• 50(current)
Asus Chromebox announcement
(2014-07-15, 23:48)DocG Wrote:
(2014-07-14, 01:02)melter Wrote: important for anyone looking to buy a chromebox and plans to watch Hi10p content on it:

I bought the base chromebox (Celeron 2955U) a few weeks ago and have ran into issues with Hi10p content. I watch alot of 1080p Hi10p encoded anime, and the problem arises with scenes where there is a "film grain" effect (during flashbacks for example in "Another - Episode 10") this only happens on SOME anime, mostly with larger file size episodes (more reference frames maybe?). Anyway, the video just stops to buffer for 30 seconds, continues play back for 10-20 seconds, then stops to buffer again. As soon as the film grain flashback ends, playback continues smoothly.

CPU usage is about 50% during regular scenes and 80%-98% during scenes with film grain. Memory usage remains below 20% (I added a second 2GB stick of RAM for total of 4GB), and I am also playing from a USB 3.0 connected HDD (which I also tested on my Desktop PC and had no issues); so I am sure this problem is caused by the CPU.

Thanks for the info. I mustn't have watched anything with grain yet, but I'll test Underwater's Another Episode 10 (will be streaming directly off my NAS, though).

Edit: Ran through the file a few times, and the maximum number of drops I had was 6. Yes, 6! Generally a couple right at the beginning, and then a few more during the OP when the picture has a lot of grain. That also seems to be the only time where fps wander a bit, otherwise it's a stable 23.98 all the way through. During some scenes I see one of the cores jump to 100%, but without affecting fps and without causing any further drops. Subjectively, I'd have to say the file played absolutely fine. Definitely no stopping and buffering anywhere. Could this be caused by something else, and not the CPU?

P.S. I'm running that particular Chromebox (Asus with 4GB RAM) in dual-boot with Chrome OS and OpenELEC 4.0.7.

Ok, I did some more testing, and found some interesting reults:

When I first boot my chromebox (again, OpenELEC 4.0.7), and play the video (Another Episode 10 - filmgrain scene), it plays perfectly smooth. However, after I play some other random Anime/Movies, when I go back to the Another Episode I get the buffering problem.

Could this be related to the temperature of the CPU increasing causing it to throttle? Or something else entirely?
(2014-07-17, 03:54)melter Wrote: Ok, I did some more testing, and found some interesting reults:

When I first boot my chromebox (again, OpenELEC 4.0.7), and play the video (Another Episode 10 - filmgrain scene), it plays perfectly smooth. However, after I play some other random Anime/Movies, when I go back to the Another Episode I get the buffering problem.

Could this be related to the temperature of the CPU increasing causing it to throttle? Or something else entirely?

I never turn my Chromebox off, it's always on, and quite often something is playing. Still had no issues with that file. Don't think it's the CPU overheating, and it doesn't really get all that hot. I can, however, play some music with Goom and then try playing the file again, just to see how it plays with a warm CPU.

Edit: Tried to stress the machine as much as I could from within XBMC, and it seemed to have little effect. No buffering, number of drops remains within the single digits. File still played absolutely fine for me.
I followed the instructions thoroughly and the hardest thing for me was the resolution of the chromebox to my TV. I had to really be careful within linux to make sure i type the commands correctly. Other than that, this is a very KILLER setup that I am extremely happy with. I chose to go the Openelec standalone route, and it is super fast, reliable, and responsive. Thank you MATT!!

Here's my setup just to show you how quick reboot is and also show the following:

http://youtu.be/7gKnTf_Akaw?list=UU-NdSd...OuRJi9n8Rw

- stream movie
- stream tv shows
- stream sports

Hope this helps some of you out!
Hi,

Thanks Matt for all your efforts creating and maintaining your very helpful script.

I was hesitating between a Nuc, brix and a FireTv, and now i am a happy owner of Celeron Chromebox. So thank you very much.

For the price, this ultra-compact pc is awesome, it runs very silent with no over-heating while maintaining respectable performance for the price.

Right now i am dual-booting OpenElec / win8.1 x86.

Here is my feedback for Windows 8.1, all is working great, except for HD Audio from HDMI.

There is a lot of users complaining about Intel drivers on supported hardware, so for unsupported it seems a lost cause.

Any one succeeded ?

Thanks
Intel's Win8 audio drivers disable HD audio for celeron-based systems, I'm not aware of any workaround currently
The issue for me is no sound at all from Hdmi output Sad
(2014-08-02, 22:47)desperado77 Wrote: The issue for me is no sound at all from Hdmi output Sad

Honestly, Windows really isn't a supported platform for the Chromebox, and I don't have an HDMI receiver to test with
(2014-08-02, 22:47)desperado77 Wrote: The issue for me is no sound at all from Hdmi output Sad

I've got the same issue, tested on my Celeron-based Chromebox and my i3.

