• 253(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
(2014-03-29, 16:49)popcornmix Wrote: Any recent gotham builds (since the beta version) will use the same version of database 78 for video):
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...s/Versions

Cool.. will remember that link for future reference.

Thanks
(2014-03-29, 18:39)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-29, 18:36)Hypertown Wrote: How do I check what player is being used? I didn't have an advancedsettings.xml file and created one with:

If the visualisation works, it is paplayer. If not it is omxplayer. The log will also tell you.
Enable debugging and post a debug log (to xbmclogs.com) showing the glitch.

Thanks. I checked it and paplayer is the default player, but I don't know whether is was the default player before my addition of the advancedsettings.xml. I did some more testing and it seems to work ok now. If I encounter the problem again I will turn on logging and post it here.
Gotham build: #0329

@popcornmix
Thanks for your great job
Some improvements but:

Still same skin issue:
Every time I open System>system>video output, I get the message "Save resolution. Would you like to keep this change"
(2014-03-20, 22:17)606u Wrote: I have the same two problems, except I got the message "Save resolution..." twice: here is a short clip; message also appears when video settings are opened right after a restart (while Pi is restarting TV and receiver are switched on and TV's active input is the receiver).

Playing with PAPlayer (default)

1- Beethoven_op111_sats1_multikanal.flac
FLAC
Variable
6 channels Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE
96.0 KHz 24 bits

===> This file has drops every few seconds but less than previously.

2- 6_Channel_ID.wav
Little
Signed Constant
4 234 Kbps
44.1 KHz 16 bits
AND
Nums_7dot1_24_48000.wav
PCM
Little
Signed Constant
9 216 Kbps
8 channels Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
48.0 KHz 24 bits

===> LFE (subwoofer) is not mapped

I still have 1/2 second drop of the very beginning a file when there is no blanc before music start. What is the good way to improve?
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
When I use an USB-Stick für STORAGE, I'm unable make an SSH Connection. Putty gives a "Connection refused".

But SMB is working all the time, it's just SSH, which doesn't work.

When STORAGE is on SD-Card, everything is working great.

I'm really puzzled ....

EDIT: Also effects OpenElec Beta 3.95.2
(2014-03-30, 11:07)Loom Wrote: When I use an USB-Stick für STORAGE, I'm unable make an SSH Connection. Putty gives a "Connection refused".

But SMB is working all the time, it's just SSH, which doesn't work.

When STORAGE is on SD-Card, everything is working great.

I'm really puzzled ....

EDIT: Also effects OpenElec Beta 3.95.2

I also had this problem with a fat32 formatted USB /storage
Format it as ext4 and problem is sorted
Thanks, makes absolutely sense Wink
(2014-03-28, 00:23)matthias76 Wrote:
(2014-03-27, 18:30)SenorLoco Wrote: I have been noticing issues with the wifi connection dropping randomly (in fact it just happened since my last post. I'm currently away from home so I'll try to get the dmesg later today). When the wifi connection has been dropping openELEC is still running fine, just no network connection.

i got Tenda 11N Wireless USB Adapter W311U
works fine on frodo

on gotham Beta2 only randomly find the WifiUSBStick.
tried latest milhouse build -> same problem.
Coldstart 70 % find the WiFiDongle
Warmstart never find the WiFiDongle.

if its not found i cant connect to wlan. turn on and off in wlan settings no success.
do a coldstart sometimes help and wlan in working.

tried latest popcormix build.
gives me always connection to wlan.
Edit: yesterday always connection, i swear !! today only randomly. Edit end:
offical beta2 and milhouse build does not !?
any solution ?
(2014-03-30, 09:29)MrNice Wrote: Every time I open System>system>video output, I get the message "Save resolution. Would you like to keep this change"
[quote='606u' pid='1658548' dateline='1395346626']
I have the same two problems, except I got the message "Save resolution..." twice: here is a short clip; message also appears when video settings are opened right after a restart (while Pi is restarting TV and receiver are switched on and TV's active input is the receiver).

I did see this yesterday and have pushed a potential patch. I didn't see the corrupt refresh rate visible in the video (which I have seen before), so it may not be the only issue. But try again after next build appears.
BTW, do you plug the Pi into different displays? I have a feeling that the issue occurs when the preferred resolution/refresh written to guisettings.xml changes.

