Remapping stereo (2.0) to 2.1 output
I have been searching for a way to utilize my subwoofer when playing stereo audio tracks. I do not use a receiver, just a sound card hooked directly to some power amps, so I do not have the ability to send the audio signal to my subwoofer once it leaves my HTPC. Is there a way to force 2-channel audio to be redirected to my subwoofer? I am not very familiar with editing the asound.conf. If I enable "send to all channels" within XBMC it works but it also sends the audio to my center and surrounds, I don't want that. How does the dynamic upmixing work in the new audio engine? If I have XBMC audio settings set to Analog 5.1 and play a stereo audio track it only comes out the two front speakers and not the subwoofer.
How I see it stereo audio is just that,2 channels and if you also want to send a signal to the sub you'll just muffle the high end.
Too much LFE can loosen bowels you know.
So if I change "Speaker Configuration" to "2.1" and "Output stereo to all speakers" it works like how I want it to. Does anyone know if it is possible to automatically switch the "Speaker Configuration" based on the source? For instance if a stereo track is played it will fallback to "2.1".
No there isn't, I think the best you can do is configure 2 profiles, one for 2.1 audio and one for 5.1 audio.

Once that's done then switching profiles can be mapped to a button press.
I didn't realize you could switch profiles through a mapped button, interesting. This also gives me some ideas to switch between my tv and projector too. I will test out the profile switching tonight. Thanks.
This is a good reference for how to do the profile switching http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61779

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remapping stereo (2.0) to 2.1 output0