begin with. Damn.

When I plug the receivers in, I don't get the "eHome" driver in interface devices. All I get are three entries for "HID compliant Consumer Control Device" "HID compliant device" and "USB input device".

So I guess this is the first problem for me. But it does work for me. I can teach the remote functions and XBMC responds to all of them except for those the original remote lacks, and obviously my other issues I pointed out.

I'm now a little lost. Is it the end of the road in getting this tow work properly without an RC6 compliant receiver?
What receiver do you have?
Okay so thanks to the guides on the other page I've been able to remap the volume buttons, info button, and tab buttons, so all is good on that front.

I still can't figure out how to get Harmony to control the audio on the amp instead of on XBMC, nor how to set a custom on and off routine regarding the power settings, but at least the major bug bear is fixed...

(2014-01-24, 00:48)teeedubb Wrote: What receiver do you have?

They're unbranded. In South Africa when I bought these online, they were the only two available options (2 years ago) that indicated that they were Windows Media compatible, which what was I was told would be the test for RC6 compliance. I even asked the seller and he said they were both RC6 compliant. Seems he was lying.

But the custom mapping in keyboard.xml (which I didn't previously have) has worked a trick. I used ShowKey to identify which keys were being used and mapped the functions I needed to those keys in keyboard.xml, then taught the Harmony those keys and linked them to the correct buttons on the remote. Works for everything I need so far, so no hassles there.

I now just need to figure out how to get the activities working properly so that I can control the amp while using the new custom learned functions...
On my xbmc profile I've added the volume keys from my TV via the harmony software by learning new codesbfrom the TV remote, you could do the same for your amp volume.
Oh that's brilliant. I hadn't even thought of such a simple and elegant solution. Thank you.

Now it's just the power sequence that needs fixing and all is well...
Actually, you have cec so the tv volume buttons should control the amp when its on and the tv when the amp is off, no?

As for the power sequence, I dont use the harmony "All Off" power button or activities - theyre just confusing. I dont have any activities setup on my 700, instead I have 3 profiles for xbmc, tv and amp. The xbmc profile is kind of a Frankenstein profile with codes from the other two profiles - The first block of 4 custom buttons has a button for tv power since powering the tv on/off does the same for xbmc (cec). Next block of custom buttons has some avr controls, power, input xbmc, movie mode and music mode. Third block has TV input for xbmc and xbmc power. With this setup I use the xbmc profile for the majority of the time, only switching to the other profiles rarely to do something a bit more complicated (setting etc...)
Somehow the power issue has resolved itself. Not sure what happened but it's all working beautifully now, even with activities. Thanks for the help, all...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help getting my Harmony 700 working properly with XBMC...0