• 245(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-03-23, 21:16)stuCONNERS Wrote: is cron working for other people on these builds?

Yep, just tested it - works fine. Make sure there isn't an error in your cron job configuration or the job itself.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0323
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.6 #1 PREEMPT Sun Mar 23 19:24:43 GMT 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 19 2014 23:26:47
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 98eb97cd0061f2fcff808fe5f32f851d5eada1ee (tainted) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140323195651-r17998-g56d655f

Based on tip of XBMC master (fd16d0b, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (56d655f, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for c81d1ef which I've replaced with a static spinner to avoid hammering the GUI)
  • Includes [url=]kernel 3.13.y-next commits[/url] (see below for details on enabling FIQ_FSM patch)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. Replace "import re" with "import regex as re" in addons to test effectiveness.
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • Includes newclock3: "More efficient infobool expression evaluator" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
  • Includes newclock3: "Allow small audio packets to be concatenated to make better use of audio fifo" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
Build Highlights:
  1. OpenELEC:
    • tvheadend: update to tvheadend-3.9.467
    • Latest FIQ FSM patches accepted into OpenELEC
    • PR4445: Add xbmc.stopSFX() to the python xbmc module.
  2. XBMC:
    • Memphiz Airplay fixes now in XBMC master
    • Several paplayer fixes from Fernetmenta/popcornmix
    • Various AE fixes, subtitle fixes.
  3. newclock3:
    • [players] Increase timeout to 60 seconds - This seems to be the cause of large wtv files failing to play

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

3. The FIQ_FSM patch is now enabled by default in OpenELEC master. See the FIQ_FSM announce thread for details.

One new feature, currently disabled by default, is accelerated support of high-speed isochronous transactions (webcams, real time devices, etc.). There's a possibility this could be used by ALSA or DVB modules (although not always) which may affect some users (hopefully for the better). If you might benefit from this, enable by adding the following option to the end of the line in your /flash/cmdline.txt file:
    Code:
    dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-03-23, 22:56)MilhouseVH Wrote:
How can I update to tvheadend-3.9.467? I'm running 3.9.383 but when I "update", tvheadend downgrades to 3.4.27.
(2014-03-24, 00:09)MaxiMillion Wrote:
(2014-03-23, 22:56)MilhouseVH Wrote:
How can I update to tvheadend-3.9.467? I'm running 3.9.383 but when I "update", tvheadend downgrades to 3.4.27.

That's the version included in this build of master (I think - maybe it's just for add-on builds) and updated from 3.4.27. The "beta" server still has version 3.4.27. The commit description is for this update is: "lets get this tested. pls dont push to -4.0 branch" which may explain the delay putting it on the Beta server as it needs more testing. Have asked on #irc if 3.9.467 is available anywhere.

Edit: Sorry for the confusion - that change (update to 3.9.467) applies to the addons which aren't in the build (natch), and because they the OE developers are being cautious they haven't yet made v3.9.467 available until they get further feedback. So just wait a bit longer....
With this latest build network issues have been fixed. The performance improvement from frodo is amazing.
my cron job were exactly the same as frodo, but they dont seem to be working on gotham. anyone got any ideas?
Check you have have a working PATH. Check journalctl for any cron-related errors/failures.
Is there a difference in performance between this build and OpenELEC Frodo build?
(2014-03-24, 18:46)luksol Wrote: Is there a difference in performance between this build and OpenELEC Frodo build?

Yes.
(2014-03-24, 18:46)luksol Wrote: Is there a difference in performance between this build and OpenELEC Frodo build?

Only a 'tiny' bit... Performance wise these builds are great! BUT if you are not familiar with these builds: these are test builds, meaning you will be asked to test stuff and hence these are not stable builds.
If you want stability you should use Frodo. If you want a more speedy / latest version: try the Open Elec 4.0 Beta 2 (or 3?) version (found on the OpenElec site somewhere). Use these builds only if you know what you are doing and willing to spent time to test stuff and/or excpect (minor) issues.
DTS with my Yamaha RX-V 673 via HDMI passtrough is not working on the latest MilhouseVH builds.
Dolby Digital works fine.

config.txt
Code:
gpu_mem=128
gpu_mem_512=256

arm_freq=900
core_freq=333
sdram_freq=450
over_voltage=2
force_turbo=0
initial_turbo=30

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
#no_hdmi_resample=1
#hdmi_stream_channels=1

hdmi_drive=2
hdmi_mode=5

config_hdmi_boost=4
#hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

decode_MPG2=0xxxxxxxxx

advancedsettings.xml
Code:
<advancedsettings>
<showexitbutton>false</showexitbutton>
<destroywindowcontrols>false</destroywindowcontrols>
<fanartres>540</fanartres>
<imageres>256</imageres>
<bginfoloadermaxthreads>2</bginfoloadermaxthreads>
<useddsfanart>false</useddsfanart>
  <video>
    <defaultplayer>omxplayer</defaultplayer>
    <defaultdvdplayer>omxplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
  </video>
<network>
    <cachemembuffersize>2621440</cachemembuffersize>
    <alwaysforcebuffer>0</alwaysforcebuffer>
    <limitcacherate>false</limitcacherate>
    <curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
</network>
</advancedsettings>

Passtrough activated, channels set to 2.0
(2014-03-24, 20:44)bladel Wrote: DTS with my Yamaha RX-V 673 via HDMI passtrough is not working on the latest MilhouseVH builds.

Are you sure it's enabled in audio settings?
If it is, then pose a debug log.
(2014-03-24, 20:47)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-24, 20:44)bladel Wrote: DTS with my Yamaha RX-V 673 via HDMI passtrough is not working on the latest MilhouseVH builds.

Are you sure it's enabled in audio settings?
If it is, then pose a debug log.

yes it is enabled.

could the guisettings.xml be the problem? removed the audiooutput part, but it keeps coming back like this:
Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>true</ac3passthrough>
        <ac3transcode>false</ac3transcode>
        <audiodevice>PI:HDMI</audiodevice>
        <channels>1</channels>
        <config>2</config>
        <dtshdpassthrough>false</dtshdpassthrough>
        <dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
        <dualaudio>false</dualaudio>
        <eac3passthrough>false</eac3passthrough>
        <guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
        <normalizelevels>true</normalizelevels>
        <passthrough>true</passthrough>
        <passthroughdevice>PI:HDMI</passthroughdevice>
        <processquality>30</processquality>
        <samplerate>48000</samplerate>
        <stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
        <streamsilence>-1</streamsilence>
        <truehdpassthrough>false</truehdpassthrough>
    </audiooutput>
I think guisettings.xml gets overwritten from some settings cache as part of a shutdown or reboot from the menu.

There may be another (better) way to preserve an edited guisettings.xml through a reboot, but the reboot command in a terminal session does the job.
(2014-03-24, 22:14)bladel Wrote: yes it is enabled. log:
http://pastebin.com/aaPGtU9e

could the guisettings.xml be the problem? removed the audiooutput part, but it keeps coming back like this:
Code:
<dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>

Nope it's not enabled.
Make sure "DTS capable receiver" is enabled in audio settings.
You may need to set settings level to advanced.
  • 245(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223