Design rules/general Add-on settings needed?
Hi, I'd like to ask if there are some specific design rules for Add-ons. From an user perspective, this is what bugs me the most. On the one hand, we have this awesome UI, which merges all possible sources and gives them one unified look. On the other hand, almost every Add-on developer implements his menus in his own way.

I have some Ideas

UI Rules:

Icons: four per Add-on, three simple ones with a white/black/transparent background, one free for the dev - the selection of the icon is made by the skin/user
Search button: always on the bottom of the list, but I would prefer a dedicated button/field, maybe in the top right corner
Videos listing: right now, most Add-ons discard the last videos listed if the user selects a new page - I've experimented a bit with the common cache add-on and this restriction can be overcome (see my Laola1 Add-on - warning, messy code), but it is by far not ideal

General settings which apply to every Add-on:

Stream bandwidth setting
Maximal video resolution
Maximal thumbnail resolution
Maximal background resolution
Use of the thumbnail as background

On a side note, I would restructure the update procedure. Zips are still fine, but not every file needs an update with every change. Icons and Backgrounds stay the same if just the code changes. It would save a lot of traffic if every file is compressed in its own zip archive - maybe over 80%. The website would save much traffic and XBMC would finish the updates in a much shorter time.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Design rules/general Add-on settings needed?0