• 31(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-05-10, 09:18)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 07:58)MacBurp Wrote: Hello to all, been lurking on this thread from day 1, want to get one of these boxes but they ain't here in the UK yet.

Has anyone thought about putting android on one of these things. Some googling shows that android has been hacked onto certain chromebooks, I wondered if there was any reason why you can't do this on the Asus?

Great work getting this box XBMC-ready.

link?

(2014-05-10, 08:00)rufrothy Wrote: Just got a Chromebox today from Fry's here in Silicon Valley. Its now running 13.0 with dual boot to chrome os. Seems to work pretty well so far.
need to move to the HT and test out the bit streaming and my IR receiver.

Thanks for all your work.....

I too am also seeing this 100% cpu issue when idle it seems.

Sean

dual booting Ubuntu or OpenELEC? 100% CPU on one core or both?

OpenElec and the 100% CPU is on one core when the machine is idle. I noticed that when I was running a music scan is was actually lower and once the CPU switched frequencies from 800 to 1400 that number dropped. I need to ssh in and do some analysis and see whats causing this (I am fairly handy with Linux as I do development on it professionally).

Thanks again for the awesome guide. Now its time to put it thought its paces as a playback device and see how it compares to my other XBMC rigs... (Longtime XBMC user since it was XBMP and it wouldn't even play DVD's)
(2014-05-10, 17:16)rufrothy Wrote: OpenElec and the 100% CPU is on one core when the machine is idle. I noticed that when I was running a music scan is was actually lower and once the CPU switched frequencies from 800 to 1400 that number dropped. I need to ssh in and do some analysis and see whats causing this (I am fairly handy with Linux as I do development on it professionally).

Thanks again for the awesome guide. Now its time to put it thought its paces as a playback device and see how it compares to my other XBMC rigs... (Longtime XBMC user since it was XBMP and it wouldn't even play DVD's)

interesting. I do recall seeing that as well, but that was before I upped the RAM to 4GB.

I've been using it since XBMP as well. I used to sell modded Xboxes with XBMC as media players Smile
(2014-05-10, 17:22)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 17:16)rufrothy Wrote: OpenElec and the 100% CPU is on one core when the machine is idle. I noticed that when I was running a music scan is was actually lower and once the CPU switched frequencies from 800 to 1400 that number dropped. I need to ssh in and do some analysis and see whats causing this (I am fairly handy with Linux as I do development on it professionally).

interesting. I do recall seeing that as well, but that was before I upped the RAM to 4GB.

I've been using it since XBMP as well. I used to sell modded Xboxes with XBMC as media players Smile

Perhaps the larger amount of ram automatically dedicates more shared memory with the on-board graphics? I have not seen my cpu idle at above 8% even with heavy skins. I also have 4GB installed, and it seems that 256MB is being set for the GPU, anyone with 2GB care to speculate if they are getting less memory dedicated to GPU use? Without a traditional bios it is difficult to tell.
Any recommendation on what RAM to buy?
I would like to add 2GB or 4GB to existing 2GB. Whatever box supports.
I am in US links to newegg are welcome Smile
thx
(2014-05-10, 21:16)uomiarz Wrote: Any recommendation on what RAM to buy?
thx

HYNIX 2Gb RAM MEMORY 1Rx16 DDR3 PC3L-12800S HMT425S6AFR6A-PB

Exact match to OEM installed ram, for dual channel support. I got mine on ebay for $13 shipped.

It's a little more and not Newegg but here is a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191161624954?lpid=82

I have no affiliation or experience with that seller.
(2014-05-09, 08:20)McButton Wrote: Anyone getting video pauses? I watched several videos tonight that played for 10m then the picture froze. The audio kept playing. I could not end the video and had to unplug the box.

I'm using an Asus Chromebox, newest Gotham, newest openelec, direct boot (not dual os). I noticed the box freeze a few other times while playing a vid and navigating the menus at the same time.

Is the a device issue? I thought maybe file error, but it played fine once I reloaded it. I'm playing off a 2tb wd passport plugged in.

Ideas? I had this issue with Ouya, but it was all files from many types of devices, and they just wouldn't play at all. Am I missing a song somewhere? All works fine on my junktastic laptop, however.

Just happened to me last night. Running Ubuntu 13.10 and Gotham RC1. Video Froze and the audio went on, only way to fix the issue was to hold the power button to reboot the machine. Weird.. I don't have a log tho :/

(2014-05-10, 21:49)jsp1 Wrote:
thx

HYNIX 2Gb RAM MEMORY 1Rx16 DDR3 PC3L-12800S HMT425S6AFR6A-PB

Exact match to OEM installed ram, for dual channel support. I got mine on ebay for $13 shipped.

