Netflix no longer working on ATV2
Hi all,

I realize this question isn't strictly XBMC related, but hoping someone may be able to help. I have an ATV2 which is jailbroken (ver 4.4.4) and I've used to run XBMC for a few years now with no major issues. I also use the ATV2 to watch Netflix through its native app.

Just a couple days ago, I started having issues with Netflix. If I choose Netflix from the "Internet" menu, it displays "Accessing Netflix" with the spinning icon and gets stuck there - it never makes it into the Netflix menus. What's odd is, I can choose a Netflix movie from the "Top Picks" menu that runs along the top edge of the screen and I'm able to go into the menus for that movie and watch it, browse similar movies, etc. But I can't access my main NF menu which means no option to view recently watched or My List.

I've unplugged the ATV2 for several hours and that doesn't resolve the issue.

I'm at a loss for what else to try. If I select "Reset" from the General ATV2 menu, is that going to hose my XBMC install and/or undo the jailbreak?

Thanks for any suggestions.
You might have to update the iOS version to get some of the recent Netflix updates. I would check out firecore.com and see what the latest version of Seas0nPass is and what iOS versions it works with. I'll look around for this info as well, as I've been meaning to update our jailbreak FAQ.
Thanks Ned, it's been forever since I jailbroke my ATV2, so I'll need to get back up to speed on everything to see if I can do the iOS update. I think I recall it needs saved blobs and all kinds of things I may or may no longer have!

But, the problem isn't just with me as I just found this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5831031?tstart=0
You might need to use VPN to watch Netflix. If there is a geographical restrictions to watch Netflix through ATV2 then you must go for VPN software as it allows you to not only Netflix but other geographical restricted sites. Hope this will help you out
No VPN needed - I'm in the US watching US Netflix.

I ended up updating the ATV2 to 5.3 and re-jailbreaking it per Ned's suggestions. That did the trick - not sure if there may have been a different solution, but I'm up and running so no complaints here.
At last! I have had exactly this problem the last couple of days and tried everything except wiping the lot and re jailbreaking - looks like I'll have to do that
The solution for updating to 5.3 is indeed the correct one, and I think I can shed some light on why.

I was in a similar situation,my lounge based ATV2 with 4.4.4 and XBMC12.0 recently did the same, the kids were not impressed.

Netflix support were no help, although very pleasant. I swapped in my other ATV2 which was on the same software etc and it had the same problem which led me to think it was a Netflix issue of some sort.

The ATV2 would still playback the titles shown at the top of the screen but as mentioned, clicking Netflix left the text "Accessing Netflix" on the screen.

I grabbed the latest version of Seas0nPass and with a heavy heart, resigned myself to taking the jump up to 5.3.

Well, with this, Netflix now works again, but here's the kicker. Version 5.3 supports Netflix profiles. I know about these as the PS3 Netflix client has supported them for some time.

I hear you crying "so what!", well here's the thing.

The old style Netflix software on ATV2 would probably grab a menu from Netflix and then display it, that's the list of "recently watched", recommended, etc with the sign out option at the bottom after you clicked on Netflix.

In shiny new profile land, there's an extra menu displayed after clicking on Netflix where it shows a list of the profiles on the account and invites you to choose one. Then, and only then does it put up the main menu.

My guess is that Netflix recently discontinued support for the older firmwares, so an old firmware ATV2 when presented with details of profiles to choose from, wouldn't know what to do with it, hence the sitting there displaying "Accessing Netflix" until it got a response it could understand, which was no longer forthcoming.
How is the performance of XBMC after the upgrade to 5.3? Any noticeable slowdowns when watching heavy files (720p mkv)?

Edit: I have the same problem that the OP had, I was really hesitant to go upgrade the iOS because I thought the 5.3 jailbreak was tethered only, but I just figured an untethered one has been release for a while. My only concern now is performance.
(2014-02-04, 02:14)roymathieu Wrote: How is the performance of XBMC after the upgrade to 5.3? Any noticeable slowdowns when watching heavy files (720p mkv)?

Edit: I have the same problem that the OP had, I was really hesitant to go upgrade the iOS because I thought the 5.3 jailbreak was tethered only, but I just figured an untethered one has been release for a while. My only concern now is performance.

I have to say I've not noticed much difference in performance with 5.3. I don't watch a lot of 720p content though so YMMV.

The most important thing for me is that it works again and it plays what we mostly watch (which is TV eipisodes along with our DVD ISOs, ripped to keep little fingers away from shiny discs).
True... I did the 5.3 upgrade a few weeks ago and the performance is just fine. Well worth it!
(2014-04-02, 22:37)roymathieu Wrote: True... I did the 5.3 upgrade a few weeks ago and the performance is just fine. Well worth it!

I am new to the forums, I have the same problem, how did you upgrade to 5.3 from 4.4.4. I googled the question and could not get a good answer, thanks

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Netflix no longer working on ATV20