New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0315b
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.6 #1 PREEMPT Sat Mar 15 18:06:50 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 15 2014 15:30:12
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version b900c4d8b452a9cf58972f7abb70c6fe4368c5da (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140315184013-r17928-g2bbee7c

Based on tip of XBMC master (bfbc5b9, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (2bbee7c, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for bf4c224 which I've replaced with a static spinner to avoid hammering the GUI)
  • Includes kernel 3.13.y-next commits (see below for details on enabling FIQ_FSM patch)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • Includes newclock3: "More efficient infobool expression evaluator" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
  • Includes newclock3: "Allow small audio packets to be concatenated to make better use of audio fifo" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
Build Highlights:
  1. New Firmware Mar 15:
  2. XBMC:
    • Optimised shutdown check
  3. newclock3:
    • [omxplayer] Avoid concatenating vorbis files
    • Remove ios7 airplay hack - now with fixes only from PR4414

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

3. The FIQ_FSM patch is now enabled by default in OpenELEC master. See the FIQ_FSM announce thread for details.

One new feature, currently disabled by default, is accelerated support of high-speed isochronous transactions (webcams, real time devices, etc.). There's a possibility this could be used by ALSA or DVB modules (although not always) which may affect some users (hopefully for the better). If you might benefit from this, enable by adding the following option to the end of the line in your /flash/cmdline.txt file:
    Code:
    dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-03-15, 20:18)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 20:15)606u Wrote: Seems like it's metadata related problem: after I cut 1st 10 minutes with mp4box, the result works just fine. When I add metadata with an up to date version of Subler (for Mac) it also works. Will try to trim and re-add metadata or to remux the movie. File is 1,5 Gbytes, will take awhile to upload it to Dropbox, but can do it, its not a problem.

Okay. If you can't get the cut down version to fail, then I can download the big version.
File have been uploaded at the same Dropbox folder where music is.
(2014-03-15, 21:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0315b
(Supercedes previous build)

AirPlay looks good, thanks!
(2014-03-15, 18:20)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-15, 18:08)606u Wrote: Glad of being of help. Can I get the new firmware somehow or should I wait for the next build?

Download these two files:
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/r...tart_x.elf
https://github.com/Hexxeh/rpi-firmware/r...ixup_x.dat

rename to start.elf and fixup.dat and copy to FAT partition of sdcard (e.g. using windows sdcard reader).
I've made a number of tests with this patch, as well with OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Milhouse-20140315184013-r17928-g2bbee7c. Playback of stereo, 24-bit, 88,2 kHz does work indeed (as is 44,1, 96 and 192 kHz). Multi-channel playback, however, is worse, compared to OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Milhouse-20140308023729-r17871-g8a2f22b. I've uploaded two more 5.1 test files: at 44 kHz and 96 kHz. Overall 44 kHz used to playback fine with avg utilization about 50% (full screen, no info ribbon), 88,2 kHz works with about 5-7% idle, which seems more or less the limit for non-overclocked Pi; multi-channel 96 kHz gives 0% idle and starts stuttering in several seconds.

As I listened closely I believe channels are not correctly mapped to the speakers. Audio from left and right speaker feels quite different and I think one of rear speakers plays LFE channel, instead. I have no idea if files are okay: they are ripped using DVD-Audio Explorer to WAVE files, encoded with XLD (on Mac). Any pointers welcome. BTW ALAC files can be opened with Audacity (at least on Mac), where I see no clear indication or marking of which channel is which.
I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching doesn't throw up an answer. I'm trying to set up wifi, but I'm not getting anything under openelec settings/Connections - it's just blank. I'm using an Asus N10 micro, which I believe is supported and works under RaspBMC...

What am I missing this time? Probably something very obvious!

BTW popcornmix, HiFiBerry working really well with the new build, a noticeable difference compared to analogue out. I was originally a recording engineer so while I'm probably half-deaf I am very critical of poor sound. I'm looking to run wifi to avoid the ground-plane noise introduced by most ethernet connections...
(2014-03-16, 05:13)Irisheyes Wrote: I'm sure this has been asked before, but searching doesn't throw up an answer. I'm trying to set up wifi, but I'm not getting anything under openelec settings/Connections - it's just blank. I'm using an Asus N10 micro, which I believe is supported and works under RaspBMC...

What am I missing this time? Probably something very obvious!

First of all, if your WiFi is not supported by OpenELEC you'll need to confirm the support situation by testing the official/stock OpenELEC 4.0 Beta - if the situation remains the same (ie. no working WiFi in OpenELEC 4.0 Beta) then raise the issue on the OpenELEC github, providing details of your WiFi hardware. With luck they may add official support which will then appear in these builds. It's unlikely that these test builds have broken support of your WiFi hardware (although it is possible, it's unlikely).

I did find this thread which suggests adding "modprobe r8712u" to load the driver for the ASUS USB-N10. Give that a try, then if you want the driver loaded automatically in future you'll need to ask the OpenELEC developers if they will add the necessary support (assuming it's not already working - see above). They may require detailed output from lsusb (vendor and product ids).

