• 43(current)
Release service.subtitles.subscene
@Forage these links work and I got the files now, thank you very much! I'll take a look at them and will work on my subscene addon to integrate this.

@juuser I understand the possible problem for regular kodi users, however, my addon isn't in the kodi repos and needs to be installed manually or via my repo. This means the users already know how to install non-standard addons and are able to read Big Grin I'll add a note to the addon description as well as my repo to make people aware that the cloudscraper addon may need to be installed as well if they are not able to find any subtitles whatsoever. I'm not sure if there is a way to display a direct warning or error message notification as subtitle addons in kodi are only meant to pass lists to Kodis limited subtitle downloader interface.
Got an error message or something not working as it should? Provide a full Debug log (wiki) via paste.kodi.tv
@AnonTester when you talk about "my addon", which one are you referring to? The subscene addon is in the main Kodi repository and this is where the fix should go in the end. That is, if we finally get a confirmation from someone else that it works for them as well.
@Forage There have been multiple forks over the years of the original subscene addon created by CrowleyAJ/Manacker. Jarmo fixed a couple of things when it broke due to Kodis Python 2/3 change, then I took over the maintenance of it and kept it working for both python 2 and 3 and looked into various download issues. The current version is 1.9.12 and it's not in the main Kodi repo. The addon's name is "Subscene.com" and a variation to only look for subtitles for foreign parts, my github https://github.com/AnonTester/service.su...s.subscene with the complete history. This kodi forum thread is the support and development of the original addon.

The zip file you adjusted is from a different fork and is called "Subscene Subtitles" aka service.subtitles.subsceneplus by Cih2001 https://github.com/Cih2001/KodiSubsceneAddon and there haven't been any changes or updates in his github for almost 2 years. There's no kodi forum thread referenced on the github or in the addon itself. There are several open issues on github, so it may not be actively maintained by Cih2001 any longer.
Got an error message or something not working as it should? Provide a full Debug log (wiki) via paste.kodi.tv
Thanks for clarifying that. I actually took what is in the official Kodi repositories (Cih2001's fork) and I assume most users don't go any further than that either. Would it not be an option to get that replaced with your fork if you are the one maintaining a fork at the moment?
@AnonTester Installed and working perfectly with Kodi 19.1.

Thank you for maintaining this addon.
@Forage due to the various issues both with Subscene itself and the seemingly random issues with cloudflare, I kept it out of the official repos. I believe the official repos should only contain fully working and stable addons and not some that may or may nor work for some people some of the times. If/when the cloudflare addon solves the issues for good, then that's fine and might be the time to submit it and make it available to the general user-base.
As the subscene plus addon appears to be dead, I'll see what features it has and if I can port some of them into the main one. My spare time is limited and I haven't had the chance to work on the integration yet, but hope to find the time on the weekend and push an updated version to my repo for testing and feedback soon.

@protogen thanks for your feedback and I'm very happy it's working for you. You're very welcome!
(2022-09-29, 23:26)AnonTester Wrote: I believe the official repos should only contain fully working and stable addons and not some that may or may nor work for some people some of the times.

Well, currently the official repos contain a fully broken addon, and have done for years, so that makes no sense.

What makes sense is to include addons that work now. That also provides extra incentive to maintain them. Please ask to add yours. There is enough support here. Or maybe a custom repo so we can keep it updated automatically via Kodi?

Many thanks for fixing and maintaining your fork! (I can only see 1.9.0 latest in your github releases though, i guess you mean master as zip)

EDIT: I just tried yours and says it didn't find any (english) subtitles, but I can see plenty myself on subscene.com, so something is off Sad
EDIT2: I tracked the problem down in the debug log. My movie in Kodi is titled "Something.Something.2018.1080p.WEBRIP.X264-MyOwnRip" because for some reason its title wasn't changed even though it did match against TMDB (poster, info, cast, everythign except proper title - using Embuary with Embycon, only recently started having this issue). Debug log shows that your code does fetch the html from subscene's search results page, extracts movie titles from those search results, then says it didn't find the movie Something.Something.2018.1080p.WEBRIP.X264-MyOwnRip within those search results ... I understand why, but the code could be a little smarter to extract the movie title from a filename like that. The Opensubtitles plugin does that and works for movies that have this kind of titles.
Here's an updated script.module.cloudscraper add-on to cloudscraper 1.2.66 to make my earlier subscene mod work again:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4t6hjpbfi...r.zip/file

Note that I did not bother with python2 compatibility, unlike the original cloudscraper addon.
Goes to show that regular updates of this add-on are needed to keep things working. All the more reason to keep it a separate add-on.
Getting this in Kodi v20.0 and v20.2 on Windows 11
Got Subscene.com Subtitles from repository (v1.2.9 by Cih2001)

Code:
2023-10-16 17:12:58.788 T:5604    error <general>: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                                    - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                                   Error Type: <class 'AttributeError'>
                                                   Error Contents: module 'xbmc' has no attribute 'translatePath'
                                                   Traceback (most recent call last):
                                                     File "C:\Users\Kodi\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\service.subtitles.subsceneplus\service.py", line 22, in <module>
                                                       PROFILE = xbmc.translatePath(ADD_ON.getAddonInfo('profile'))
                                                   AttributeError: module 'xbmc' has no attribute 'translatePath'
                                                   -->End of Python script error report<--

2023-10-16 17:12:58.868 T:2348    error <general>: XFILE::CDirectory::GetDirectory - Error getting plugin://service.subtitles.subsceneplus/?action=search&languages=English&preferredlanguage=English

All dependencies on Auto-update, so some are higher/newer then what's needed. 
If more info needed, just ask for it. All help is appreciated.
xbmc.translatePath was removed in Kodi 20, making this add-on incompatible. It is unmaintained and just changing to xbmcvfs.translatePath is not enough.
Could you properly fork this on GitHub? That'd make external submissions much easier, thank you!

Edit: Synced fork with xbmc.translatePath fixed: https://github.com/pannal/KodiSubsceneAddon
  • 43(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
service.subtitles.subscene8