FFmpeg 2.1 supports VP9 and HEVC, when will XBMC see it?
I was wondering when we will see VP9 playback in XBMC. From what I could find since VP9 is to short of a string to search for on the forums we will have to wait till FFmpeg supports the codec and then for that version of FFmpeg to be merged into XBMC. So we have the version of FFmpeg that supports it since October 2013. Has it already been merged or will it be when XBMC 13 comes out?
maybe you should read the existing thread Smile
If you want to search a 3 letter string use google, with the search term (eg)
Code:
vp9 site:forum.xbmc.org
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Using google site search is the only reliable way to search this forum, three letters or not, as the standard forum search is hopelessly broken, so it's no great surprise you frequently get threads like this and not really the fault of the OP.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-02-04, 09:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: Using google site search is the only reliable way to search this forum, three letters or not, as the standard forum search is hopelessly broken, so it's no great surprise you frequently get threads like this and not really the fault of the OP.

Yep, broken!

Search results for HEVC -

HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review ( 1 2 3 4 ... 16 )

Encoders please stop using HEVC till XBMC supports it...
(2014-02-04, 10:31)Hitcher Wrote: Yep, broken!

I'm not sure if you're supporting my point or not (suspect not!) but I've pointed out the brokenness of the forum search previously - it routinely fails to return the most relevant threads first in the search results.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
(2014-02-04, 10:31)Hitcher Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 09:37)MilhouseVH Wrote: Using google site search is the only reliable way to search this forum, three letters or not, as the standard forum search is hopelessly broken, so it's no great surprise you frequently get threads like this and not really the fault of the OP.

Yep, broken!

HEVC (also known as h.265) - Review ( 1 2 3 4 ... 16 )

Encoders please stop using HEVC till XBMC supports it...

I wouldn't say it's broken but it's not exactly good either.

Try searching for these and see what you get:
VP9
x.265
3D
SBS
OU
MVC
.mov
(2014-02-04, 11:28)MilhouseVH Wrote: I'm not sure if you're supporting my point or not (suspect not!) but I've pointed out the brokenness of the forum search previously - it routinely fails to return the most relevant threads first in the search results.

I'd have thought most people (especially members of this forum) know you use + if you want to search for all words. In which case "+Thumbnails +Cleaner" returns only one thread.

(2014-02-04, 11:38)T800 Wrote: I wouldn't say it's broken but it's not exactly good either.

VP9
x.265
3D
SBS
OU
MVC
.mov

Try searching any forum for common 2 or 3 letters words and you'll see the same results.
(2014-02-04, 11:53)Hitcher Wrote:
(2014-02-04, 11:28)MilhouseVH Wrote: I'm not sure if you're supporting my point or not (suspect not!) but I've pointed out the brokenness of the forum search previously - it routinely fails to return the most relevant threads first in the search results.

I'd have thought most people (especially members of this forum) know you use + if you want to search for all words. In which case "+Thumbnails +Cleaner" returns only one thread.

(2014-02-04, 11:38)T800 Wrote: I wouldn't say it's broken but it's not exactly good either.

VP9
x.265
3D
SBS
OU
MVC
.mov

Try searching any forum for common 2 or 3 letters words and you'll see the same results.

Would you call them common words?
can this pissing contest be taken somewhere else please, that will allow OP to get some answers to questions he asked.... thanks

VP9
x.265
3D
SBS
OU
MVC
.mov

The forum doesn't even allow searches using only three characters or less, it'll refuse to search most of what you listed there.
(2014-02-03, 19:30)yusky03 Wrote: I was wondering when we will see VP9 playback in XBMC. From what I could find since VP9 is to short of a string to search for on the forums we will have to wait till FFmpeg supports the codec and then for that version of FFmpeg to be merged into XBMC. So we have the version of FFmpeg that supports it since October 2013. Has it already been merged or will it be when XBMC 13 comes out?

They won't support it until sometime after Gotham is released. The thinking is that this is supposed to bring greater stability.
(2014-02-04, 17:21)DJ_Izumi Wrote:

VP9
x.265
3D
SBS
OU
MVC
.mov

The forum doesn't even allow searches using only three characters or less, it'll refuse to search most of what you listed there.

are you blind? or just trying to piss me off?
Guys, please take that discussion elsewhere.

On topic:
For VP9 and HEVC support we need to upgrade ffmpeg to a newer version than is currently in the source. This is a big undertaking and usually brings quite a few issues, which is why it is generally done once every release cycle. It was done when development on Gotham started.

At this moment we are in feature freeze for the Gotham release which means no new stuff will go in.

The first time you will see VP9 or HEVC support is sometime after the release of v13.

See the wiki article about HEVC (wiki)
Good job HEVC is four letters :-)

<ducks>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FFmpeg 2.1 supports VP9 and HEVC, when will XBMC see it?0