Best OS option.
This has probably been covered a million times already but not so tailor made to my build.

So about a month ago I ditched Windows 8 for OpenELEC on my Intel NUC Celeron thingy. Fast as hell and easy to use as just a media center.
Then I got into the idea of making it an emulator too and this is where the wheels fell off. Despite following the retroarch guide on OpenELEC.TV forum to the last letter I could only get SNES emulation to work and that was without sound.

So I figured with OpenELEC being a real bare bones version of linux maybe I should try XBMCBuntu.
Couldn't get the bloody thing to boot up. I think this might be a UEFI but I disabled it in the BIOS yet I still only get a flashing cursor, nothing else.

Next step, the full flagged Ubuntu. This boots, installs and was able to get XBMC working fairly well. Except my pulse-eight CEC adapter was having none of it. I tried the install-xbmc.sh from http://packages.pulse-eight.net/UbuntuInstall but that says it's not supported on the current version of the OS (13 fully updated).

So now I'm back to square one. Do I go back to Windows or is there a Ubuntu version that works fine with my Pulse-Eight adapter?
What do you mean by "my pulse-eight CEC adapter was having none of it"? I thought libcec was fully integrated now, so there's no immediate reason why the adapter wouldn't work on full-fat 'buntu.

What did/didn't it do?
Yeah that's what I read too but sadly nothing. It didn't work at all. No errors, just nothing.

Is it worth trying Ubuntu 12.04 LTS or should Ubuntu 13.10 work and I'm doing something wrong?
Is there another method to install libcec?

Thanks for your time by the way, I appreciate the response.
No, it should work absolutely fine - although I'll confess that my 'buntu system doesn't have an adapter connected, and my adapters are both on OpenElec, so I can't test for you.

Did you check that it was enabled in XBMC? It's in System -> Settings -> Input Devices or somewhere, I think. And was it configured correctly (HDMI device numbers)?

There's also the command-line cec client that you can use to see if the PC is receiving the input from the TV.
I will have a look at that tonight, if it's really that simple i'll pull what little hair I have from my head and offer it to you as a gift.
Fingers crossed, then - I could do wih the extra to augment my thinning pate :-)
Ok got it working.
Probably would've helped if I'd bothered to look at xbmc.log

I kept getting error :

CecLogMessage - error opening serial port '/dev/ttyACM0' : Permission denied

Did some Googling and it suggested adding myself to the dialout group but I already was, that did sweet FA.

On the pulse-eight forums someone said they got it to work by running sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyACM0 and sudo chmod 777 /run/lock/

Tested, working, rebooted, still working. I'm a happy man AND I get to keep my hair!
Damn, and I was looking forward to the extra insulation :-)

Glad you got it sorted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best OS option.0