Geniatech ATV1200 Review (Mygica ATV 1200, Enjoy TV)
Geniatech ATV1200

ATV1200 Enjoy TV Dual Core

Specs: check out the link for details. Details are easy to find with the help of your favourite search engine! It's a dual core ARM Cortex A9. 1 GB DDR RAM/4 GB flash drive. Has four USB ports, 1 SD card slot (up to 32 GB), ethernet, wifi, digital audio, an external antenna, HDMI and a bunch of RCA and composite ports (didn't know people used anything other than HDMI nowadays).

Why a review thread?: I'd been looking all over the place for a review on the Geniatech ATV1200 (http://www.geniatech.com/pa/atv1200.asp) but came up empty handed when I compared it to reviews on the G-box and Rikomagic devices. For that matter, the reviews on other Android TV boxes aren't particularly satisfying either when compared with the reviews you'd get for more mainstream hardware like laptops of phones.

So, here's the start of a thread for this device which seems to be quite popular even though there are relatively few useful reviews online. Add your own experiences.

Background: I was running XBMC 12.3 Frodo on an Apple TV 2, but, the Apple TV 2 was primarily used as a Netflix and occasional iTunes movie rental device. I never really like XBMC on it. Since Apple is rumoured to be coming out with a new Apple TV that will allow games (& who knows what else) to be installed in March I figured it was time for me to capitalise on the jailbreak value of the Apple TV 2 and sell it for about twice what I paid for it.

ATV1200 in action: It's not bad. XBMC is plenty fast (compared to the Apple TV 2) and menus are responsive. I'm warming to XBMC now on this box. Streamed videos from the internet play back without stutter on my wifi network (n connected to ADSL 7 Mbit+). It outputs video at 1080p if you're in 1080p mode but the Android interface is apparently upscaled from 720p if you're in 1080p mode.

Netflix: Netflix works. It plays back video without stuttering but that's about it. The interface for the Android app is designed for touch screen which means it is severely restricted with the Geniatech-provided remote. You'll need a mouse (wireless or wired) to use Netflix properly. What would fix this is if Netflix were to modify the interface of their Android app to allow for remote control control over the interface. I imagine their Google TV app has a different approach. I now have a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard/trackpad and it makes Netflix much more user-friendly.

Region restricted Android apps: I also like to have access to Dutch shows through the web interface and XBMC does give me access to those channels (through XBMC Online TV, aka XOT) but not in a particularly kid friendly way (alpha lists). I was able to install those Android apps from the Dutch Google Play store using a VPN and a Dutch play store account.

Android Interface: It looks like a custom interface more suited to the left-right-up-down nature of a simple TV remote control. Probably better than stock Android interfaces (I'm an iOS user on my phones so I have next to no practical Android experience). Could use a bit of sprucing up but it's functional.

So far so good. I've only been using it for a few days. It's certainly not as good as an Apple TV for Netflix playback but it does seem to do XBMC somewhat better.

Where'd I buy it?: A local Toronto computer store (TechSource/TechCity on Gerrard St) for ~$130. To buy ANY Android TV on-line would've been a bit of a headache for me and I was never quite sure how long I'd have to wait and whether the item was coming from China. The only brand that was easy to find on-line in any volume was the Rikomagic line of sticks, but, I am leery of so many chips packed into such a small package with that much heat being produced so I stayed away from them. I would've loved to try out the RKM mk902 but couldn't find a local source. In the end the ATV1200 seems to fit the bill, for now at least.
Just a short update:

I've been using it a few days now and am warming to it, even with the luxury of an Apple TV experience with Netflix and iTunes movie rentals that "just work". I bought a refurb Logitech K400 keyboard for $30 to control it (from my favourite local Toronto computer store TechCity on Gerrard). That made Netflix a LOT more usable (compared to even a mouse) and also improved the experience with XBMC.

So far XBMC has been great. I've got the default firmware for the ATV1200 (not sure about version but presumably current) and supposedly the firmware autoupdates itself. The Dutch Android apps work nicely as well, except for the occasional region restriction on content (and, I don't need my kids to watch Sesame Street in Dutch so I couldn't be bothered to pay for a VPN).

