• 46(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-06-16, 19:36)thePCisDead Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 19:13)Topken Wrote: Oh HP. It looks like they have 4 different boxes on amazon that all have the same specs at different prices.

Just by direct

http://shopping1.hp.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...FGFclsOgXR

link fail, but yeah prolly easiest to buy direct. $199 for the 4GB version isn't a bad deal at all
There is also this apparently http://www.amazon.com/HP-G8Y70UA-ABA-Chr...00KD5RUPA/
(2014-06-07, 00:51)Matt Devo Wrote: The firmware updates posted today only add compatibility with the Core i3/i7 ChromeBox models, and change the default boot from USB to internal HDD. You still have the option to hit ESC and choose to boot from USB (obviously).

Hi Matt, thanks to your awesome script I have almost the perfect chromebox setup, with standalone Ubuntu running Plex.
The last missing piece is the firmware update that mentions what you wrote: default boot changed to internal HDD. Then I can reboot without a keyboard.

Question: how can I install this firmware update from Ubuntu? Or should I make a bootable USB key of some sort?
I don't want to mess up my ubuntu install (was a lot of work to get everything working)

thanks!
(2014-06-16, 22:38)xaphod Wrote:
(2014-06-07, 00:51)Matt Devo Wrote: The firmware updates posted today only add compatibility with the Core i3/i7 ChromeBox models, and change the default boot from USB to internal HDD. You still have the option to hit ESC and choose to boot from USB (obviously).

Hi Matt, thanks to your awesome script I have almost the perfect chromebox setup, with standalone Ubuntu running Plex.
The last missing piece is the firmware update that mentions what you wrote: default boot changed to internal HDD. Then I can reboot without a keyboard.

Question: how can I install this firmware update from Ubuntu? Or should I make a bootable USB key of some sort?
I don't want to mess up my ubuntu install (was a lot of work to get everything working)

thanks!

make a bootable ChromiumOS USB stick as described in the wiki for restoring the stock firmware, but instead just re-download/run the script and update to the latest firmware version. Nothing will change except the firmware Smile
(2014-06-16, 20:17)Topken Wrote: There is also this apparently http://www.amazon.com/HP-G8Y70UA-ABA-Chr...00KD5RUPA/

Really like the white. Just ordered one of the above units to test out (do we need a separate thread for the HP Chromebox?), together with 1 x Asus Chromebox M004U. Too bad it'll probably be two weeks until the two units get here, but I'm looking forward to playing around with these.
(2014-06-17, 04:22)DocG Wrote: Really like the white. Just ordered one of the above units to test out (do we need a separate thread for the HP Chromebox?), together with 1 x Asus Chromebox M004U. Too bad it'll probably be two weeks until the two units get here, but I'm looking forward to playing around with these.

I don't think we need a separate thread unless issues are discovered that are unique to the HP ChromeBox. The latest Coreboot/SeaBIOS updates should work on the HP model as well, I'll just need to update my script to handle it. But I'd prefer to have someone test for me first, so PM me once you have it and are ready to give it a go
Will do. Unless somebody else will get theirs first.
What memory specs work with the celeron chromebox? I ask because the NUC uses 1.35 volt, but can't seem to get any specs other than ddr3-1600 for the chromebox
(2014-06-17, 14:55)hudhacks Wrote: What memory specs work with the celeron chromebox? I ask because the NUC uses 1.35 volt, but can't seem to get any specs other than ddr3-1600 for the chromebox

It uses DDR3L low voltage memory just like the NUC. I tried regular 1.5V DDR3 in mine and no-likey...

The stick that came in mine is labeled DDR3L.
(2014-06-17, 14:55)hudhacks Wrote: What memory specs work with the celeron chromebox? I ask because the NUC uses 1.35 volt, but can't seem to get any specs other than ddr3-1600 for the chromebox

OEM mem stick is HYNIX 2Gb RAM MEMORY 1Rx16 DDR3 PC3L-12800S HMT425S6AFR6A-PB

Any matching specs stick will work obviously, but you can find these on ebay from time to time.
Guys, I have standalone OpenELEC set-up and installed Chromium browser via OE's unofficial add-ons. I can sign into Netflix, and browse content, but no videos will play. Is it possible to do Netflix? If so, how? Thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
(2014-06-20, 22:19)hdmkv Wrote: Guys, I have standalone OpenELEC set-up and installed Chromium browser via OE's unofficial add-ons. I can sign into Netflix, and browse content, but no videos will play. Is it possible to do Netflix? If so, how? Thanks.

it won't work until Netflix switches video playback over to HTML5 from silverlight. There used to be workarounds for older versions of Chrome under linux, but not anymore.
Ah okay, thanks.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
Just a friendly reminder to all the Australians who ever thought of getting one of these units off ebay, today is the day, at 15% off. Wink
Nevermind
  • 46(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8