• 18(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-04-24, 23:01)barrmy Wrote: Crouton runs a linux session over chromeOS, whereas chrubuntu boots into the actual OS
So crouton is more for the occasional user (for an app or two), whereas chrubuntu is more for people who will boot into it very often as opposed to chromeOS

I have not seen a workaround for avoiding needing to press CTRL+L during boot time in order boot into the chrubuntu-installed OS (whether it be OpenELEC or anything else)

With either crouton or chrubuntu you can install kubuntu instead, but I don't know of a way to erase the ChromeOS partition altogether

Section 3 "Set boot flags" on the Wiki covers avoiding the CTRL+L.

EDIT: Post made irrelevant by previous post, sorry...I missed it.
Thanks for all the answers. I have one more question from a bit of looking around. I read that AC3 audio is not supported, is this the case in Openelec as well, and will it still work via passthrough (with compatible receiver) or is it completely unsupported?

Sorry, the box is due tomorrow and I'm trying to work out my network setup according to device capabilities ahead of time.
(2014-04-25, 02:31)jsp1 Wrote: Thanks for all the answers. I have one more question from a bit of looking around. I read that AC3 audio is not supported, is this the case in Openelec as well, and will it still work via passthrough (with compatible receiver) or is it completely unsupported?

Sorry, the box is due tomorrow and I'm trying to work out my network setup according to device capabilities ahead of time.

Not sure where you read AC3 wasn't supported, all Bitstream formats work correctly via pass thru over hdmi
Confirmed. Audio works fine via HDMI passthrough to A/V receiver.

Matt,

this K400 is aggravating. What do you recommend? I already have a Logitech harmony 676 remote (old school). What kind of MCE receiver do I need to get and will it work with the version of openelec I got from your WIytxU script? I think I might have had openelec update itself. Should I get a FLIRC? Would that work better for this?
this HP MCE receiver should work with your Harmony: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZGHZ1G/

you might need to update OpenELEC using the latest build in the standalone section though. I've never used Flirc so can't comment on that
Amazing device !
Works like a charm.
I wiped out chromeos and install xubuntu + xbmc.

One flaw in wiki.
Postinstallation instructions on how to short boot time and eliminate ctrl+l will not work if chromeos was wiped out.

Not a biggie. I have a backup to recover chromeos and start from scratch Smile
(2014-04-25, 07:04)uomiarz Wrote: One flaw in wiki.
Postinstallation instructions on how to short boot time and eliminate ctrl+l will not work if chromeos was wiped out.

Not a biggie. I have a backup to recover chromeos and start from scratch Smile

That's why the instructions say to make a backup of ChromeOS on USB for exactly that purpose ;-)

But I agree that a reordering of the sections in the wiki might make sense
Two quick questions to those who already had their units which I didn't see answered in the 18 pages so far.

1. Does Hi10P/1080p/30 files work fine with the $179 version?

2. Is there a way to power it on via remotes? Either IR/Wifi/Z-wave/Whatever

Thanks a lot in advance for the clarification.
(2014-04-25, 17:39)kaiwei Wrote: Two quick questions to those who already had their units which I didn't see answered in the 18 pages so far.

1. Does Hi10P/1080p/30 files work fine with the $179 version?

got an example / sample?

Quote:2. Is there a way to power it on via remotes? Either IR/Wifi/Z-wave/Whatever

Thanks a lot in advance for the clarification.

not that I'm aware of currently. HDMI-CEC might be an option
Let me PM you a link to a sample.
(2014-04-25, 00:16)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-04-24, 22:48)bkastner Wrote: Hey Matt

I just finished setting up an Intel NUC D34010WYK, but am not able to manage it via MCE remote as all the external ports are USB3. Should I be able to use your customer OpenELEC build on the NUC to resolve this?

yes, or just disable xhci mode in the BIOS. The ChromeBox doesn't have that option, hence why I pursued the fix.

There doesn't seem to be the option for xhci mode in the BIOS on the model I have (or the BIOS rev I have). I guess I will have to try your build.
Followed the wiki step for step to dual boot Openelec....the script completed successfully and I set the boot flag, but it just hangs on "Booting from Disk". Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this?

EDIT: Still curious about this, however, I decided to go dedicated Openelec with bootable usb for Chrome OS if needed.
I rebuilt my computer with your build Matt, but the MCE remote control is wonky at best. I have a Rosewill MCE remote/dongle, but only some keys seem to work. I guess I will have to try and remap keys.

Has your experience been similar Matt, or has it just worked/not worked.

This is on the NUC, but I am assuming the experience would be the same on the ChromeBox as the hardware is similar.
(2014-04-26, 02:14)jsp1 Wrote: Followed the wiki step for step to dual boot Openelec....the script completed successfully and I set the boot flag, but it just hangs on "Booting from Disk". Anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this?

when the legacy BIOS comes up, what text is shown? If it's 'SeaBIOS (version -20140214_142106-build123-m2)' then you need to manually update the legacy BIOS using the instructions in section 1.3 of the wiki.

(2014-04-26, 02:19)bkastner Wrote: I rebuilt my computer with your build Matt, but the MCE remote control is wonky at best. I have a Rosewill MCE remote/dongle, but only some keys seem to work. I guess I will have to try and remap keys.

Has your experience been similar Matt, or has it just worked/not worked.

This is on the NUC, but I am assuming the experience would be the same on the ChromeBox as the hardware is similar.

try the MCE key mapper add-on? I don't use an MCE remote, just an MCE receiver with a Harmony One so can't comment on the key mapping. Plus, there are lots of different remotes that claim to be MCE compatible which just map keyboard keys + specific windows commands - those are generally not well supposed under Linux

(2014-04-25, 19:45)kaiwei Wrote: Let me PM you a link to a sample.

Cpu usage spiked and framerate dropped while seeking, but once playback settled it was a solid 24fps:

Got some quick question that are not answered in the wiki,

Do you guys think the Chromebox support port multiplier like this one ? http://www.addonics.com/products/ad5hpmreu.php or a box like this : http://www.amazon.ca/Mediasonic-HF2-SU3S...mediasonic

And would it be able to run torrent 24/7 with FlexRaid, Couchpotato, Sickbeard, MySQL on Ubuntu ?

Is the device powerful enough to transcode to one device using Plex Media Server ?

Thank you !
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8