Help with nVidia Gt220 and Frodo
Hi Guys,

Looking for a little help with Frodo on ubuntu running on an Dell Dimension C512 with an nVidia GT220. I've run though the nVidia Ubuntu install and updated with the current nVidia drivers. At first I was missing the xorg,conf so I ran though the tutorial on how to get that created. The OS looks to using the correct video drivers and Im getting full 1080p display just fine, but when I launch Frodo, XMBC loads the background, no menus and then crashes. Here is a log of the errors. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

http://pastebin.com/veqxaDVV
your nvidia driver is not installed (properly):
22:31:02 T:3038521088 NOTICE: GL_VENDOR = VMware, Inc.
22:31:02 T:3038521088 NOTICE: GL_RENDERER = Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)

don't run the driver installer, use the ubuntu packages(nvidia-current)

Also note that xbmcbuntu already ships working nvidia drivers. You also have pulse audio on there, which is not really supported in Frodo. You'll need a gotham nightly for proper support.
Thanks wsnipex-

I'll run though the install again, I used the nvidia-current drivers ppa, but I'll try again. I've done the install several times with no luck, I'll post back the results.

The drivers that shipped with the install didn't work correctly for me, same error and all I had was 600x800 resolution listed. Thanks for the note about pulse audio, wasn't focusing on that yet since I was trying to get the video drivers situation under control, the plan is to go to gotham.
Okay, so I've done the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings

Reboot the PC, after reboot the desktop resolution was awful. So one more reboot and the resolution is back to 1080 but the xbmc.log still shows VMWare as the vendor. I tried to run nvidia-xconfig but the program is missing (yes I did navigate to the directory /usr/lib/nvidia...)

Any other ideas?
Not sure where to go from here, I have removed all the nvidia drivers and reinstalled the nvidia-current. lsmod shows:
Module Size Used by
nls_utf8 12494 1
isofs 39211 1
lirc_dev 18671 0
parport_pc 31969 0
ppdev 12818 0
autofs4 27436 1
snd_hda_codec_hdmi 31457 4
nvidia 10287298 0

Clearly the nvidia driver is installed, yet I still get the error. ideas??
New pastebin.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
you do not need a ppa, ubuntu's own repositories have the drivers. Stick to the ones supplied with your OS IMHO.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
nickr -

I've actually used both versions. Neither have worked. I'll work on getting a second patebin but really the log didn't change much. GLVENDOR still shows VMWare for some odd reason. I was able to get the nvidia-xconfig installed and working correct as well. xorg looks good, 1080 60hz shows up in the file correctly yet on boot all I get is 640 res.

I'll post back a pastebin tongiht, but I fear a windows install may be in order.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with nVidia Gt220 and Frodo0