Quote:Playing with PAPlayer (default)

1- Beethoven_op111_sats1_multikanal.flac
FLAC
Variable
96.0 KHz 24 bits

===> This file has drops every few seconds but less than previously.

Is it better when fullscreen (press tab and wait for "Now playing" to disappear)?
Is it better with visualisation disabled?

Quote:2- 6_Channel_ID.wav
===> LFE (subwoofer) is not mapped

What is you "number of channels set to"? You only get the LFE mapped in "N.1" layouts. If you downmix to 2.0, then LFE is (deliberately) not mapped.

Quote:I still have 1/2 second drop of the very beginning a file when there is no blanc before music start. What is the good way to improve?

That is receiver (or TV) locking time. If "Keep audio device alive" is enabled and the output is the same format, then you will get no gap.
If the output is a different format then you will get a gap.

Basically if number of channels or sampling rate changes, then receiver (or TV) will need to resync and may produce a gap. That's unavoidable.
The only solution is to change "output configuration" to fixed, and enable stereo upmix. Now all audio will be resampled/upmixed to the fixed format,
and receiver/TV won't have to resync. This setting is probably undesirable due to increased CPU load, extra resampling, and it doesn't let receiver upmix (which may be able to do a better job).
There will be a new toy to play with in the next build.

The Pi has some quite advanced scaling hardware which is able to do higher quality scaling than other ARM (and probably most PC) boxes.

I've added an API to the firmware where the scaling kernel (a 32 tap filter) can be controlled.
I've hooked that into the sharpness control on the video OSD.
I've used the sharpness control for now as that gives an unobtrusive slider at the top of screen, rather than the scaling method drop down which obscures most of the screen.

Basically sharpness=0 uses the default scaling kernel (Sinc over the range +-3*PI with Hamming window applied).
Each click to the right of that uses a different kernel. I've implemented 9 kernels. Try them and report what you prefer.

Some suggestions:
It's probably best to pause the video when there is some detail visible (like text) to see the effect.
Don't try it when video is 1080p and display is 1080p or you won't see anything. It's more interesting when playing SD content on a HD display
It's not magic. The kernels are a compromise between sharpening (producing more detail, but increasing noise) and blurring (hides the noise and the detail).
The best option for SD video may be different to the best option for 720p.

If anyone is curious and especially if they know about image scaling, then you can see the current kernel with:
Code:
vcgencmd scaling_kernel
scaling_kernel=-2 -3 -4 -4 -3 1 9 22 40 64 90 118 145 169 186 196 196 186 169 145 118 90 64 40 22 9 1 -3 -4 -4 -3 -2   0

and set it with a similar command. The first 32 numbers are the filter coefficients. The last is whether coefficients interpolation is disabled.
(it should be 0 unless doing a nearest-neighbour type kernel).
I am probably one of the only few people still using 256Mb version of RPi and I am wondering what are the optimal RAM settings for it.

GUI is rendered at 900p, fanartres and imageres are at their defaults. And I have no idea what gpu_mem, gpu_mem_256 and gpu_mem_512 should be.

Problem is, because sometimes when I am streaming online videos (youtube), xbmc (or just online stream) crashes, and I would say, that is because RAM, cache, or some other memory related setting.

cheers
(2014-03-30, 18:09)pikoli Wrote: I am probably one of the only few people still using 256Mb version of RPi and I am wondering what are the optimal RAM settings for it.

GUI is rendered at 900p, fanartres and imageres are at their defaults. And I have no idea what gpu_mem, gpu_mem_256 and gpu_mem_512 should be.

Problem is, because sometimes when I am streaming online videos (youtube), xbmc (or just online stream) crashes, and I would say, that is because RAM, cache, or some other memory related setting.