It's a little more and not Newegg but here is a link...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191161624954?lpid=82

I have no affiliation or experience with that seller.

Would that be good for ram ?

http://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-PC3-10600-2...1BP10XNZQ4
@jsp1
Thx, got it.

I run Xbuntu and gotham from fernetmenta repo.
Currently 2GB of RAM. One CPU is always high even when XBMC is idle ~60%.
With 1080 videos and deinterlacing turned on it hits ~95-98% (depending on what filter is enabled)
Once I got more memory and I can do before/after testing. with same settings.
thx

this is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LDLP8W

(2014-05-10, 22:24)Netix Wrote: Would that be good for ram ?

slightly different model than what I used - see above

(2014-05-10, 22:26)uomiarz Wrote: @jsp1
Thx, got it.

I run Xbuntu and gotham from fernetmenta repo.
Currently 2GB of RAM. One CPU is always high even when XBMC is idle ~60%.
With 1080 videos and deinterlacing turned on it hits ~95-98% (depending on what filter is enabled)
Once I got more memory and I can do before/after testing. with same settings.

one core is always high even with 4GB. Haven't had a chance to investigate
(2014-05-10, 22:55)Matt Devo Wrote:
thx

this is what I used: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LDLP8W

(2014-05-10, 22:24)Netix Wrote: Would that be good for ram ?

slightly different model than what I used - see above

The model you linked is not available on amazon.ca, do you think the one I linked is good enough ?
(2014-05-10, 23:23)Netix Wrote: The model you linked is not available on amazon.ca, do you think the one I linked is good enough ?

the one you linked is a slower speed. The model I used is available on amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005LDLP8W
(2014-05-10, 23:28)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2014-05-10, 23:23)Netix Wrote: The model you linked is not available on amazon.ca, do you think the one I linked is good enough ?

the one you linked is a slower speed. The model I used is available on amazon.ca: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005LDLP8W

Ok thx ! (8$ more for shipping Sad )
well, anything matching the same specs as that one should work fine too
(2014-05-09, 08:20)McButton Wrote: Anyone getting video pauses? I watched several videos tonight that played for 10m then the picture froze. The audio kept playing. I could not end the video and had to unplug the box.

I'm using an Asus Chromebox, newest Gotham, newest openelec, direct boot (not dual os). I noticed the box freeze a few other times while playing a vid and navigating the menus at the same time.

Is the a device issue? I thought maybe file error, but it played fine once I reloaded it. I'm playing off a 2tb wd passport plugged in.

Ideas? I had this issue with Ouya, but it was all files from many types of devices, and they just wouldn't play at all. Am I missing a song somewhere? All works fine on my junktastic laptop, however.

Finally someone having the same issue I'm having. I posted a video of it few posts back. Check it http://youtu.be/MtmYqePujdQ . Now it doesn't happen often it as before and I haven't got it while playing movies just 1 or 2 times while navigating. I haven't had time to test more though just the few times I have used it so not many videos in a row, etc.
I have Xubuntu 12.04 installed and the fixes @tetsuya posted plus kernel update. All is posted few pages back
My XBMC/Kodi folder: addons, skins, addon/menu backgrounds & more
@Veronica
Had same issues with Xubuntu13.10.
Music plays video is frozen.

Installed xbuntu 14.04
I updated to kernel 3.14.1 add tearing fix - so far so good.
Did not seen freeezing yet.
I tried doing a mininimal install using the mini.iso and tried the LxQT DE. I still ended up with the same
60-70% CPU usage as I had with Xubuntu. I then tried the manjaro-openbox-0.8.10-pre2-x86_64.iso and
booted into a live enviroment (I'm lazy and didn't feel like doing another install). I loaded htop and the
cpu usage with thunar, conky, htop, and a terminal open was 1-5% on both cores.

I haven't tried XBMC from the repo, but I didn't have any problems in Xubuntu with it's high CPU usage and
using XBMC. It looks like it's going to have to be manjaro-openbox for me, unless we can figure out why
*buntu's have such high CPU usage.

Note: To load either iso, I had to add mem=1536M to the boot parameters as stated in Acer C720 Chromebook: Installing Arch Linux.
If you don't use this boot parameter ubuntu mini will give the error of not enough memory for install and
manjaro will just reboot.

Note2: Just installed XBMC and tried the first 1080p FLAC 5.1 Hi10p sample file from AVC High 10 Profile sample anime files.
CPU usage 20-98%, averaged at 55%, with 12 dropped frames, and 6 skipped (dropped and skipped only
when first starting). This is looking real good for XBMC and as a desktop (if you don't mind using an Arch
linux based distro).
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8