I suppose Android TV veterans will have their own favourite pint-sized TV controller/keyboard remote controller (they seem to come in at ~$30), but, for my purposes I wanted an actual keyboard with a built in trackpad or trackball (I would've preferred a trackball but the trackpad was the right price $30 after tax!). Being able to do light web browsing is a nice bonus.

Eventually I'd like to try out some of my USB peripherals but I don't imagine I'll be able to get the Hauppage 950Q digital tuner to work with Android (I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does, and even more pleasantly surprised if I can turn the ATV1200 into a DVR... though, I imagine if I install Linux there's a higher chance of me succeeding... though, drivers like that tend to be proprietary and compiled for a particular CPU architecture).
Your welcome.
Does it have audio pass through? I have a UG802 overclocked to 1.7 with 2dark4u rom and it just short of being able to play my .wtv files from Media Center. I think if it had passthrough like my RPI they would work. Best way to get support for peripherals would be to checkout the freaktab forums. Some of the guys there know how to bake the drivers into the rom. I don't think there is any kind of software to run tuners in android, so unless you can install linux on it, probably won't work. I'd be interested to hear if it does work with a mini pc. I have a 950q laying around, haven't used it since I got my HDHomeRun units, Prime and Dual.
For the most part you're speaking Greek to me Smile. Audio pass through, UG802, 2dark4u (I supposed I could look up the terms ;-).

I do build my own desktops from scratch and have installed Linux and created custom builds of Linux (a number of years ago now... before children and before job) but I'm mostly a plug-and-play guy. Although the thought of putting Linux on this box appeals to the tinkerer in me, I simply don't have the time to do that and I don't think my partner would look to kindly on me disabling our video box to experiment with the dreaded Ubuntu (syn. with Linux to her).

FYI The 950Q is actually selling for pretty much the same price you likely paid for it. I took a look on Newegg yesterday and noticed that it was actually more than what I paid for it 3 years ago. I still do use it occasionally to digitize VHS tapes and record PBS OTA so I'm not yet tempted to sell Smile.
Hey that's a good find on the store. I agree - I buy alot of stuff online but when it comes to media boxes, they're are a pain to deal with online (few reputable sellers, intl shipping etc).

I'm in the GTA area and I think I will drop by and pick up one to give it a go. Maybe even install one of the linux builds on it.
Thanks OP, I have been looking for some current reviews of this box.

(2014-02-04, 03:33)skeetz Wrote: Hey that's a good find on the store. I agree - I buy alot of stuff online but when it comes to media boxes, they're are a pain to deal with online (few reputable sellers, intl shipping etc).

I'm in the GTA area and I think I will drop by and pick up one to give it a go. Maybe even install one of the linux builds on it.

I'm also in the GTA and there is another option that I have been looking at for this MyGica box in Canada. If it is worth the bother to you and you didn't get one already:
http://go.shop.ca/1ed5db3
Shop.ca now has this with free shipping and more importantly free return privileges, if you don't like it. They have had some bad CS comments, but so far I have had good luck with my orders from them.
They have this at $139 with $10 off w/coupon code RETAILMENOT, $15 off over $100 for a new customer, 3% cashback from Ebates.ca, and $3 in Rewards. Also if you know someone who is already registered with these two companies you can get them $25 in credit at Shop and $5 in credit at Ebates.ca by letting them refer you before registering and ordering.
Glad you found it useful. I'm hoping others add their experience (good or bad). So far so good, still.

PS I discovered that you can share video from the iPhone to the ATV1200 (MyGica or Geniatech or EnjoyTV... too many different names that they market themselves as). I streamed a PodCast video directly to the TV as an experiment... in the same way as you'd stream video to an Apple TV.

