• 50(current)
Bay Trail-D motherboards
Adjust Refreshrate to match video set to "On start / stop"?

Edit: 4.1.6 still has the "old" Gotham intel implementation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you very much. Setting adjust refreshrate to match video to "always" or "off" and sync playback to "display (video clock)" seems to work (with 25% sync errors at 24fps video at "off" and 0% at always) . "On start / stop" or without syn playback lead to video stuttering.

Xbmc Refreshrate is set to 60 Hz.
Debug Log - playing 24 or 23.976 content at 60 hz just sucks -> On start / stop is what you want - this won't switch back when you scroll the menus while watching a movie in the background.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Well my first Baytrail Gigabyte J1800- D2H I had to retire. I started to notice issues transferring files to and from it and after testing it out and all my hardware I couldn't fix the problem. I could only get 10MB/s max transfer speed over my network. Nothing would fix it except for a new mobo. I grabbed a Asrock Q1900-itx to replace it as my file server. Man I wish I waited for this mobo.. Asrock bios are so much easier to deal with compared to the Gigabyte mobo.

BORIStheBLADE, it's very interesting.
In my example OE cut speeds up to 35MB/s due to NTFS driver and up to 55/62MB with ext3/ext2 FS.

config:
An ASRock Q1900-ITX mobo with SATA HDD and Xpenology [192.168.1.10]
Another PC with SATA HDD and OpenELEC stick [192.168.1.2]
All connected to my router (Gigabit ethernet)

Copying from ASRock Q1900-ITX Xpenology NAS to the PC with OE (NTFS)

Monitoring from my laptop

Copying from ASRock Q1900-ITX Xpenology NAS to the same PC [192.168.1.2], but with Win7 x64

update: same HDD and volume, different FS (ext2, ext3)

--

Wrong CPU speed
(2014-10-04, 15:36)topside Wrote: BORIStheBLADE, it's very interesting.
In my experiment OE cuts speeds up to 35MBps.

config:
An ASRock Q1900-ITX mobo with SATA HDD and Xpenology [192.168.1.10]
Another PC with SATA HDD and OpenELEC stick [192.168.1.2]
All connected to my router (Gigabit ethernet)

Copying from ASRock Q1900-ITX Xpenology NAS to the PC with OE

Monitoring from my laptop

Copying from ASRock Q1900-ITX Xpenology NAS to the same PC [192.168.1.2], but with Win7 x64

--

Wrong CPU speed

The Asrock J-1900 is working great for me. Its the Gigabyte j1800 that I was having trouble with. I was running Windows 8.1 with the J-1800 and If I find some time I might test Ubuntu and see what the speeds are.

ASRock has new motherboards with j2900 gpus, e.g. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Q2900-ITX

A bit pricy (at least here in germany), because specs are almost identical to j1900 motherboards

With not very satisfying results with a few android boxes, I plan to switch back to a passive cooled linux box. Is a j1900 or a j2900 box here the way to go?
Most important points for me are:
- 1080p@24 fluid playback
- HQ upscaling (Intel specific or at least lanczos3)
All these worked with my old VDPAU box, but I don't have any experiences with VAAPI and if the Celeron has enough power for these needs.
I hope some of the VAAPI users here can answer my questions, because I've found no information regarding picture quality and upscaling capabilities on linux

Thanks
zehner
(2014-10-07, 13:22)zehner Wrote: - HQ upscaling (Intel specific or at least lanczos3)
All these worked with my old VDPAU box, but I don't have any experiences with VAAPI and if the Celeron has enough power for these needs.
I hope some of the VAAPI users here can answer my questions, because I've found no information regarding picture quality and upscaling capabilities on linux

The upscaling is the issue. At least the N2820 nor E3815 are not able to upscale using Lanczos3. Have a look at the VAAPI testing thread on this same forum, fritsch has summarized the situation in the first post. The 2955U Celeron, as far as I know, is the lowest cost Intel option that can do it.
(2014-10-07, 13:31)trsqr Wrote:
(2014-10-07, 13:22)zehner Wrote: - HQ upscaling (Intel specific or at least lanczos3)

The upscaling is the issue. At least the N2820 nor E3815 are not able to upscale using Lanczos3. Have a look at the VAAPI testing thread on this same forum, fritsch has summarized the situation in the first post. The 2955U Celeron, as far as I know, is the lowest cost Intel option that can do it.

Thanks trsqr, this is not good news
Then I will better stay with my android box or try the AM1 platform for the time being
(2014-10-07, 13:31)trsqr Wrote: The upscaling is the issue. At least the N2820 nor E3815 are not able to upscale using Lanczos3. Have a look at the VAAPI testing thread on this same forum, fritsch has summarized the situation in the first post. The 2955U Celeron, as far as I know, is the lowest cost Intel option that can do it.

I wonder if the C1037U can do it. The 29xxU doesn't seem to be an option for DIY but the C1037U is still available in mini-ITX motherboards.

There are also A4-5000 and A6-5200 mini-ITX motherboards.
Sorry for the long delay, 4.2.1 fixed my issue with video stuttering [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
So whats your opion on these boards i was going to get one but went Am1 instead which has been great but now i need to build an Hptc for a relation and i have some brand new memory that will fit these boards.

Will be used to play 1080p and the normal downloads duties.

Let me know what you the owners think of these boards any problems as i read some tvs dont get a signal ?

This Htpc will be transported 7000 miles away in to another country so i wont be able to keep going to fix any problems.
Hi ,

I have read whole topic, and already ordered Q1900-ITX with 4GB RAM.
I will be using this as NAS and XBMC in one. I will be doing some tests
with Linux and Windows - platform is not really important for me.
As a NAS both will be running fine, as XBMC - I'm not sure which
system would be the best. A few points to take into account:

- there will be no tv headend.
- Optical output is not critical, but would be nice have it fully working.
- have a lots of tv movies, mostly in SD, however can convert them if
upscaling is bad (have to see it myself to judge)
- have old SSD 120GB as system drive.
- connected to Full HD 50 inches TV

If Windows , what version would be the best for XBMC ?

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Hi,

I vary between a BRIX with J1900 or 2955U. Mostly I want to stream 1080p content from a NAS. Maybe I have some SD content / streams which need to be upscaled. Are there cases where I need the 4 cores of the J1900 or is it better to have two stronger single cores and a better gpu?
Is it possible to stream Netflix or Amazon Instant Video in HD from a browser with these processors? The OS will be linux based, so bitstream of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD is no problem, right?
(2014-12-13, 01:32)XSplash Wrote: Hi,

I vary between a BRIX with J1900 or 2955U. Mostly I want to stream 1080p content from a NAS. Maybe I have some SD content / streams which need to be upscaled. Are there cases where I need the 4 cores of the J1900 or is it better to have two stronger single cores and a better gpu?
Is it possible to stream Netflix or Amazon Instant Video in HD from a browser with these processors? The OS will be linux based, so bitstream of DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD is no problem, right?

2955U for sure. Netflix HD via Chrome (HTML5) works, not sure about AIV. HD audio bitstreaming should work for both under Linux
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Bay Trail-D motherboards8