• 57(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
Quick update to my post #345:

YES, Schiit Gungnir (an external USB DAC) works perfectly with my ASUS Chromebox M004U running standalone OpenELEC. And sounds absolutely amazing!!!
(Hi-Res FLAC --> Chromebox --> USB --> Gungnir --> XLR --> Yamaha A-S2000 --> PS Audio xStream Statement --> KEF 205).

Just plug everything together and select the Schiit audio output in the settings.

@fedman41 #797: I used the 1/8" as main output for a while now (my old USB DAC broke). It's ok. But if you listen to your music (rather than just play your music), I recommend an external DAC. As the Gungnir works, I highly assume other Schiit products will work too! They start at $99: http://schiit.com/products/modi

Cheers

(2014-04-30, 01:49)deppdudepp Wrote: Thanks for this great work! I got my Box running with dedicated OpenELEC on it. Just like post #200 resp. #205 I was not able to boot after the first installation. So I just did steps 1.3, 1.4, 1.7, and 2.2.1 again. (Without creating a new bootable install stick). And it works like a charm.

Now I have a question. Can an external DAC be used over USB? I am particularly interested in a Schiit Bitfrost or Gungnir ( http://schiit.com/products/gungnir ). Any experiences?

Thanks
What is a safe operating temperature. I keep looking at my CPU temp and I get worried I dont want to fry my machine.
It will shut down before it fries. It will also get pretty noisy if you mange to really heat it up.
I got my Asus Chromebox after reading all the great info on this thread (and also threads comparing it to the NUC), and I'm really pleased.

Kudos for Matt for making the EZScript, you made our lives so much easier!

I installed OpenELEC dual-boot, and everything works fine. However, I see from the wiki and from this thread, that dual-boot doesn't support Wake On Lan correctly, because in this case we still use the stock firmware, and its suspend feature is problematic (AFAIU). Is there however a way to patch the firmware only to enable a possibility for WoL, and still be able to dual-boot?
Hey guys
Frys electronics has it for $119 till tomorrow.
(2014-11-25, 14:56)orensol Wrote: I installed OpenELEC dual-boot, and everything works fine. However, I see from the wiki and from this thread, that dual-boot doesn't support Wake On Lan correctly, because in this case we still use the stock firmware, and its suspend feature is problematic (AFAIU). Is there however a way to patch the firmware only to enable a possibility for WoL, and still be able to dual-boot?

WoL works fine, it's resume from suspend that doesn't, due to the TPM chip. When the system resumes, it tries to verify things with the TPM, that fails, so the system reboots rather than resuming. In Ubuntu at least, one can mitigate this by disabling the TPM from the kernel command line, but that doesn't work for OpenELEC.
joseacevedo,

Where are you seeing this deal at? I can't seem to find it!
(2014-11-25, 21:57)zlittell Wrote: joseacevedo,

Where are you seeing this deal at? I can't seem to find it!

in-store only, requires a promo code. see: http://slickdeals.net/f/7413072-it-s-bac...e-only?v=1
Can anyone tell me if this setup plays multichannel flac files at 24/96?

These are DVD-Audio files that are ripped to flac multi channel lossless.
I have done this with openelec over HDMI (I'm pretty sure I have done 192 kHz 5.1 as well). Be sure to set the correct number of channels (i.e. 5.1) in the audio section of the setup menu. FLAC is not bitstreamed to your receiver and therefore xbmc needs to know how many channels to send.

(2014-11-28, 01:10)dastick Wrote: Can anyone tell me if this setup plays multichannel flac files at 24/96?

(2014-11-28, 01:10)dastick Wrote: Can anyone tell me if this setup plays multichannel flac files at 24/96?

Pretty certain I've played multichannel FLACs with high sampling rate and depth on my Chromebox over HDMI.
Awesome, thanks guys.

Now to land one on sale...
looking to order one of this by tomm, should i get the 2gb or 4gb model, all i plan to do is run openelec but i also dont want any complications, ie with video playback, ram usage, slowdowns
etc.
2GB is plenty for OE
(2014-11-28, 05:36)Matt Devo Wrote: 2GB is plenty for OE

thanks man
  • 57(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8