Beamer as an external player for Xbmc
Wondering if it is possible to use Beamer as an external player for Xbmc. I’m running a iMac with a ATV3.

Thanks in advance
Beamer is rather for video files that are downloaded to Mac and need to be inserted into Beamer in order to be airplayed through ATV3. I use Airserver for XBMC streaming movies.
(2014-01-29, 23:02)smera Wrote: Beamer is rather for video files that are downloaded to Mac and need to be inserted into Beamer in order to be airplayed through ATV3. I use Airserver for XBMC streaming movies.

Hi, I'm just curious. How do you use Airserver if you want to stream movies from XBMC to AppleTv? :-)
As far as I could see on Airserver.com it is only an Airplay-receiver when you install it on a Mac.
I have both Beamer and Airserver installed on my mac mini (latest i-7 model). When I want to airplay a video file (movie) already saved on my mac, I use Beamer to airplay it through my ATV3 to HDTV. When I watch XBMC videos, I set Airserver to airplay through ATV3 and watch it on HDTV. I think this is it, but I will check once again when I come home this evening.
(2014-01-29, 23:02)smera Wrote: Beamer is rather for video files that are downloaded to Mac and need to be inserted into Beamer in order to be airplayed through ATV3. I use Airserver for XBMC streaming movies.
Apparently Beamer works as an external player when using a PC running Xbmc. Basically was wondering if the same can be done with a Mac.
(2014-01-30, 12:29)smera Wrote: I have both Beamer and Airserver installed on my mac mini (latest i-7 model). When I want to airplay a video file (movie) already saved on my mac, I use Beamer to airplay it through my ATV3 to HDTV. When I watch XBMC videos, I set Airserver to airplay through ATV3 and watch it on HDTV. I think this is it, but I will check once again when I come home this evening.

I have tried Airserver on my Imac; and I could not get it to work. If I play a live movie ( not a saved file) on my Imac through Xbmc; Airserver does not give me a choice of devices that I would want to stream the movie to. In my case, it would be my ATV3. I can stream via Airplay. But I was hoping that in being able to use Beamer as an external player; one could just play the live video (not a saved file) from Xbmc and it basically would automatically start streaming to my ATV3. Would be nice; but, me thinks its not possible!
Here is copy and paste from the frequently asked questions at the Airserver site.

Q. Can I use AirServer to mirror my desktop to an Apple TV or iOS device?

No, at the moment, AirServer is not able to mirror your desktop. AirServer will only allow you to receive mirrored or streamed content from iOS devices or other mirroring-enabled Macs
Apparently you are right. I was airplaying from my mac mini to ATV3 and I thought that was Air server. It appears that function is inherent to mac so that only stream can be airplayed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Beamer as an external player for Xbmc0