(2014-08-02, 22:56)Matt Devo Wrote:

Honestly, Windows really isn't a supported platform for the Chromebox, and I don't have an HDMI receiver to test with

That, of course, is true. It's too bad though, seeing everything else seems to work so nicely (well, except having that one unknown device still hanging around). Would just be nice to have Windows run on it as well.
Hello,

I'm looking at a Celeron based Chromebox with a USB TV tuner as an XBMC solution. My build should be able to do the following:

-> Play local video files from a USB drive (mostly 720p with some 1080p)
-> Tune and deinterlace live TV
-> Download torrents

Is the Celeron beefy enough to play a local video files or deinterlace live TV while downloading a torrent?

Thanks in advance.

-Neil Cool
(2014-08-11, 05:42)nengland Wrote: Hello,

I'm looking at a Celeron based Chromebox with a USB TV tuner as an XBMC solution. My build should be able to do the following:

-> Play local video files from a USB drive (mostly 720p with some 1080p)
-> Tune and deinterlace live TV
-> Download torrents

Is the Celeron beefy enough to play a local video files or deinterlace live TV while downloading a torrent?

Thanks in advance.

-Neil Cool

Probably, now that hardware acceleration is fixed (mostly) the cpu usage is really low during 1080p high bitrate stuff. I think an efficient torrent client should run without any problems. I don't know about "Tune and deinterlace live TV" though...sorry. I imagine that may require a good deal of buffer as well if it is HD content and the 16GB SSD might not be ideal for that. A USB 3.0 portable would have sufficient speed to cover drive space though.
i've got a hdhomerun and don't have any issue deinterlacing 1080i on my chromebox.
I don't have any issues deinterlacing 1080/50i Freeview HD stuff on my Chromebox (no buffer issues at all with the SSD that I've noticed).

However with YADIF 2x deinterlacing one of the CPUs is usually sitting at >80%. If I select Bob it drops significantly - but so does the quality. If you were watching Live TV and doing something else in the background you might have some issues with YADIF 2x, and have to drop down to Bob. But you can't have everything!

1080p and 720p will be minimal in CPU terms - it's 1080i Live/Recorded TV that takes the processing power, on native interlaced content (stuff shot natively progressive is less of an issue). If you live in a region that uses 720p rather than 1080i for TV you're laughing anyway (as there's no de-interlacing).
(2014-08-12, 00:07)noggin Wrote: I don't have any issues deinterlacing 1080/50i Freeview HD stuff on my Chromebox (no buffer issues at all with the SSD that I've noticed).

However with YADIF 2x deinterlacing one of the CPUs is usually sitting at >80%. If I select Bob it drops significantly - but so does the quality. If you were watching Live TV and doing something else in the background you might have some issues with YADIF 2x, and have to drop down to Bob. But you can't have everything!

1080p and 720p will be minimal in CPU terms - it's 1080i Live/Recorded TV that takes the processing power, on native interlaced content (stuff shot natively progressive is less of an issue). If you live in a region that uses 720p rather than 1080i for TV you're laughing anyway (as there's no de-interlacing).

are you running openelec? i believe YADIF was integrated into OE at some point and is enabled by selecting "deinterlace" as the method. however i don't remember reading anything about yadif 2x. link?
Yes - OpenElec. The deinterlace option selects YADIF 2x (i.e. 50i is de-interlaced to 50p) not YADIF (which would be 50i de-interlaced to 25p) - or what is described as YADIF 2x in VLC.
Hi Matt, awesome script!

I have the HP Chromebook with ubuntu 14.04, audacity, and pyaudio. I have microphone/line-in, audacity and pyaudio all playing fine on my desktop pc, but having problems with recording on the Chromebook.

Wondering if anyone else has tried recording audio via the line-in on the combo 3.5mm jack? I have a 3.5mm splitter for the headphones / microphone. Anytime I try to record audio I get bad crackling in audacity, pyaudio, or any recording method.

I seem to have one issue where recording via the 3.5mm microphone, and monitoring audio over the HDMI seems to fill up some buffer and just fails out after a few seconds. If I monitor the microphone over the same 3.5mm headphone jack, I don't have any issues besides the crackling. I'm willing to live with listening over the 3.5mm headphones, but the crackling is an issue.

Googling the issue, I have used alsamixer to turn down PCM, and tried the PulseAudio - default.pa: tsched=0 fix, but no luck there either.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated. Going to try OpenELEC next (if it can even be used for something like this), and maybe fedora. Or is there another NUC, or the Asus Chromebook that anyone has experience with recording without crackling noises? TIA
  • 50(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Asus Chromebox announcement8