• 52(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
Matt Devo:
Thanks, then it is decided. I`ll going for ChromeBox. It half the price.

:-)
Petter :-)
Many thanks for all the effort YOU all do! THANKS! :-)
nVidia Shield TV (2015), Samsung QE75Q70R and Yamaha RX-V767
Matt DeVillier helped me out. He noted that the machine requires a new kernel for wake to function properly. Updating the kernel manually to 3.14.xx fixed the issue. Ubuntu 14.04.1 uses 3.13.x

(2014-08-18, 13:51)dontknowhow Wrote: I installed Ubuntu on a asus chromebox (2955u version); and all works fine 'cept wake from suspend via usb device (keyboard/mouse/...).
-
I saw a couple of posts back in May saying that this was an issue that Matt was investigating. Is this still an issue or is there a way to fix it? I installed it Aug 9th so it has a fairly recent copy of coreboot. Ubuntu was 14.04 which has an ok kernel but I could try mint if it is a kernel issue.

I might be mistaken but one difference between i3 and 2955u is the hd engine with regards to max resolution over hdmi. I know that hd4400 supports 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz (not sure about 60hz but certainly higher than 2955u).

Not sure it matters but thought I would mention it as a difference.

(2014-08-18, 15:28)pettergulbra Wrote: Matt Devo:

dontknowhow:
That resolution (4K) I don`t think I need in a couple of years.
Just bought new TV.
I was mistaken kernel 3.14.14 does not fix the wake issue; oh well any suggestion would be helpful. Maybe a newer 14 kernel ?

Honestly...I would just go with an Amazon FireTV and hack XBMC onto that. I just built one this weekend for a friend and it ran XBMC as good as my high end quad core i7 HTPC. I was truly amazed at how well it ran...even streaming HD movies via wifi. I still can't believe how well it performed. I don't think you could go wrong with it for $99.
(2014-08-18, 20:30)mbuhler Wrote: Honestly...I would just go with an Amazon FireTV and hack XBMC onto that. I just built one this weekend for a friend and it ran XBMC as good as my high end quad core i7 HTPC. I was truly amazed at how well it ran...even streaming HD movies via wifi. I still can't believe how well it performed. I don't think you could go wrong with it for $99.

the FireTV, being Android-based, has plenty of limitations:
- no HD audio
- no auto refresh-rate setting (eg, 24p)
- limited local storage

if you're ok with that, then it's a good solution, otherwise something like the ChromeBox for $150 is a better fit
(2014-08-18, 20:30)mbuhler Wrote:

Honestly...I would just go with an Amazon FireTV and hack XBMC onto that. I just built one this weekend for a friend and it ran XBMC as good as my high end quad core i7 HTPC. I was truly amazed at how well it ran...even streaming HD movies via wifi. I still can't believe how well it performed. I don't think you could go wrong with it for $99.

And, not available in Norway....
(2014-08-18, 20:30)mbuhler Wrote:

If you're in Europe Android (which includes the FireTV) is a far-from-great platform for XBMC as it doesn't support automatic frame rate switching (and I'm not sure the FireTV supports 50Hz output at all?). This side of the pond we need frame-rate switching as our domestic content is 50Hz, whilst a lot of movies are 24Hz. Autoframe rate switching between 50Hz and 24Hz (or 60Hz with 3:2 pulldown) is pretty much vital for an XBMC platform - whereas in North America a fixed 60Hz refresh rate is less of an issue. Big issue for us here. (And HD Audio bit streaming is also quite important)

The Chromebox is massively better than any Android platform as an XBMC platform - though Android offers other benefits like Netflix etc.
50/25 Hz is not just Europe, it's basically anywhere outside North America AFAIK.

24 (or actually 23.976) Hz is a problem even in North America.

Which is why I wonder why anyone, anywhere, raves about Android/FireOS performance for video media.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-08-19, 01:16)nickr Wrote: 50/25 Hz is not just Europe, it's basically anywhere outside North America AFAIK.
Yes - Australia, New Zealand, Russia, most of Africa, large parts of Asia (including India and China), and some parts of South America are 50Hz too... As you say 60Hz is really an "Americas + a bit of Asia" format.

Quote:24 (or actually 23.976) Hz is a problem even in North America.
Yes - but for some reason lots of 60Hz viewers are immune to 3:2 pulldown effects so happily watch 24p at 60Hz - as that is how broadcast TV has handled it for decades.

Quote:Which is why I wonder why anyone, anywhere, raves about Android/FireOS performance for video media.
Me too... It's a pity Linux development for the platforms that run both Android and Linux appears to have ceased. It was a much better pure media player experience under Linux than Android - though I can understand people wanting Netflix etc. I'm still amazed that it's so hard to get a Netflix player solution that outputs 24p native.
There have been rumours of Netflix starting in NZ next year, then I might get interested in that!!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
As long as it can handle the stuff it handles in windows, as my setup is now. Just a little better..
Then it is all ok.
For people who know wake from USB works on their chromebox; which kernel do you have installed ?
It's work since my first install with 3.14 and I'm on 3.16.1 now.
(2014-08-18, 17:54)dontknowhow Wrote: I might be mistaken but one difference between i3 and 2955u is the hd engine with regards to max resolution over hdmi. I know that hd4400 supports 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz (not sure about 60hz but certainly higher than 2955u).

The 2955U generated [email protected]/24/25/29.97/30Hz and [email protected]/24Hz connected via HDMI to a Sony 4K UHD set when I tested it on Saturday with my Celeron Chromebox running OpenElec.

The Haswell chips only support HDMI 1.4 not HDMI 2.0 (which introduced 50 and 60p UHD output) BUT in theory 4:2:0 50p and 60p does just squeeze over HDMI 1.4 bandwidth (though 4:2:0 over HDMI was only formally introduced with HDMI 2.0) I doubt Intel will add 4:2:0 4K @ 50/60p (but nVidia have for some of their cards...)
  • 52(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8