If online streaming is crashing, it is too high a cachemembuffersize (see http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Advancedsettings.xml).
I'd suggest setting it to 0 so the sdcard caches the stream which will reduce memory usage. Otherwise set it to about 2M.

gpu_mem_512 is only used by a 512M board, so ignore that.
Set gpu_mem_256=128 would be my suggestion on Gotham. You can set it lower, but may have issues with some library views, or when playing 1080p video.
@popcornmix

That's very cool! Didn't know the Pi was capable of advanced scaling, can't wait to try it out in the next build! Will the sharpness slider name the filter used? I'm used to MadVR on my PC so it would be nice to know the name of the scaling method...

Thanks for all the hard work!
(deleted - built with incorrect firmware)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-03-30, 18:19)ajp2k14 Wrote: That's very cool! Didn't know the Pi was capable of advanced scaling, can't wait to try it out in the next build! Will the sharpness slider name the filter used? I'm used to MadVR on my PC so it would be nice to know the name of the scaling method...

No names are shown. In some ways I'd prefer people didn't know what they are.
I think one of the options is better that the default and it would be nice to see if there's any agreement.

Depending on the consensus there may be choice of named filter.
Or perhaps use the sharpness slider to adjust the amount of sharpness/filtering done by the favoured one.
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0330
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.7 #1 PREEMPT Sun Mar 30 20:44:22 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 30 2014 15:59:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8f13fa508997a043a3d78822e3f67ec044b4e7bf (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140330204313-r18050-g2d44624

Based on tip of XBMC master (e48c618, changelog) and tip of OpenELEC master (2d44624, changelog) with the following modifications:
  • Includes newclock3 commits (except for fbc7e54 which I've replaced with a static spinner to avoid hammering the GUI)
  • Excludes the OpenELEC fernetmenta patches (due to conflict with newclock3)
  • Includes Python regex package for evaluation purposes. Initial benchmarking indicates generally positive (and in some cases, significant) performance gains. Replace "import re" with "import regex as re" in addons to test effectiveness.
  • Default setting for "Show RSS Feed" changed to disabled
  • Disabled "Total Duration" in Confluence (see build #0221 for details)
  • ALSA is enabled and any suitable hardware should be available in XBMC Audio Settings
  • Includes newclock3: "More efficient infobool expression evaluator" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
  • Includes newclock3: "Allow small audio packets to be concatenated to make better use of audio fifo" (reverted in stock OpenELEC)
Build Highlights:
  1. New Firmware Mar 30:
  2. XBMC:
    • OpenSSL/Curl, JSON and Settings updates
  3. newclock3:
    • [windowing] Only need a confirmation dialogue when resolution has actually changed
    • paplayer: use position based seeks for ffmpeg demuxer
    • [rbp] Fix leaks in the failure handling of jpeg decode to texture
    • ensure we don't set or show VSYNC_DRIVER on those systems that don't support it. Only show or set on Linux and FreeBSD.
    • switch default in settings.xml to something supported on all systems (ALWAYS) and quirk it on Linux and FreeBSD
    • [omxplayer] Add ability to choose different scaling kernels through OSD - see this post for details.

Additional Testing Notes:
  1. Testers should try adding the following entry to their advancedsettings.xml:
    Code:
    <advancedsettings>
      <video>
        <defaultplayer>dvdplayer</defaultplayer>
        <defaultdvdplayer>dvdplayer</defaultdvdplayer>
      </video>
    </advancedsettings>
    and report if it is better/worse than omxplayer. You can still play files with omxplayer using the context-menu "Play using... OMXPlayer".

2. The following settings are no longer required in config.txt and should be removed:
    Code:
    no_hdmi_resample=1
    hdmi_stream_channels=1
    no_resample_audio is now a default, and hdmi_stream_channels is switched based on audio content. For the time being when using passthrough, 2.0 speaker layout should continue to be used (you will still get 5.1 with AC3/DTS).

3. The FIQ_FSM patch is now enabled by default in OpenELEC master. See the FIQ_FSM announce thread for details.

One new feature, currently disabled by default, is accelerated support of high-speed isochronous transactions (webcams, real time devices, etc.). There's a possibility this could be used by ALSA or DVB modules (although not always) which may affect some users (hopefully for the better). If you might benefit from this, enable by adding the following option to the end of the line in your /flash/cmdline.txt file:
    Code:
    dwc_otg.fiq_fsm_mask=0x7
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
  • 253(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223