Search feature has some issues
Hi all,

First thing.
The search has either a bug or it's a bit basic, could do with some work.
I tried searching for "oceans" for the Oceans 11 / 12 / 13 series. No luck finding it.
I searched for the word "eleven" it worked, I believe "oceans" was omitted due to the 's on oceans.
Any chance the search algorithm could consider working around that?

Secondly and what I think is far more important,
The search results box is missing a heap of functionality, I've raised this issue here
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1431078 and I'd like to re-raise the issue.

Yes the search function finds my movie but once I've found it, I can only do the basics, I can bring up a basic context menu or play the movie, the full context menu which is in the traditional library view is missing.
In this example, I need to unmark 9 particular films from being watched, due to a bug in trakt.tv
Ok no big deal, so I know the names of the 9 films, I search for them and find them but I can't "right click" and context unmark them - it's simply not an option in the view presented in search results.
Dealbreaker? Not at all, frustrating and probably easily fixed? Yes.

I know it's a small one but can someone please consider?
2 posssible fixes.
  • I'd LOVE to select a movie in the search results page and it "browses me" to that particular movie in it's relevant location in the traditional library view, OR
  • 2The search results view allows me to pull up the 'proper' context menu so I can perform all the functions I could do, as if I were viewing it in the library?

Does that make sense?

EDIT/UPDATE:

Regarding the search, I've done some testing and I can definitely find Oceans 11 by searching for "Ocean" but I can not find it by searching for "Oceans" I can also find it by searching for the correct "Ocean's"
I suggest that somehow the search be modified to recognise "Oceans" as "Oceans" - maybe even consider simply running the search through the DB twice if the search criteria ends with an S?
Anyone? Do I need to provide screenshots? :/
Try a little harder Add-on:Global_Search (wiki) Works better than default serch is designed as extended search.
I don't understand "Try a little harder"?

I'll see if this addon is any good and give it a shot, I spose if it does what I'm after then that solves the issue. It'd be nice if the stock program handled it better though
Here is my suggestion. Wink

If you open a thread that describes several "issues", it makes things complicated. Because its hard to know what maybe an actual problem from what is a feature request or a bug report. ATM its all jumbled. Wink

To answer your second post question, Yes definitely post screenshots but wait... Big Grin It would be also great to have Debug logs (wiki) so if you really have a problem we can see if this is a setup issue or a xbmc problem. To that effect read this as a guideline HOW-TO:Submit_a_bug_report#Right.2C_so_what_.22information.22_do_you_guys_need.3F (wiki)

Even if its not a bug this info is essential to help others determine cause of problem and get you the help you need faster.

1. Debug log
2. One problem issue per thread.
3. Detailed instructions how to reproduce
4. Screenshots or videos that help digest all the information.

Thanks Smile
It's 2 things, one is a clear and easily reproducable flaw if you simply read it, it's barely a paragraph.
The second one is a design interface issue

Update: furthermore, I just realised I already have global search since I use Aeon Nox, the search is very clearly deficient, I'll update thread with screenshots in the next few days outlining the problems more clearly.
2 things is 1 thing too many.

But ok, you are free to post whatever you like, and however you like within reason, just dont complain when no one replies or when things get mixed up.
You may think it makes perfect sense and its rather simple what you say, others may not. So try extra hard to make it simple.

For e.g I only made refence to that because really I dnt find it that simple to get the actual point. Only that there is some issue with 's, the rest was woooshhh Wink

Make a proper bug report, properly keep it to the point and forget other issues irrelevant to the problem you are reporting. Smile

K.I.S.S.
My writeup is detailed and not overly complex.
The search system is screwing up with punctuation, period.

I guess I'll have to make a proper bug report - might do some testing first with 13 Beta 1 to see if it's still broken.
This bug is still in effect.
I can not find the movie "Shoot 'em up" by typing "Shoot em up" or "Shoot em" only "Shoot" due to the ' in 'em.

Can we please have the search fix this somehow?
Make a proper bug report.
Unfortunate but probably the best course of action at this point.

Well that's not going to happen, the doco says to use our forums account, mine won't allow me to login. So I'll have to wait for someone like Ned to spot this thread.
The trac login is CaSeSenSiTive
Man I registered "AbRASiON" when "AbRASiON" was cool to me - a long long time ago.

Oh interesting you've renamed the staff to "Team-Kodi" people already?
I'll try the login - thanks Kib.
If you want to chance your username on the forum, request so in the website and forum issues subforum
(2014-08-06, 08:53)AbRASiON Wrote: Unfortunate but probably the best course of action at this point.

Well that's not going to happen, the doco says to use our forums account, mine won't allow me to login. So I'll have to wait for someone like Ned to spot this thread.

A proper bug report doesn't necessarily mean posting what you posted here on trac (so you dont find yourself with a closed report) , you need debug logs, descriptions on how to duplicate the issue and maybe even screenshots to say the least, information that so far you have been asked for and do not provide. See post #5 further up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Search feature has some issues0