• 254(current)
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 2
I'm getting occasional lockups when leaving youtube streams paused for a while. I was wondering if the contents of my advancedsettings is causing an issue, specifically the network settings. It's an overclocked 512mb pi running the latest MilHouse build.

<network>
<alwaysforcebuffer>0</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>
<limitcacherate>false</limitcacherate>
<curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
</network>
(2014-03-30, 22:05)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 18:19)ajp2k14 Wrote: That's very cool! Didn't know the Pi was capable of advanced scaling, can't wait to try it out in the next build! Will the sharpness slider name the filter used? I'm used to MadVR on my PC so it would be nice to know the name of the scaling method...

No names are shown. In some ways I'd prefer people didn't know what they are.
I think one of the options is better that the default and it would be nice to see if there's any agreement.

Depending on the consensus there may be choice of named filter.
Or perhaps use the sharpness slider to adjust the amount of sharpness/filtering done by the favoured one.

Ok thanks, I think I understand why you want to keep it that way for now at least... Smile
Gotham build: #0329

(2014-03-30, 13:27)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 09:29)MrNice Wrote: Every time I open System>system>video output, I get the message "Save resolution. Would you like to keep this change"
[quote='606u' pid='1658548' dateline='1395346626']
I have the same two problems, except I got the message "Save resolution..." twice: here is a short clip; message also appears when video settings are opened right after a restart (while Pi is restarting TV and receiver are switched on and TV's active input is the receiver).

I did see this yesterday and have pushed a potential patch. I didn't see the corrupt refresh rate visible in the video (which I have seen before), so it may not be the only issue. But try again after next build appears.
BTW, do you plug the Pi into different displays? I have a feeling that the issue occurs when the preferred resolution/refresh written to guisettings.xml changes.

Quote:Playing with PAPlayer (default)

1- Beethoven_op111_sats1_multikanal.flac
FLAC
Variable
6 channels Front: L C R, Back: L R, LFE
96.0 KHz 24 bits

===> This file has drops every few seconds but less than previously.

Is it better when fullscreen (press tab and wait for "Now playing" to disappear)?
Is it better with visualisation disabled?

Quote:2- 6_Channel_ID.wav
===> LFE (subwoofer) is not mapped

What is you "number of channels set to"? You only get the LFE mapped in "N.1" layouts. If you downmix to 2.0, then LFE is (deliberately) not mapped.

Quote:I still have 1/2 second drop of the very beginning a file when there is no blanc before music start. What is the good way to improve?

That is receiver (or TV) locking time. If "Keep audio device alive" is enabled and the output is the same format, then you will get no gap.
If the output is a different format then you will get a gap.

Basically if number of channels or sampling rate changes, then receiver (or TV) will need to resync and may produce a gap. That's unavoidable.
The only solution is to change "output configuration" to fixed, and enable stereo upmix. Now all audio will be resampled/upmixed to the fixed format,
and receiver/TV won't have to resync. This setting is probably undesirable due to increased CPU load, extra resampling, and it doesn't let receiver upmix (which may be able to do a better job).

Quote:BTW, do you plug the Pi into different displays? I have a feeling that the issue occurs when the preferred resolution/refresh written to guisettings.xml changes.
I have only a DVI monitor connected to my AVR through HDMI-DVI connector.
If I click YES the message doesn't appear any more, if I click NO it will appear again next time I go on Video output.

Quote:Is it better when fullscreen (press tab and wait for "Now playing" to disappear)?
Is it better with visualisation disabled?
Fullscreen (black monitor) > still the issue
Visualisation is disable (I always disable it). No difference when enable.

Quote:What is you "number of channels set to"? You only get the LFE mapped in "N.1" layouts. If you downmix to 2.0, then LFE is (deliberately) not mapped.
Speakers setup is 5.0. When the guy says "4", I should hear "4" in the large band speakers (FL, FR) but there is no sound.
Moreover:
Nums_7dot1_24_48000.wav
Wave PCM
Little Signed
9 216 Kbps
8 channels
Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
48.0 KHz
24 bits

I hear:"1 2 3 - 5 6 7 8"
So no 4 but
1 from FL > OK
2 from FR > OK
3 from Center > OK
No 4 > Bad
5 from RL > OK
9 from RR > OK
7 from RL > Bad
8 from RR > Bad
7 should come from FL-RL (middle of both) and 8 should come from FR-RR (middle of both).
Config, video/audio player:
3T HDD <USB> Odroid N2+ / CoreElec <HDMI> Denon AVR-2313 <HDMI> LG TV 55UF860V
                                          <nfs wired> Linksys WRT32X router <USB> 4T HDD
(2014-03-30, 18:02)popcornmix Wrote: There will be a new toy to play with in the next build.

