ServerWMC - Freezing on Encrypted Channels
Hi all,

Like many posts I have read through so far, I am a noob when it comes to setting up XBMC. I have managed (after a lot of headache) to get WMC configured correctly with my Ceton InfiniTV, CableCard, and Tuning Adapter, but now want to switch to XBMC. My issue is that I cannot seem to get any channels other than those that are non-encrypted (local channels) to work in XBMC. They play correctly in WMC, but not in XBMC using ServerWMC and pvr.wmc. When in XBMC, sometimes they will load but immediately freeze (see Frozen Picture below), or just come up blank. As I previously stated, local, non-encrypted channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, etc.) will play fine through XBMC, it is just with the "cable" channels.

Here are the details:

Cable Provider: Time Warner Cable
Tuner : Ceton InfiniTV 4 (with CableCard & Tuning Adapter)
XBMC build: 12.2
ServerWMC.log: http://pastebin.com/B01j8bWM
Screenshots: Status - General - LiveTV - Frozen Picture

Any ideas, suggestions, or quippy remarks are greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
only wmc plays US encrypted channels
Yep, sadly it's not possible for us to support the encrypted DRM channels. They actually arent even meant to come through on your channels list. Did you change any ServerWMC settings in the config file by any chance? HideDRMChannels should be set true by default and I thought meant that we wont even show these channels in XBMC as an option...
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
Yea, I tinkered with many of the settings trying to find a combination that worked. I did set the HideDRMChannels to false, so that is why I still see them. It just sucks that I will be stuck in WMC for recording anything other than OTA channels. DAMN YOU TIME WARNER!
Sorry to be anal about this, but the problem is not "encryption" but the "copy once" or "copy freely" flag. I'm on FiOS and I can get all my channels to work because they are flagged copy freely even though they are encrypted. I believe Time Warner flags everything as copy once, which is why you can't get them in XBMC.
Yeah that's unfortunate. Are you able to switch providers? That was reason enough for me to switch from time warner. Went to insight which only flagged premium. Then for other reasons switched to Wow! cable. I remember on tw every time I reinstalled Windows I would not be able to view any previous recordings. So depressing. I would jump ship as fast as possible if I were you.
TWC pretty much has a lock on the Charlotte market unless you want Dish Network or DirectTV. I am not a fan of either. I keep waiting for the day FiOS comes to my area. On that day, I will be switching.
(2014-01-25, 18:47)jdlive Wrote: Sorry to be anal about this, but the problem is not "encryption" but the "copy once" or "copy freely" flag. I'm on FiOS and I can get all my channels to work because they are flagged copy freely even though they are encrypted. I believe Time Warner flags everything as copy once, which is why you can't get them in XBMC.

I'm on FIOS as well, before I start playing around with Kodi etc. Did I understand correct that I would be able to both watch live TV via WMC sever plugin but also play content of anything I recorded on WMC? I use HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard.
Yes, ServerWMC allows you to view live TV channels and recordings through Kodi. That being said, Copy Protected content cannot be viewed outside of Windows Media Center. I have Comcast and the only copy protected content are premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, etc. However, it sounds like this setting is mostly up to the service provider and may be more restrictive. You can check the DRM setting of a channel by browsing to the HDHR Prime via the following: http://<HDHR IP Address>/lineup.html. I sometimes have issues with IE but once you get the page loaded you can see which channels that will be unavailable outside of Media Center. They will be noted with a little DRM icon. The next version of ServerWMC will automatically use this method to detect these channels and exclude them from the client channel list.
(2015-02-08, 17:41)artisticcheese Wrote: I'm on FIOS as well, before I start playing around with Kodi etc. Did I understand correct that I would be able to both watch live TV via WMC sever plugin but also play content of anything I recorded on WMC? I use HDHomeRun Prime with CableCard.

Yes, all channels except the premiums like HBO, Showtime, etc.
This my first time using Kodi. I was looking for a workaround for 29/59 Framerate bug on WMC.

Is it for the same reason (encrypted Channel) I am getting a green screen or grey screen with weird noise out of some channel. These channel works fine on WMC.
Probably. Record something on one of these channels (either with wmc or kodi, it doesn't matter). Then try to playback this wtv file in kodi and see what you get.
Windows Media Center PVR addon (pvr.wmc) and server backend (ServerWMC)
http://bit.ly/serverwmc

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ServerWMC - Freezing on Encrypted Channels0