• 51(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
Hi

Have read a lot here now, but I`m getting confused. I`m wonder to buy this: HP CHROMEBOX CB1-020NO.

Will this support 3D (stereoscopic for my TV and receiver, mentioned in the signature), 23.976/24.00 playback, DVD iso?
I think it will support the other stuff I have.
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
The HP and Asus Chromeboxes are both based on the Haswell Celeron 2955U processor.

This will play DVD ISOs in OpenElec no problem. It will also handle 23.976Hz (and I believe 24.000Hz - but haven't got any 24.000Hz content to check)

It will play SBS and TAB half-resolution 3D content (i.e. 1920x1080 consisting of 2x960x1080 eye views or 1280x720 consisting of 2x1280x360 eye views). It won't hardware decode MVC as used by Blu-ray on-disc (but neither does XBMC). I don't know if it will play 3840x1080 or 1920x2160 (or 2560x720 or 1280x1440) full-res SBS/TAB and output them as frame packed 1080p or 720p.

It will bitstream DTS HD and Dolby True HD audio as well as multichannel and high-bitrate and high-bit-depth PCM over HDMI.
Thanks for an great answer. Don`t understand everything of this, but I`ll try.

It will play SBS and TAB (TAB I don`t know what is) in half res. It sound promising.

I googled this, and from what I can understand, it will play H SBS, but it would maybe lag a little,
when this is not going to be hardware decoded.
I`m not sure about this, it was an old thread
(http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-th...ution.html)

I don`t have many 3D movies now, but maybe I`ll start buying..

At the end, it will tolerate every normal things, the problem can be the 3D stuff?
SBS = Side By Side
TAB = Top And Bottom

SBS is used mainly for stuff shot 1080p or 1080i, whereas TAB is sometimes used for stuff shot 1280p.

HSBS/HTAB is usually where the 3D stuff is squeezed 2:1 vertically or horizontally to fit into the same resolution as a 2D 1080i/p or 720p signal. As such it is identical, in video terms, to a 1080i/p or 720p video signal - so there should be no problems (I hate the word lag as it suggests an A/V sync issue rather than dropped/skipped frames etc.) if the platform can play a 2D signal in the same format, and my experience of the Chromebox is that it is fine with 1080i/p and 720p content (even with a YADIF 2x deinterlace of the 1080i stuff I play - all 50i)

If you are buying 3D movies on Blu-ray, XBMC won't play them under Linux. Blu-ray uses MVC (Multi View Coding) which encodes one eye as a regular 1080p (or 720p) H264 AVC video stream (which is what is played on 2D players or for 2D TVs) with a secondary stream containing an MVC stream that contains the difference between the H264 stream and the other eye feed (exploiting the large amount of redundancy present in the two eye feeds). AIUI MVC decoding hasn't been implemented in ffmpeg yet, and as such isn't present in XBMC.

It is possible to rip Blu-rays to Full resolution SBS 3840x1080 (or is it 1920x2160?) H264 MKVs using third party software - and these may or may not play on the Chromebox. I don't have the kit to check I'm afraid at the moment.
(2014-08-16, 01:06)noggin Wrote: If you are buying 3D movies on Blu-ray, XBMC won't play them under Linux.

xbmc won't play them on any platform.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-16, 01:26)nickr Wrote:
(2014-08-16, 01:06)noggin Wrote: If you are buying 3D movies on Blu-ray, XBMC won't play them under Linux.

xbmc won't play them on any platform.

No - but you can configure an external player like PowerDVD under Windows AIUI - so you can play them from within the XBMC UI (though with video playback handled by PowerDVD?) AIUI there isn't a 3D Blu-ray player app for Linux, so this isn't possible?
Then I think I`m going for one of this.

How can it play 3d But then not play 3D?
There is no Blu-Ray reader on the unit, so it can`t play. If you rip the movie, isn`t possible to rip it a way that fits this unit?

Thnaks for the help :-)
(2014-08-16, 14:01)pettergulbra Wrote: Then I think I`m going for one of this.

How can it play 3d But then not play 3D?
There is no Blu-Ray reader on the unit, so it can`t play. If you rip the movie, isn`t possible to rip it a way that fits this unit?

Thnaks for the help :-)

It can play HSBS 3D no problem at all (I've just done this whilst testing a 4K Sony HDTV with a Chromebox connected). HSBS 3D is two 960x1080 eye feeds next to each other in a 1920x1080 video stream. As far as the video hardware in the Chromebox is concerned this is identical to 2D 1920x1080 video. XBMC is clever enough to have a stereoscopic mode that means that menus, subtitles etc. are rendered on top of the video so that they work in 3D. You also usually have to switch your 3D TV into SBS mode as well with the 3D button or similar on the remote.

The problem with Blu-rays is that even if you connect an external Blu-ray drive (very easy to do via USB) or have ripped your Blu-rays to ISOs (easy to do another PC) you can't play 3D Blu-rays within XBMC as they are in a format (MVC) that XBMC doesn't play. You would, at best, just get the 2D-Compatible 1080p picture.

