There is a serious MySQL bug and I don't know how to get devs to notice
I've previously brought this up but no one seemed to notice: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=175535

But the problem remains as far as Gotham Alpha 11 on both Windows and Ubuntu.

Simply put, if an XBMC client has two profiles, a master and a secondary, and the master is using a local DB where as the secondary is accessing a MySQL DB, when you switch from the secondary to the master, it carries all that MySQL info into the master, which should NOT be used, and proceeds to absolutely mess up the local database that the master profile SHOULD be using by getting it all mixed up and scrambled. I have replicated this on multiple two OS's and multiple machines. How do I get someone to at least notice this rather problematic bug? XBMC eating libraries is kinda a bad thing after all.
Funny I never noticed this, but you are correct.
I have exact same setup on my laptop, secondary as MYSQL and master as local.
As I always use the secondary profile at home I never encountered this, but I tried switching and noticed the same bug.

Edit: However, a restart seems to fix it. And best thing to make someone notice it is to make a trac ticket.
(2014-02-01, 01:04)miappa Wrote: Funny I never noticed this, but you are correct.
I have exact same setup on my laptop, secondary as MYSQL and master as local.
As I always use the secondary profile at home I never encountered this, but I tried switching and noticed the same bug.

Edit: However, a restart seems to fix it. And best thing to make someone notice it is to make a trac ticket.

I found that restarting and going back into Master fixes it, for the time, but the local library can be altered by the MySQL library being 'carried over'. And it will repeat again if you go to the secondary profile and back to the master again, once again re-creating the issue and threatening the master profile's local library.

I have an XBMC box in my room, which runs it's own MySQL DB and my roommate has a Ubuntu box in the living room, where my own MySQL DB was the secondary profile. Suffice it to say I, we had to remove that secondary profile because it mangled it watch status, series, and even brought in shows from my MySQL DB that she didn't even have in her own local DB. (Her box doesn't scrape the anime folders). I'm currently 'working around this' by accessing my box's library via UPNP through her account.
I doubt whether any dev will be interested in a bug in alpha 11 unless you can show it still exists in current master.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-02-01, 01:26)nickr Wrote: I doubt whether any dev will be interested in a bug in alpha 11 unless you can show it still exists in current master.

Uno momento! *checks* Issue still present in the nightly for Jan 31st.
Sounds like a familiar issue I've read about. Maybe related to this? http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12082

Sounds like the same bug to me.

A temp workaround might be to have nothing really used for the master profile, and then have you and your roommate's profiles both be secondary profiles.
(2014-02-01, 03:15)Ned Scott Wrote: Sounds like a familiar issue I've read about. Maybe related to this? http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/12082

Sounds like the same bug to me.

A temp workaround might be to have nothing really used for the master profile, and then have you and your roommate's profiles both be secondary profiles.

If the issue is two years old, I'm not thinking so, this issue did not occur till a move was made from Frodo to Gotham. On Frodo the issue did not exist.
It might be that certain conditions need to be met, either on the user's side or in the code, to cause the actual issue. Just a guess, of course.

Though I still think I've heard about this happening from something else. Things "bleeding in" from the master profile. I also hear from the devs that XBMC's profile system is in big need of a makeover for various other reasons as well.
(2014-02-01, 03:35)Ned Scott Wrote: It might be that certain conditions need to be met, either on the user's side or in the code, to cause the actual issue. Just a guess, of course.

Though I still think I've heard about this happening from something else. Things "bleeding in" from the master profile. I also hear from the devs that XBMC's profile system is in big need of a makeover for various other reasons as well.

In our case, we used Frodo on the box but upgraded to an alpha of Gotham for reasons, primarily for multithreaded decoding on the CPU and some other things. That was when it 'started acting weird' but at first we thought it was just screwing up in switching profiles. Slowly we noticed watched status's getting screwed up, all on the master, local DB, though in a few cases the reverse seemed to happen. Eventually the errors got pretty destructive, even some sources vanished from the source list and stopped being scanned during update. It was a real mess till we figured out the cause and set out to actively avoid it.

Since then I've been checking every Gotham Alpha to see if it gets fixed, but I guess no one noticed my initial thread so it was never addressed. I'm just trying to draw more attention to it now since I feel any bug that can alter or damage a library is something to be noted.
We need to know EXACTLY how to reproduce. The best advice is to assume that the devs are 7 year olds and will fail completely to reproduce the problem unless there is a simple, bulletproof, step by step approach to showing the problem.

95% of the time to track a bug is figuring out how to reproduce it. By making this simple, you speed the process up 20 fold.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2014-02-01, 06:17)jmarshall Wrote: We need to know EXACTLY how to reproduce. The best advice is to assume that the devs are 7 year olds and will fail completely to reproduce the problem unless there is a simple, bulletproof, step by step approach to showing the problem.

95% of the time to track a bug is figuring out how to reproduce it. By making this simple, you speed the process up 20 fold.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I've explained how to reproduce it rather clearly, but I'll do it again:

Step 1) Have a 'Master' profile on XBMC that accesses only a local database rather than MySQL.
Step 2) Have a secondary profile that is set to access a MySQL DB instead of a local DB.
Step 3) Start XBMC, access master profile.
Step 4) Log out of master profile and switch to the secondary.
Step 5) Switch back to the master profile.
Step 6) Wonder why everything from the secondary profile's MySQL DB is still displayed when you're in the master profile, and weather the master profile's local database was eaten by evil ghosts.

This occurred 'naturally' in a system that had this set up and was upgraded from Frodo to Gotham. It can be reproduced in MANY versions of Gotham, including the nightly for the Jan 31st. I can readily recreate this on my desktop, which is never used as an HTPC box, with a fresh install of XBMC Gotham Alpha 7 through 11, and the current nightly.
Does it also happen with two local databases (sqlite?)

Does it depend on how much content is in the mysql database, or will a single movie (in both profiles) show the issue?
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

I suppose the next step would be to create a ticket in the bug system?
Once my questions are answered here, sure.

(2014-02-02, 05:37)jmarshall Wrote: Does it also happen with two local databases (sqlite?)

Does it depend on how much content is in the mysql database, or will a single movie (in both profiles) show the issue?

I'd need a couple days to find the time to test this out, since I'm really just an 'end user' I don't have anything more than my current MySQL DB that's in regular use to test on. I'll look at setting up a second 'test' DB on the MySQL server to toy with the scenarios you put out.

But I have to ask, when you say 'Two Local DBs' you mean a pair of locals plus a third using MySQL, not just two locals with no MySQL, right?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
There is a serious MySQL bug and I don't know how to get devs to notice0