As a temporary measure, you can create a module conf file as follows:
Code:
echo "r8712u" > /storage/.config/modules-load.d/asus-n10-wifi.conf
and this will load the driver (assuming it's the right driver) every time your system is booted, which is better than nothing but having it handled automatically would be best (for everyone with a USB-N10).

Edit: r8712u should be supported by OpenELEC, so assuming this is the correct driver for your hardware the first step would be to confirm if your hardware is working in OE 4.0 Beta1 - if not, open an issue with lsusb and dmesg details (see this issue for an example). It could be that a recent kernel update has broken the driver. Or maybe it's FIQ FSM if your hardware works with the official release but not one of these test builds in which case try disabling FIQ FSM with either dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x0 or dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0 and see if that has any effect.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks MilhouseVH, I'll go through your suggestions and report back.
Not sure if it's just me, but every build (including the latest) eventually 'freezes' whilst watching TV. I always revert back to this build which works perfectly:
OpenELEC-RPi.arm-Milhouse-20140228213243-r17825-g1744311

It's every build after it that has the issue. Annoyingly, there is nothing in the logs that show what could be going on, so, in the first instance, does anyone else see this. Secondly, could there be something in the later builds that's hammering the CPU that could cause it to overheat? I've posted my overclock settings before, and I don't want to reduce any unless totally necessary.

Final thing, no matter what I do, DVD player does not work for HD live tv.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Hi MilhouseVH,

I would like to have alsa support in OpenELEC. I don't need it for XBMC, but I would like to run a sequeezebox client which uses alsa on the Pi as well. How can I compile openelec with alsa support. Do you have a build job where I can take a look at your configuration?

Thanks
(2014-03-16, 10:17)craigbeat Wrote: Not sure if it's just me, but every build (including the latest) eventually 'freezes' whilst watching TV. I always revert back to this build which works perfectly:

It's every build after it that has the issue. Annoyingly, there is nothing in the logs that show what could be going on, so, in the first instance, does anyone else see this. Secondly, could there be something in the later builds that's hammering the CPU that could cause it to overheat? I've posted my overclock settings before, and I don't want to reduce any unless totally necessary.

Same/similar issues for me. Audio (passthru) drops first, then a few seconds later it just freezes. Random February builds are ok but I also get the freeze on 3.95.1 & .2. Have you tried either of those?
(2014-03-15, 20:15)606u Wrote: Seems like it's metadata related problem: after I cut 1st 10 minutes with mp4box, the result works just fine. When I add metadata with an up to date version of Subler (for Mac) it also works. Will try to trim and re-add metadata or to remux the movie. File is 1,5 Gbytes, will take awhile to upload it to Dropbox, but can do it, its not a problem.

I can reproduce the problem. It does play correctly with the "faster channel change" patch reverted (so will play correctly with OpenELEC gotham beta build).
I've asked author of that patch for advice.
(2014-03-16, 10:17)craigbeat Wrote: Not sure if it's just me, but every build (including the latest) eventually 'freezes' whilst watching TV. I always revert back to this build which works perfectly:

Same here, random system freezes while watching mkv's.
(2014-03-16, 15:24)botribun Wrote: Same here, random system freezes while watching mkv's.

Have you tried disabling FIQ FSM with either dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x0 or dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_enable=0 to see if this is the reason for the freezes?
Hi popcornmix,

I am still struggling with my issue: No sound when I boot OE on RPi.
I installed OpenELEC Gotham build: #0315b

When I reboot Rpi without switching AVR to standby (I did 5 reboot tests), I get sound system start then system wait for command. The first move with the remote from MUSIC to PROGRAM has no "TIC" sound then all next have. Music (CD flac file) plays well.
When I wait until OE is in screensaver (dim), then a first remote button press activate the screen (no sound), a second remote button press move the "cursor" (no sound) then a new remote button press move the "cursor" with system sound "TIC". Is it an expected behaviour?

When I reboot (I did 5 tests) RPi with switching AVR to standby, I don't get sound at restart, I have to change the screen resolution to get it. BTW, this is not when I press YES to accept the new resolution that I get the system sound but just before when I move the cursor to YES.

When I don't have sound and I reboot without switching AVR to standby I get the sound at start.

Do these tests help to understand where could be the issue?
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
(2014-03-16, 17:28)MrNice Wrote: When I reboot Rpi without switching AVR to standby (I did 5 reboot tests), I get sound system start then system wait for command. The first move with the remote from MUSIC to PROGRAM has no "TIC" sound then all next have. Music (CD flac file) plays well.
When I wait until OE is in screensaver (dim), then a first remote button press activate the screen (no sound), a second remote button press move the "cursor" (no sound) then a new remote button press move the "cursor" with system sound "TIC". Is it an expected behaviour?
Yes, when audio engine is opened the gui sounds get resamples to current sampling frequency as a low priority background operation. Any sounds made before this is complete just get skipped, so first click (or possibly first few) is usually skipped

(2014-03-16, 17:28)MrNice Wrote: When I don't have sound and I reboot without switching AVR to standby I get the sound at start.

Sounds like this issue: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Raspberry_Pi...d_on_first
  • 237(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223