The Pi has some quite advanced scaling hardware which is able to do higher quality scaling than other ARM (and probably most PC) boxes.

I've added an API to the firmware where the scaling kernel (a 32 tap filter) can be controlled.
I've hooked that into the sharpness control on the video OSD.
I've used the sharpness control for now as that gives an unobtrusive slider at the top of screen, rather than the scaling method drop down which obscures most of the screen.

As a reminder to all: don't forget to disable sharpness on your TV or AVR for a clear comparison.
Thank you for the feature popcornmix, great work!
With the new scaling kernal, 4 click right seems the best to me for 720p youtube streams.
Do you guy's recommend de-interlacing to AUTO?..........or off?
(2014-03-30, 13:27)popcornmix Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 09:29)MrNice Wrote: Every time I open System>system>video output, I get the message "Save resolution. Would you like to keep this change"
[quote='606u' pid='1658548' dateline='1395346626']
I have the same two problems, except I got the message "Save resolution..." twice: here is a short clip; message also appears when video settings are opened right after a restart (while Pi is restarting TV and receiver are switched on and TV's active input is the receiver).
I did see this yesterday and have pushed a potential patch. I didn't see the corrupt refresh rate visible in the video (which I have seen before), so it may not be the only issue. But try again after next build appears.
BTW, do you plug the Pi into different displays? I have a feeling that the issue occurs when the preferred resolution/refresh written to guisettings.xml changes.
One display only, but when I listen music I don't always turn on the display; also the family watches TV frequently (via an external set-top box). It might be related with Pi booting with no working receiver and/or display, or the display being on another HDMI input. I don't power off the Pi, but lately I update the OS, hence reboot it frequently and there were these few times that after I change inputs I find XBMC working in VGA mode, instead of 1080p.

(2014-03-30, 18:02)popcornmix Wrote: ... Each click to the right of that uses a different kernel. I've implemented 9 kernels. Try them and report what you prefer...
IMHO 0.14 is nicest and sharpest and smoothest in the same time, for SD and 720p. 0.08 is also okay, but little bit more blocky (little blocks of 2x2 pixels or so, can't really say).

Blurry kernels are nice, too, because some of them reduce compression artifacts.
(2014-03-30, 18:02)popcornmix Wrote: There will be a new toy to play with in the next build.

The Pi has some quite advanced scaling hardware which is able to do higher quality scaling than other ARM (and probably most PC) boxes.

I've added an API to the firmware where the scaling kernel (a 32 tap filter) can be controlled.
I've hooked that into the sharpness control on the video OSD.
I've used the sharpness control for now as that gives an unobtrusive slider at the top of screen, rather than the scaling method drop down which obscures most of the screen.

Can you confirm this only applies to omxplayer (and not dvdplayer, which doesn't appear to have the "(VDPAU)Sharpness" slider)?

+4 (0.08) and +7 (0.14) both seem quite good - my preference being +7, followed by +4.

Between +1 and +6 (excluding +4) the image detail becomes too soft, while +8 and beyond it becomes too pixelated.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
My HiFiBerry is working great with these builds. But is there any way to have simultaneous output on the HiFiBerry and HDMI?
[quote='MilhouseVH' pid='1667894' dateline='1396210327']
New OpenELEC Gotham build: #0330
(Supercedes previous build)

Code:
# uname -a
Linux rpi512 3.13.7 #1 PREEMPT Sun Mar 30 20:44:22 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux

# vcgencmd version
Mar 30 2014 15:59:18
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version 8f13fa508997a043a3d78822e3f67ec044b4e7bf (clean) (release)

