Virtualizing XBMC
I am looking at creating several virtualized instances of XBMCbuntu on a XenServer 6.2 box with pass-through video for AMD adapters.

I have the first VM up and running and had a couple of questions, and thought someone here may be able to help.

1) Are there any issues with creating a template of XBMCbuntu and cloning it out to the other VMs I will need? I know if I was to do this with Windows I would need to Sysprep the image first, but I don't know if Linux has similar requirements.
2) When using pass-through of the GPU you can't see/access the console on XenServer - only on the TV/Monitor that is connected via HDMI. I am wondering if there are issues disabling the GPU so I can work via console, and then re-enable the GPU to push the image out to the TV. Or is there a better way to manage this?

I am guessing/hoping that there are others on this forum that are doing something similar, and since this is all fairly new to me I am hoping someone has some recommendations/guidance.
Imho disabling the gpu(ie. ripping out the gfx driver or something) will crash xbmc.
Out of curiosity: what are you trying to achieve with this setup?
Is it not possible to simply SSH into the box ?
As I mentioned in the original post, I am looking at virtualizing a couple XBMC clients, but with the dedicated GPU I don't get any display on the XenCenter console. I am trying to pre-plan how to manage these VMs if there is an issue, or if I want to do an update. I plan on having the physical server in the basement, but if I can't manage the VM via XenCenter then I need to hook up a HDMI monitor to the computer in the basement to update/resolve anything. I may be able to SSH into the box as Kib mentioned (I've not tried this), but don't know what level of control this provides.

This isn't an issue now, but I am trying to plan in advance and make sure I understand how best to manage this setup before I move it into production at home.

This is the same idea as my cloning question. I want to use it to create VM 2 & 3 when ready, but also have it as a backup if anything happens to a VM - I want to quickly re-create from the template if I can.
Hi there,

Just wondering how you made out with this, I was thinking of trying this with vmware (Xen could be an option as well as I have been having issues with my vmware setup).

Any info on if you got it working and perhaps some tips for someone trying the same thing let me know Smile

Thanks
I actually gave up and ended up buying Intel NUC endpoints for the machines I was looking at running VMs for. While I was able to pass through the GPU no problem, I was having issues passing through the correct USB ports for the IR receiver. The more I thought about it (including getting USB IR working over CAT6 span and running HDMI) I decided it was just easier to drop in a proper end point.

However, since posting this I've spent a lot more time with Linux/SSH and realize I can manage most things that way - except GUI options which I could manage from the TV.

I liked the premise of this idea, but the reality just didn't make as much sense. I ended up dropping $200-$250 per TV for Celeron NUCs with OpenELEC and have a great end user experience without the headaches. Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virtualizing XBMC0