XBMC Responding check with Callbacks
Hey Guys,
I want to start in a few days a complete fresh XBMC installation from the scratch.
In course of that i try to implement a very robust and unbreakable Installation.

In the past i have some problems when xbmc isn't responding any more. If that case appear the only solution is to restart XBMC manually.

I wont now write a little C-Programm that checks periodically if XBMC is responding on commands or not.
If XBMC doesn't react after a defined time, the programm starts a kill & restart function.

My first idea for a solution is to use a callback-method from xbmc.

I don't have dealt with the xbmc architecture and i want to work in in a few days.

My question so far:
Is this a possible solution and if yes which callbacks are interessted in that case?
Should i use a Python Callback or a C-Callback method from XBMC itself ?

About hints & tips for a solution of the problem I would be very happy

greetings
Vertax

PS: Sorry for the bad english ^^
Why not actually report the freezing issues instead. Please upload some logs so we can fix the issue rather then you writing a script around it.
I run XBMC 24/7 on one of my machines and it usually runs for 30-60 days before I manually reboot. - XBMC should be quite stable!

If you do want to write a script you could check if the webserver was still running, if JSON-RPC was still responding etc etc.
i wrote an ugly, linux only, patch to hook up the render loop to the watchdog, and reboot when it locks up. i believe the openelec guys included it too, not sure.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5921...hdog.patch
patch might not apply cleanly, wrote it for frodo
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Hey Guys, thanks for the answers.
Reporting the freezing issues is indeed importing.

But i think for a mainstream solution xbmc need a "self-healing" procedure.
In most cases xbmc isn't the source of the error but rather an dirty written addon or something else.

My ideas going in direction like Android handles not responding Applications.
In this case Android suggest to wait for it or kill it.

Rarley xbmc produce the issues that the gui is unavailable, but if this error occured i think xbmc should solve by itself.

If an costumer buy an htpc with xbmc he dont interesst where the error occured (also if its caused by himself).
Hes only interesseted that the product still works in an appropriate way.

In comparison to the software of an DVD-Recorder, Recevier, ... XBMC have a higher error and crash rate.
Thats totally ok for such a complex (and great Smile) Open-Source Project but to compensation this disadvantage a self healing procedure would be in my opinion very nice and would promote the acceptance as a whole in one device.

Please think if you buy a TV what would you do if the device hangs up 3 Times a Month and you have stand up to cut the power connection ?
You wouldn't buy the same TV anymore and go to another brand.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Responding check with Callbacks0