# lsb_release
OpenELEC (Milhouse) - Version: devel-20140330204313-r18050-g2d44624

========================================================================
Ok, Did a complete new install:
1) Installed Gotham OpenELEC Beta - Raspberry Pi ARM Version:3.95.3
2) Samba copied Gotham build: #0330 .tar to Upgrade
3) Rebooted,
4)after reboot Gotham logo disappeared (Frodo Logo now) and tar file got extracted looks like update worked.
5)Still Audio only one channel
6)Log: http://sprunge.us/MAIY
=================================
OpenELEC:~ # uname -a
Linux OpenELEC 3.13.7 #1 PREEMPT Sun Mar 30 20:44:22 BST 2014 armv6l GNU/Linux
OpenELEC:~ # vcgencmd version
Mar 30 2014 15:59:18
Copyright © 2012 Broadcom
version 8f13fa508997a043a3d78822e3f67ec044b4e7bf (clean) (release)
OpenELEC:~ #
OpenELEC:~ # aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: DAC [USB Audio DAC], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
grep -v CecLogMessage /storage/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log | pastebinit
http://sprunge.us/MAIY
===============================================
Also thinking to use a powered USB hub to connect the DAC. ATM WiFi and DAC both are directly connected to RP.
OpenELEC:~ # lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 08bb:2704 Texas Instruments Japan <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<DAC

OpenELEC:~ # lsmod | grep snd
snd_soc_wm8804 6854 0
snd_soc_wm8731 9498 0
snd_usb_audio 99275 1
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s 5202 0
regmap_mmio 1921 1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_soc_core 96015 3 snd_soc_wm8731,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s
snd_hwdep 4794 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_usbmidi_lib 17590 1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi 16646 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_compress 7036 1 snd_soc_core
regmap_i2c 1161 3 snd_soc_wm8731,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine 2839 1 snd_soc_core
regmap_spi 1469 3 snd_soc_wm8731,snd_soc_wm8804,snd_soc_core
snd_pcm 60999 5 snd_soc_wm8731,snd_usb_audio,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
snd_page_alloc 3468 1 snd_pcm
snd_timer 17745 1 snd_pcm
snd 41108 10 snd_soc_wm8731,snd_usb_audio,snd_soc_core,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_compress
(2014-03-30, 22:13)Trixster Wrote: I'm getting occasional lockups when leaving youtube streams paused for a while. I was wondering if the contents of my advancedsettings is causing an issue, specifically the network settings. It's an overclocked 512mb pi running the latest MilHouse build.

<network>
<alwaysforcebuffer>0</alwaysforcebuffer>
<freememorycachepercent>5</freememorycachepercent>
<limitcacherate>false</limitcacherate>
<curlclienttimeout>30</curlclienttimeout>
</network>

It's better to strip the advanced config as empty as possible. Most recomondations are outdated (bacause of fixes in OE/XBMC or firmware) and can cause issues now. So how about remove these settings and try?
(2014-03-30, 22:13)Trixster Wrote: I'm getting occasional lockups when leaving youtube streams paused for a while. I was wondering if the contents of my advancedsettings is causing an issue, specifically the network settings. It's an overclocked 512mb pi running the latest MilHouse build.

I'm also getting occasional lockups when pausing but it effects any kind of playback format i.e. both streaming and regular video files. It could be related to how long time you're pausing since a short pause (of 5-10 secs) seems to work. The only way to a prevent a freeze is to stop the entire playback instead of pausing.
@popcornmix

+4 and +7 seem best to me too with limited testing on 720p material. +7 has a slight edge I think... will test more tonight.
(2014-03-30, 22:05)popcornmix Wrote: No names are shown. In some ways I'd prefer people didn't know what they are.
I think one of the options is better that the default and it would be nice to see if there's any agreement.

Depending on the consensus there may be choice of named filter.
Or perhaps use the sharpness slider to adjust the amount of sharpness/filtering done by the favoured one.

7 (0.14) is the winner for me in my short tests. 4 (0.08) is pretty sharp too, but introduces more noise.
When i seek some movies (mkv) to beginning i dont have audio and picture freeze after few seconds.

• 254(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC Testbuilds for RaspberryPi Part 223