Linux Suspend from XBMC freezes Intel NUC
Hi,

I'm running the latest XBMC Gotham alpha on my Intel NUC DC3217BY (the one with the Ivy Bridge i3-3217U CPU) with Ubuntu 13.10.

Problem - when I try to suspend my computer from the Shutdown menu in XBMC, my NUC doesn't fully switch off to standby - the monitor turns off, I lose network connectivity with the box, but the power led and fan stays on. It looks like the box just freezes and I have to power it down by pressing power button for a few seconds.

Interestingly, computer goes to standby just fine via pm-suspend command in console.

And yes, I do have all required policykit actions in /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/custom_actions.pkla:

Code:
[Actions for xbmc user]
Identity=unix-user:xbmc
Action=org.freedesktop.upower.*;org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.*;org.freedesktop.udisks.*
ResultAny=yes
ResultInactive=yes
ResultActive=yes

I'm running the latest stock Ubuntu 13.10 kernel:

Code:
Linux htpc 3.11.0-15-generic #25-Ubuntu SMP Thu Jan 30 17:22:01 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I don't see any errors/warnings in /var/log/pm-suspend.log. The last line is "Mon Feb 3 16:26:01 EET 2014: performing suspend" and that's it - computer just freezes after this.

The good thing is that I've managed to find a workaround - with kernel boot parameters "highres=off nohz=off" computer goes to standby just fine when suspending from XBMC. But as I understand this disables tickless kernel support so I'm not sure if this good for the system.

Has anyone experienced similar issues with Ivy Bridge Intel NUC, XBMC and Ubuntu 13.10?

Regards,
kornaz
I have the same issue on my i3, but only with kernels >=3.12, the saucy default kernel works for me.
Interestingly, auto suspend on idle works, just not manually suspending.
Looks like "echo 0 > /sys/power/pm_async" fixes this issue ("highres=off nohz=off" is not needed). I've successfully suspended/resumed my NUC multiple times during the last few days without any freezes after changing /sys/power/pm_async to 0.

kornaz
I updated to Openelec Beta 5 which has pm_async set to 0 (which i double checked in WinSCP), but suspend is still broken.. Whenever i Suspend, it instantly wakes up 2-3 seconds later like it used to before. The only difference is, it doesn't seem to crash or instantly wake up, it seems to only instantly wake up..

I'm using an i3 haswell nuc D34010WYK with Openelec Beta 5.

Kornaz, what NUC are you using? Are you able to post your BIOS settings from the Power Tab in BIOS [the tab with the options on wake on LAN, rapid start technology etc]. I'll replicate your settings and see if i can my NUC to suspend, because so far i'm not having much luck...

Cheers
(2014-04-09, 08:18)invision Wrote: I updated to Openelec Beta 5 which has pm_async set to 0 (which i double checked in WinSCP), but suspend is still broken.. Whenever i Suspend, it instantly wakes up 2-3 seconds later like it used to before. The only difference is, it doesn't seem to crash or instantly wake up, it seems to only instantly wake up..

I'm using an i3 haswell nuc D34010WYK with Openelec Beta 5.

Kornaz, what NUC are you using? Are you able to post your BIOS settings from the Power Tab in BIOS [the tab with the options on wake on LAN, rapid start technology etc]. I'll replicate your settings and see if i can my NUC to suspend, because so far i'm not having much luck...

Cheers

Here you go - http://h.lr.lt/power_settings.jpg . My NUC is an older Ivy Bridge i3 DC3217BY. Are you sure it wakes by itself? Maybe some USB devices wake it up?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suspend from XBMC freezes Intel NUC1