My son (2 3/4) has figured out how to use the Logitech keyboard/trackpad and is occasionally able to navigate his way around "KidsTube" (it's a Dutch Android app that pulls content from YouTube). It's quite impressive to see him at work because it's a LOT more complicated to disconnect the motion of your hand from your eyes with a TV remote trackpad combo than it is with an iPad/iPhone touch screen. He has to move his hand on the trackpad while keeping his eyes on the TV that's somewhere else. My youngest (1 1/3) has figured out that if he touches the trackpad it moves the cursor on the TV and he likes that--promptly followed by running away with the keyboard so his older brother can't use it Smile Smile Smile.
Hi, I recently got the Geniatech ATV 1220.
I found the DVB tuner not sensitive and outdoor antenna is needed.

This is my first experiance with XBMC and I found it to work very well over WIFI, ~10M from router and 2 walls.

But I hate the supplied AirMouse and looking for a simple 2.4G wireless usb optical mouse.
Quote:I'm also in the GTA and there is another option that I have been looking at for this MyGica box in Canada. If it is worth the bother to you and you didn't get one already:
http://go.shop.ca/1ed5db3
Shop.ca now has this with free shipping and more importantly free return privileges, if you don't like it. They have had some bad CS comments, but so far I have had good luck with my orders from them.
They have this at $139 with $10 off w/coupon code RETAILMENOT, $15 off over $100 for a new customer, 3% cashback from Ebates.ca, and $3 in Rewards. Also if you know someone who is already registered with these two companies you can get them $25 in credit at Shop and $5 in credit at Ebates.ca by letting them refer you before registering and ordering.

Thanks for this post. I just ordered one from shop.ca with the coupons for $25 off, and gave the best price I have seen. First time I have used shop.ca so i hope it is a pleasant transaction overall. Hope it arrives without issue and I look forward to giving it a go. I wanted this model for I refuse to give up my old projection Sony TV which was bought for big money a year before HDMI connections came out. Picture is still perfect but I must always have component so this limits to what I can use....this unit will hopefully do it!

FOLLOWUP: cancelled my order after nothing happened for over a week. Turns out the 3rd party supplier was out of stock, but didn't bother informing me! I contacted Shop.ca several times, the final time I asked for my money back. Within hours my money was refunded to my Paypal account. I give them credit for this, but the whole experience sucked big time. I have dealt many times with EBay, Amazon and found it a much better experience with good communication.
(2014-02-09, 04:55)Jumping Juniper Wrote: Glad you found it useful. I'm hoping others add their experience (good or bad). So far so good, still.

PS I discovered that you can share video from the iPhone to the ATV1200 (MyGica or Geniatech or EnjoyTV... too many different names that they market themselves as). I streamed a PodCast video directly to the TV as an experiment... in the same way as you'd stream video to an Apple TV.

My son (2 3/4) has figured out how to use the Logitech keyboard/trackpad and is occasionally able to navigate his way around "KidsTube" (it's a Dutch Android app that pulls content from YouTube). It's quite impressive to see him at work because it's a LOT more complicated to disconnect the motion of your hand from your eyes with a TV remote trackpad combo than it is with an iPad/iPhone touch screen. He has to move his hand on the trackpad while keeping his eyes on the TV that's somewhere else. My youngest (1 1/3) has figured out that if he touches the trackpad it moves the cursor on the TV and he likes that--promptly followed by running away with the keyboard so his older brother can't use it Smile Smile Smile.

How can you share video from the iphone to the ATV1200, I m new to this.

Thanks
[/quote]

Thanks
[/quote]

I am also curious on how to share a video from iPhone to atv1200.
"Geniatech ATV1200 and XBMC hardware decoding" thread became password protected? Why? :-( I was monitoring it from the beginning and found a lot of help ...
Can someone please support me?

Some months ago I've buyed an ATV1220 Enjoy TV with the following serial number: MD02T3013440076.

How can I understand if the particular product has a Dvb-t or Atsc tv tuner?

Thank you

Thanks
[/quote]

I am also curious on how to share a video from iPhone to atv1200.
[/quote]

I seem to recall that it was as simple as pressing that share button on the iPhone (the one you use to share with an Apple TV).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Geniatech ATV1200 Review (Mygica ATV 1200, Enjoy TV)1