Airplay lag even with powerlines
Hi
I wonder if someone can help me with this……….
Basically I have a Mac Mini in my spare room upstairs from which I stream XBMC wirelessly to my TV downstairs via my Apple TV gen 3.
When watching the content downstairs it lags and stutters (not terribly but it’s too much for me to enjoy it).
Only when I switch from 2.4ghz to 5ghz on the router it works fine but our other devices are not able to use the 5ghz band.
I find it weird that 5ghz works better when its meant to work poorly when not in the same room?
For info I am running the latest version of Mavericks and I have 60mb broadband which on speed tests is getting me 57ish down and 3 up.
I have also purchased http://simpler-networks.com/shop/article...d%3D111%26
I tried the following set up.
Upstairs Mac Mini to Powerline (into mains) via Ethernet.
Downstairs Apple TV to router via Ethernet and router to Powerline via Ethernet.
It still doesn’t run well on 2.4ghz but does on 5ghz.
I have tried the above with the WIFI turned on and off on the Mac Mini and it’s still no good. I should also point out that my down speed drops to around 40mb when using the Powerline.
Am I setting this all up incorrectly?
Is it a setting within XBMC, on my network settings in my Mac or on the Apple TV?
Could it be anything to do with refresh rate between the 3 devices?
I am willing to try anything!!!
Cheers,
Al
Sounds like it's simply a network issue, and not much you can do on the XBMC side. The only thing I can suggest is using a nightly build (wiki) and doing this (such as example 1) : HOW-TO:Modify the video cache (wiki)
A good test might be to just run an Ethernet cable across the floor or whatever just to set a temporary connection and see the difference in speed. If it still doesn't make a difference you've probably got something set wrong. If you get a great connection then you may need to look at other brands of powerline adapters. They're not all equal.
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-01-31, 15:53)wgstarks Wrote: A good test might be to just run an Ethernet cable across the floor or whatever just to set a temporary connection and see the difference in speed. If it still doesn't make a difference you've probably got something set wrong. If you get a great connection then you may need to look at other brands of powerline adapters. They're not all equal.

I will try that.
I hope its not the powerlines as just bought them off ebay (2nd hand)
Hi,
Tried using my Macbook Air (latest with Mavericks) and it still skips frames....this is both wired and non wired.
I really dont know what to do!!
Please help.
Sorry I'm not familiar with ATV but...

Do you need all devices in the same network?
If not, I'd just try to setup a second 5GHz wifi for streaming.
Of course your router have to support that.
(2014-02-03, 14:46)northernmonkeyz Wrote: Hi,
Tried using my Macbook Air (latest with Mavericks) and it still skips frames....this is both wired and non wired.
Please help.

How did you have the MacBook Air wired in?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2014-02-03, 16:47)wgstarks Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 14:46)northernmonkeyz Wrote: Hi,
Please help.

How did you have the MacBook Air wired in?

MB Pro>router via ethernet
Router>Apple TV
Probably need to post a Debug log (wiki).
Thanks for the reply.
I will create a debug log tonight and link to it.
I was so fed up with this last night that I re-installed XBMC and tried it again.
It’s still skipping. I have also now got black bars down the side of the screen now which were not there before.
I also reset the Apple TV 3 and it’s still no better.
I am at a loss!
It’s strange that the Mac Mini (connected to my Dell U2412M) plays the stream flawlessly upstairs via Wifi, so I don’t understand why when it’s streamed downstairs to my TV via Apple TV is so bad (router in the same room as TV).
Could it be conflicts between resolutions or refresh rates?
My TV is 1080i 50ghz if that helps?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Airplay lag even with powerlines0