Which hardware to buy?
Hi there, this is my 1st post and im reasonably new to using XBMC, I was trying to decide which device to buy to run it on for my TV room, I want it to run smoothly, cost within £200. I dont need web access, play games or use blurays. But being able to use Netflix on it would be nice. I saw INTEL BOXDC3217BY Barebone Mini PC, going for about £130, and OUYA for £99, can anyone suggest any other item or if I should go for 1 of these? I dont have a wired connection going to my TV room atm, so would need to be wireless. Thanks for the help
Zotac ID18 is worth a look too - can be had for about £90, £20 or so for memory and is a great little machine
Does it need Infra Red remote control?
Thanks for the replies, Ill take a look at the Zotac ID18. Infra red isnt too important as I plan to use an android tablet as the remote. I just found the Intel NUC mentioned above for £180 including a Crucial M500 120gb SSD. What would be the difference between the NUC and the Zotac ID18?

Also I have lying aound 2x4gb Corsair laptop ram DDR3 1333. Can this be used for either unit?

Thanks for the help Smile
I had a look at the ID18, but would like to go for i3 or better, my budget is now upto £350 all in, I already have the RAM, and I want the unit to be relatively small. Are there any other options I should consider or go for the Intel NUC i3 3rd Gen. Also what would be the best options for a remote? If I wanted to get IR on here, can I just use a usb plugin? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
try this one:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=184533
Ive now ordered the following parts:

Intel NUC i3
Intel 525 MSATA 120gb SSD
Intel 7260 WIfi+BT
2x4gb laptop RAM

Is there anything else I'll need?

Can someone please point in the direction of a guide to installing openelec with XBMC with this setup. Thank you
(2014-01-27, 15:40)King Krish Wrote: Ive now ordered the following parts:

2x4gb laptop RAM

just a little overkill for an htpc with xbmc...

2 gb ram and 32gb msata would be more then enough for openelec

but anyway, the bigger the better Wink

EDIT: ops.. you need netflix.. so windows route.. 64gb msata and 4gb ram then

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcate...tel-builds

Link on there for DL of image, as well as link to wiki for install directions.
(2014-01-27, 17:21)buzzqw Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 15:40)King Krish Wrote: Ive now ordered the following parts:

2x4gb laptop RAM

just a little overkill for an htpc with xbmc...

2 gb ram and 32gb msata would be more then enough for openelec

but anyway, the bigger the better Wink

EDIT: ops.. you need netflix.. so windows route.. 64gb msata and 4gb ram then

BHH

Yeh I thought it maybe a little overkill, but the price came to £210 with the offers on and I already had the RAM from a previous upgrade i done. This unit is mainly to be used for the family so I thought if i put 120gb it shouldnt need me to make any changes, I hope at least lol.

I think as I need windows for Netflix Ill stick to using the Smart TV for it. Ive never used Openelec before but hopefully its fine.

(2014-01-27, 22:25)00b5 Wrote: http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/viewcate...tel-builds

Link on there for DL of image, as well as link to wiki for install directions.

Thanks for the link. Ive downloaded Openelec now and bookmarked the guide, just need to wait for it all to arrive to give it a shot.

Thanks for all the help. Ill be back once Ive set it up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which hardware to buy?0