Running in Docker on Intel Nuc - headless?
Hey all, have a Docker server running on an Intel Nuc and was thinking to run Kodi there in a container.

So, question is, should I run it as a "server"?

Would that assume is that it's not hooked to a TV? The nuc has HDMI out and it's located near my receiver so could easily be plugged in.

Most docker images (docker hub) seem to be "headless", which I assume need a client on the viewing end, like tablet ,fire TV etc.

Does it make sense to have a non-headless install on Docker in this config, seems silly to stream over wifi when I can be hardwired right?

Anyone recommend a non-headless container?

(this is cross posted to the Discord chat, hope that's OK)
(2017-12-19, 00:17)braddo Wrote: So, question is, should I run it as a "server"?
Kodi was never designed to be a server. The only server-y part is the UPnP/DLNA sharing option.
Which part(s) of Kodi do you see as a headless server option?

(2017-12-19, 00:17)braddo Wrote: Most docker images (docker hub) seem to be "headless", which I assume need a client on the viewing end, like tablet ,fire TV etc.
If you need a server, just run a server that is meant as a server IMO.
(2017-12-19, 01:06)Klojum Wrote:
(2017-12-19, 00:17)braddo Wrote: So, question is, should I run it as a "server"?
Kodi was never designed to be a server. The only server-y part is the UPnP/DLNA sharing option.
Which part(s) of Kodi do you see as a headless server option?
(2017-12-19, 00:17)braddo Wrote: Most docker images (docker hub) seem to be "headless", which I assume need a client on the viewing end, like tablet ,fire TV etc.
If you need a server, just run a server that is meant as a server IMO. 
OK, just asking about "server" and "headless" because most docker containers containing Kodi on dockerhub indicate that they are servers or headless. I also don't exactly know what that means.

Regarding if I need a server, the Nuc is just a little box without a display and with no keyboard etc. I use ssh to configure it, and it's currently being used as a server in that sense.

However, it is collocated with the AV receiver so could have a front end, and it sounds like you're suggesting that would work best in my situation.

Now not sure if those headless containers actually have no head i.e. somehow they don't have a front end in the box or not.

Then get IR working so I can use my Harmony remote to control Kodi.
Which OS is currently running on the NUC? Something Linux I imagine?

LibreELEC (Kodi + minimal Linux) also has Docker support. So you could have Kodi on your AV/TV as a normal front-end, and have your docker stuff running as well. Just a thought. Smile
Yes, running Ubuntu server on the Nuc - I know I could install Kodi bare metal but still hoping to find (or figure how to make) a docker container because it's likely the Ubuntu server OS is missing a bunch of prerequisites and it's nice to keep it "pure" i.e. with nothing else installed. It's so hard to keep track of anything on Linux, I prefer to be able to just start with zero and get back to production quickly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Running in Docker on Intel Nuc - headless?0