Solved Synology DSM 5.0 MySql connection problem
If you have upgraded your Synology NAS to latest 5.0 DSM Beta and were using mysql with xbmc you will face the problem of clients not connecting to the mysql server. The reason is that in DSM 5.0 mysql has been replaced with MariaDB and because of security reasons it allows connections only from 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP address).

To enable remote client access do the following:

On Synology NAS find the following file and edit it: /etc/mysql/my.cnf or in /volume1/@appstore/MariaDB/etc/mysql/my.cnf

Find the following lines under the [mysqld] section:

[mysqld]
skip-networking
bind-address = <some ip-address, usually 127.0.0.1>
(The lines may not be in this order, and the order doesn't matter.)

comment them out like this (if they dont exist add them) and save the file:

[mysqld]
#skip-networking
#bind-address = <some ip-address>

Restart your Synology NAS.

Enjoy!
Thanks for this, I had the same problem over the last few days since upgrading to DSM 5.0 Beta.

I was going to make the above changes, but logged into the DSM web manager first, and an update to the MariaDB package showed up ready to download in the package center, which lists this problem as fixed now (only accepting local connections). I applied the update, and XBMC could pick up the database again; didn't have to restart the NAS. So hopefully it should just be a case of people getting the package update now to fix it without having to edit confs.

Hope this helps

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Synology DSM 5.0 MySql connection problem1