WIP Aeon Nox Optimized
Hey everyone,

I had an issue with Aeon Nox. I loved it too much. I got a few Raspberry Pi's put in my house now and Confluence was getting boring. After overclocking a Pi I noticed Aeon Nox ran fairly okay. Some parts were way too slow and animations could drop the frame rate too quickly. After playing around with animations, fades, and scrolls I found I could disable most of them by setting their times to 0 or near 0. Now this doesn't exactly solve Aeon Nox being pretty heavy for low power devices like the Pi, but I think it's a start. It makes the skin just a bit more usable.

I forked the theme in GitHub to share for anyone that's interested. I've only changed a little bit so far, but I'd like to start slimming down the skin a bit to remove features that aren't needed. If you have any suggestions feel free to let me know or send a pull request.

And yes, I did record a video. This was an early test of it to see what it would look like. Again, it's not really that much faster, but there's no waiting for animations which I think makes it feel snappier.

i will test it and see how it does, sounds like a very good idea to do.
Just made a couple commits. The first one fixes the missing labels and options in the skin settings menu. Also did a commit that chops down Startup.xml and cuts out a lot of scripts that get loaded on startup that I think are unnecessary for lower end devices. The latest commit changes addon.xml so it will show up as a separate skin.

I'd love some feedback though. I'll probably start removing some things like the rounded corner poster masks and the glossy overlays to cut back on the amount of stuff rendered on screen. If there's a section that you think is too slow, let me know and I can see what I can do.

So far it's been running great and stable on my Pi. I added the options below to advancedsettings.xml and it runs even better. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the skin or OpenELEC, but do NOT enable dirty regions in advancedsettings. Letterboxed items will not refresh to black. You shouldn't need dirty regions with my optimized skin since there's really no animation.

PHP Code:
<advancedsettings>
  <
network>
    <
cachemembuffersize>30242880</cachemembuffersize>
  </
network>
  <
fanartheight>560</fanartheight>
  <
thumbsize>256</thumbsize>
  <
bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
</
advancedsettings
maybe you shouldnt remove the rounded poster corners, just a good advice, the rest sounds good.
can you please list what you are removing exactly?
Have you tried v5? Its so much better and gotham is about to come into beta so you might waste your time (don't see this as a bad thing, i think its great!)
(2014-01-26, 06:53)neurosis13 Wrote: maybe you shouldnt remove the rounded poster corners, just a good advice, the rest sounds good.
can you please list what you are removing exactly?

Just removed the startup scripts. Diff should tell you Smile

(2014-01-26, 12:53)nivong Wrote: Have you tried v5? Its so much better and gotham is about to come into beta so you might waste your time (don't see this as a bad thing, i think its great!)

Yeah eventually I'll work on it, but I'd like to wait until a stable build. v5 is looking awesome right now and I think it might be easier on systems
Just did another commit. Nothing that really saves on performance, but adds some features to the PVR section of XBMC. I've added two options under skin settings. The first will let you disable the EPG genre color. The second makes the skin a little more OTA friendly. OTA channels can broadcast as subchannels. So instead of having channel 2 3 and 4 you may have 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3. This second option implements a sort of hack to help with that. The EPG will still abide by the backend's numbering, but it will not show the channel number given by the backend. Instead, on the left it will show the channel name and the channel logo if it exists.

If you use this option you will have to set up your backend to send channel names as just the subchannels. The end result looks something like this:

And disabling genre colors looks like this:

Again, these don't really increase the speed of anything, they're just merely for asthetics. However, I did learn about conditionals so now I may tackle the rounded corners and glass overlay with the option to turn it on or off. For the skinners out there, can you use conditionals on the attributes? If you could, I may just go back and make the disabling of animations completely optional.

Commit link
how get rid of it; windows;home(home.xml) mouse;(0.0) focused; 9000(wraplist)
I just noticed this thread and I think it's quite a nice approach for low-end/low-power devices like the Raspberry Pi (plus the fact that Nox 4 is no longer being upgraded makes it easier to start making changes everywhere Cool). Having a few Pi's around the house myself, I will give it a try and will report back on my findings.
Is there any way to get those channel logos without having to buy My Channel Logos? (I'm assuming that's where they are from)
can anyone please help removing that dialogue that gogu13 mentioned in his post

i think its debug dialogue keep appearing on top of screen

windows;home(home.xml) mouse;(0.0) focused; 9000(wrap list)

please help
Oops, must have left some debug options in. Unfortunately my github client has sort of died right now. If you go into the skin files and change line 22 in addon.xml from debugging="true" to debugging="false" it should get rid of the debug text. Not too sure how it got there.

Here's the line in question https://github.com/pathartl/Aeon-Nox-Opt...on.xml#L22
ok will try that thanks
parthartl mate i followed your instructions changed line 22 true to false but now on apple tv skin disappears .....copied again n again but same with that debugging set to true its working fine but shows that text on screen plz help mate
no responseSad((

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Nox Optimized1