Which Android TV box for use with XBMC.

Hello all...

Would appreciate some advice on my first purchase of an android stick/box. I had been using a desktop PC behind my TV to provide access to web browsing and watching catchup TV. The PC is now out of commission and while looking for alternatives such as nettops or raspberry pi I came across the android option which seems to meet all requirements while reducing the electric bill. Also the XBMC implementation looks great for media center.

I was going to go for the MK808 but I feel a quad core box would be a better option with more power and additional ports. There are two devices I am tempted by..the Justop Quadro or the MINIX neo x7. These two devices use different processors and graphics so hard to make a direct comparison.

Can anyone advise which one of these will offer best performance and do they display true 1080p without upscaling? If there are some alternatives I should be looking at please let me know.

- Devices I have looked at...

Mk808
======
Dual core ARM Cortex A9 1 GB ram

Quadro
======
1.5GHz x4 Allwinner A31S Quad Core Cortex-A7 processor and a PowerVR SGX544 GPU,2GB DDR3 ram

MINIX neo x7
===========
Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A9 processor with Quad-Core Mali-400 GPU, 2GB DDR3 ram

Thanks for your time.
Hi, got mine off e-bay £85, worked so well got one in the bed room and my sons room, plays all the movies, TV and and catch up in full HD can search and select movies in standard, 720 or full HD, wireless in the two bedrooms have a netgear n900 router, which has had no problems when all 3 units are streaming its a dual core box, item 251330490498 comes fully loaded, turns your tv into a smart tv, childs play to use, updates itself, fantastic support, and simple how to vids, even the wife can use it, have a look.
^Wow, quite the sales pitch.
Thank you for the link Phatrasta.. More interested in quad core device than dual core.

Waiting on delivery of the MINIX neo X7. Looking forward to setting it up!
I'm currently using an unbranded G18ref mx box (the same as gbox midnight mx) but running mx-Linux.
Things work ok on android but with Linux the UI is much faster and it plays back 60Mbps video.
Dual core aml8726, mali 400gpu, built in wireless and has a composite output (doesn't with with the Linux build though)
Great little box, got mine on eBay for £50

If you just want XBMC then Linux on the box is amazing but the stock android FW does all your basic web browsing and things well.
I use a matricom mx2 works great
Okay, that's four posts - you're a spammer. Reported to mods.

EDIT

Previous spam post removed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which Android TV box for use with XBMC.0