It is possible either to rip 3D Blu-rays to H SBS (so they play fine on the Chromebox) or to rip them to Full HD 3840x1080 SBS (or possibly 1920x2160 TAB) by re-encoding using H264 (there is at least one third party app that will do this) However I have no idea if XBMC and the Chromebox will output this content in Framepacked mode (which is 1920x2205 over HDMI - 1920x1080 for one eye, 45 lines of blanking then 1920x1080 for the other eye). I have no real way of checking as I don't have the 3rd party app.
Thanks, then I understand a little bit more.

This 3D things is a little bit more complex I see. Thanks again. :-)

For about the double price I can get an Nuc D34010WYK 4GB ram and 30GB HDD.
Will this handle something more than the HD Chromebox, i know it`s got more power,
but what will the real benefits be, other than a little bit faster GUI?

If there is no big differences other than hardware, and the IR, then the question is really easy to answer for me.
Anyone got Windows running well on one of these?

I need to run one of these in a room for kids and it must be 'kid proof' - I know how to do this with Windows (using EventGhost).

Maybe what I need is great in OpenELEC? I'm a Windows guy and don't want to spend a time learning how to get things up in Linux. I'll use OpenELEC if it as easy as copying over my Windows XBMC User folder, hooking up the Bluray & IR.... and "it just works" ... possible?

planning to run:
BluRay - usb connected (I don't care about 3D)
IR remote
Windows Media Center on a 'back-end' server so the PVR plugin for XBMC will need to work in OpenELEC (does it?)

thx for the help!
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(2014-08-17, 21:30)Livin Wrote: Anyone got Windows running well on one of these?

I need to run one of these in a room for kids and it must be 'kid proof' - I know how to do this with Windows (using EventGhost).

Maybe what I need is great in OpenELEC? I'm a Windows guy and don't want to spend a time learning how to get things up in Linux. I'll use OpenELEC if it as easy as copying over my Windows XBMC User folder, hooking up the Bluray & IR.... and "it just works" ... possible?

planning to run:
BluRay - usb connected (I don't care about 3D)
IR remote
Windows Media Center on a 'back-end' server so the PVR plugin for XBMC will need to work in OpenELEC (does it?)

thx for the help!

OpenELEC is more kid-proof than Windows. IR and PVR are no problem, but Bluray playback from disc under Linux isn't ready for prime-time yet. If you need that, you need Windows, which means you should be looking at a NUC or a Brix, rather than a ChromeBox.
With OpenElec you can only see the Movie on your BR, you don't see the Menu.

"I'll use OpenELEC if it as easy as copying over my Windows XBMC User folder, hooking up the Bluray & IR.... and "it just works" ... possible?"
-> Try it, it will cost only 1 hour and dan save you 80 eur for an Windows License Wink

In OE you can use WMC PVR Frontend when you use an WMC Backend on your Server.
| myHTPC |
Don`t want to be a pain in the ass, can someone please help me with my question on the last lines in the post? (edited)
I installed Ubuntu on a asus chromebox (2955u version); and all works fine 'cept wake from suspend via usb device (keyboard/mouse/...).
-
I saw a couple of posts back in May saying that this was an issue that Matt was investigating. Is this still an issue or is there a way to fix it? I installed it Aug 9th so it has a fairly recent copy of coreboot. Ubuntu was 14.04 which has an ok kernel but I could try mint if it is a kernel issue.
(2014-08-17, 10:47)pettergulbra Wrote: Thanks, then I understand a little bit more.

This 3D things is a little bit more complex I see. Thanks again. :-)

For about the double price I can get an Nuc D34010WYK 4GB ram and 30GB HDD.
Will this handle something more than the HD Chromebox, i know it`s got more power,
but what will the real benefits be, other than a little bit faster GUI?

If there is no big differences other than hardware, and the IR, then the question is really easy to answer for me.

there's going to be essentially zero difference between the Core i3 NUC and celeron ChromeBox when it comes to any aspect of GUI performance or hardware-accelerated video playback, 3D or otherwise, when running OpenELEC. I have both the Core i3 and celeron ChromeBoxes, and there's no difference outside of CPU usage when using software decoding (eg, HI-10 content).

(2014-08-18, 13:51)dontknowhow Wrote: I installed Ubuntu on a asus chromebox (2955u version); and all works fine 'cept wake from suspend via usb device (keyboard/mouse/...).
-
I saw a couple of posts back in May saying that this was an issue that Matt was investigating. Is this still an issue or is there a way to fix it? I installed it Aug 9th so it has a fairly recent copy of coreboot. Ubuntu was 14.04 which has an ok kernel but I could try mint if it is a kernel issue.

it's going to be strictly a OS / kernel config issue. USB wake from suspend works correctly on OpenELEC (4.1.3+) and Fedora 20 (with updated kernel) that I've tested.
  • 51(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8