Center channel not loud enough after downmix to stereo
Hello,

I often encounter the problem that the voices are not loud enough for me to understand whith all the surround effects going on...

Do you know if it is possible to increase the volume of the center channel in XBMC if you downmix to stereo?
If not, will this be possible in v13?
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
chancenvergeber
Not possible in v13 either. Why don't you just use the channel balance controls of your AVR?
(2014-01-27, 20:15)Kib Wrote: Not possible in v13 either. Why don't you just use the channel balance controls of your AVR?

I have a stereo setup (2 speakers + stereo AMP) that's why I need the downmix - so there is no way to control the center channel with the amplifier.
Gotham does a lot of these things a bit more sensible, so it might just be better anyway. Try it!
(2014-01-27, 20:31)chancenvergeber Wrote:
(2014-01-27, 20:15)Kib Wrote: Not possible in v13 either. Why don't you just use the channel balance controls of your AVR?

I have a stereo setup (2 speakers + stereo AMP) that's why I need the downmix - so there is no way to control the center channel with the amplifier.
Have you try to use Dynamic volume in AVR?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-01-27, 21:52)bluray Wrote: Have you try to use Dynamic volume in AVR?

I have an old-fashioned analog stereo amplifer - no AVR. It's a simple amplifier with volume control only.

I think dynamic range compression is also a feature inside of XBMC, I haven't tried it yet, because that's not what I am looking for. I just would like to increase the volume of the center channel if the audio stream is downmixed to stereo.

@Kib:
Could it be possible to include this feature in future versions of XBMC? Or am I the only one who would like to have this?
(2014-01-27, 20:31)chancenvergeber Wrote: I have a stereo setup (2 speakers + stereo AMP) that's why I need the downmix - so there is no way to control the center channel with the amplifier.
Since this is your configurations, I don't know that it is possible. You'll need at least 3 channel to be able to control center channel.....

Can you increase the mids to increase the tone on your Amp?
ONLY volume control.

In the living room I have an AVR, but in another room there is just a stereo system and I am not going upgrade it in the near future.
If I used a separate media player, I would just configure the codec settings...but that's not possible in XBMC..
(2014-01-27, 23:00)chancenvergeber Wrote: ONLY volume control.

In the living room I have an AVR, but in another room there is just a stereo system and I am not going upgrade it in the near future.
You must have a very old stereo amp, because most stereo amp included treble/mid/bass knobs.....
No, it's pretty new.
I don't like these knobs. I usually use it for music only and I want to listen to the music like it was meant to be by the sound engineer...these knobs just make it sound wrong.
I enable the tone defeat on my analogue stereo amps as I follow the same ideal,though when listening to unmastered boolegs there could be allsorts of frequencies playing havok.
To get around it I ebayed a vintage analogue equalizer and hooked it up via the tape loops,when Im playing cds or flac files I bypass the loop,for raw recordings its enabled and I can control the mix,
Its a roundabout way and I dont know what equipment your using but it works for me.
(2014-01-28, 22:40)petemcfc Wrote: I enable the tone defeat on my analogue stereo amps as I follow the same ideal,though when listening to unmastered boolegs there could be allsorts of frequencies playing havok.
To get around it I ebayed a vintage analogue equalizer and hooked it up via the tape loops,when Im playing cds or flac files I bypass the loop,for raw recordings its enabled and I can control the mix,
Its a roundabout way and I dont know what equipment your using but it works for me.

In this case I just have a stereo setup and I would like to boost the center channel - tuning the frequencies does not help.
I also do this in my 5.1 setup (in the AVR settings) because I prefer to have the voices a little louder - especially if I watch movies in English (I am not a native speaker).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Center channel not loud enough after downmix to stereo0