XBMC settings for soundbar
(2014-01-30, 00:30)verismo Wrote:
(2014-01-29, 22:32)tommyonegun Wrote: I have that sound bar hooked up to my vizio tv through optical. The vizio tv actually passes through dd and dts at 5.1. I then have my tv connected to htpc via hdmi.

If you have a vizio tv along with this sound bar, check the audio settings on the tv. You may have an option to change the output from 2.0 to dd/dts 51.

i have a vizio e601-a3 60", wheres this option?
This model might be able to pass-thru 5.1 to soundbar. Check page #33 in your manual to change digital audio output. Some TV's will not allow pass-thru 5.1 from external sources (blu-ray player, DirecTV, HTPC, etc), but it allows pass-thru 5.1 when playback through internal sources (OTA, NetFlix, Vudu, etc). You can try to connect to connect your system this way- HTPC to TV using HDMI cable and then from TV to soundbar using Optical cable.....

To find out for sure, you can try it and play around with it....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
does dolby digital mean bitstream? Manual says to turn on bitstreaming but there's no option for that.

only option on my TV is pcm or dolby digital
(2014-01-30, 03:50)bluray Wrote: Some TV's will not allow pass-thru 5.1 from external sources (blu-ray player, DirecTV, HTPC, etc), but it allows pass-thru 5.1 when playback through internal sources (OTA, NetFlix, Vudu, etc).
You're the one I rely on info the most in this forum, and it seems that you never run out of information. One of my HDTV would not pass through 5.1 through optical when I plays movies using blu-ray player, but I can never understand why. I can gets 5.1 from over the air fine. Can you explain to me in simple term? Thanks.
(2014-01-30, 15:34)noworry Wrote:
(2014-01-30, 03:50)bluray Wrote: Some TV's will not allow pass-thru 5.1 from external sources (blu-ray player, DirecTV, HTPC, etc), but it allows pass-thru 5.1 when playback through internal sources (OTA, NetFlix, Vudu, etc).
You're the one I rely on info the most in this forum, and it seems that you never run out of information. One of my HDTV would not pass through 5.1 through optical when I plays movies using blu-ray player, but I can never understand why. I can gets 5.1 from over the air fine. Can you explain to me in simple term? Thanks.
The idea behind it is that most customers don't use TV speakers when using Blu-ray player. They usually connects Blu-ray player to AVR to get better sound, and then from AVR to TV. They figured that most customers will not connect Blu-ray player directly to TV, so they don't want to invest extra money and resource to add the option that most customers will not use. On the other hand, when they are watching TV on OTA source they usually don't like the sounds from their TV speakers, and most customers opts to connect their audio output from TV to AVR using optical so they can enjoy better sounds through surround sound system. They thought that the option to allow audio pass-thru from TV's internal source through optical is well worth the investment and resource. That is the simplest way I can explained it....

(2014-01-30, 05:15)verismo Wrote: does dolby digital mean bitstream? Manual says to turn on bitstreaming but there's no option for that.

only option on my TV is pcm or dolby digital
As far as I understand, different manufacture use different terminology. You can try Dolby Digital option, and Dolby Digital should give you 5.1. If it is PCM, TV is doing the decoding before it send signal to soundbar. It might be 2 channel only after TV decoded it. I don't know for sure...

To find out for sure, you can give the two options I explained above a try....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings for soundbar0